Peter King:. Monday 4-16-18 column.

PIZ

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What I took away from his article above everything else is that the Dolphins are serious about trading up for a QB and must have talked to several teams in the top seven about it.

Its amazing the east could turn into the nfc north

6 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

It's getting closer and GMs are still keeping their poker faces on. Just speculation by King here. If he's correct, then 5 or 6 looks like a good target. I don't think the G-men  take a QB at 2, and we know the Browns aren't taking 2 QBs ( I think ..lol) . It's not as rosy a scenario as moving up to #2, but not all bad and not as expensive. 

Agreed, I was expecting to read it and find a nugget that was new that would be detrimental to a trade up but pretty much everything has been covered except kings speculation. 

That said, when giving your opinion of who your draft, as the writer, extra picks do nothing for you. He gave the option each time it was appropriate, but said who had pick. Good read, but not a needle move either way imo

The top 4 is set

CLE-Darnold

NYG-Barkley

NYJ-Mayfield

CLE-Chubbs

The action starts with Denver. Do they take Quenton Nelson or do they go with Josh Rosen?

Indy, TB, Chicago, SF, Oakland are all potential trade downs

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What I took away from his article above everything else is that the Dolphins are serious about trading up for a QB and must have talked to several teams in the top seven about it.

Not a good sign if we let NYJ and Miami to be more desperate than us for QB.

As nervous as I have been about not getting in the top four...

Browns-Allen/Darnold- I think Darnold is the pick but this is the Browns.

Giants-Barkley/Chubb

Jets- Allen/Mayfield- I think Mayfield is the pick.

All-in-all when buffalo has their chance to move up and strike for a lesser cost, they will most likely have Rosen and Allen available.

My top 4

Mayfield, Rosen, Allen, Darnold.

My train of thought goes like this...anyone of those 4 guys has more value at 7 than any of the 4 would it the Bills traded all the way up to 2.

Allen@7 is better value than Mayfield@2

Mayfield@7 is better value than Rosen@2

Rosen@7 is better value than Darnold at 2

on and on...

If the Bills can be sure to get one of the top 4 at 7 that seems like the best plan to me. I know there is some risk in waiting and they would have to feel the board but that is my ideal situation. 

Edited by Commonsense

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

My top 4

Mayfield, Rosen, Allen, Darnold.

My train of thought goes like this...anyone of those 4 guys has more value at 7 than any of the 4 would it the Bills traded all the way up to 2.

Allen@7 is better value than Mayfield@2

Mayfield@7 is better value than Rosen@2

Rosen@7 is better value than Darnold at 2

on and on...

If the Bills can be sure to get one of the top 4 at 7 that seems like the best plan to me. I know there is some risk in waiting and they would have to feel the board but that is my ideal situation. 

Allen in no situation is better than anyone.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't buy all this negative press about the QBs.  Some of these GMs are hoping to push some names down the board.

For the last 12+ months, all we've been hearing is how ridiculously deep and talented this QB class is.  How it was the best class in years.

Now suddenly, everybody is so "flawed" - their chances of succeeding have plummeted through the floor.

(On a side note, I also find it interesting how flawless of a prospect Carson Wentz has become in hindsight.)

Andrew Luck-type prospects come around every 15-20 years.  That is not a valid comparison. 

When you compare these guys to other QB prospects from past years, I find it very unlikely (especially considering the need around the NFL) that we don't see 4 quarterbacks in the Top 10 and at least 5 in the first round.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Allen in no situation is better than anyone.

Allen has a ton of value at 7, you see it differently and that's okay. All 4 of these guys have flaws and having to use multiple first round picks to take one over another doesn't look like the smartest play. McD and Beane could survive a swing and miss at 7, I'm not so sure they would if they go all the way up the board and still miss.

Just now, Commonsense said:

Allen has a ton of value at 7, you see it differently and that's okay. All 4 of these guys have flaws and having to use multiple first round picks to take one over another doesn't look like the smartest play. McD and Beane could survive a swing and miss at 7, I'm not so sure they would if they go all the way up the board and still miss.

Nobody survives a swing and a miss on a QB.. He either hits or in 2 years he will need another job.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

Nobody survives a swing and a miss on a QB.. He either hits or in 2 years he will need another job.

Ozzie Newsome got a second go after missing on Kyle Boller (and trading up to get him).  But I agree not many do. 

6 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Ten days until the drafts, so no need to go down this road again, but Allen has no business in the first round.

Of all the knocks these other three have, none of them are playing poorly against inferior competition.

None of them are getting a pass for that inability because of the "team around them," when the QB who started in 2015 for Wyoming (Coffman) completed 63% of his passes, with essentially the same roster.

I could see Denver taking the route that Oakland and Dallas have recently, taking Nelson at 5 and waiting on round 2 or later to add Rudolph / White type to the mix with Keenum / Lynch.  If 2 of the top 4 QBs clear Denver, the price to move should be VERY reasonable, frankly if 2 QBs are on the board I'd laugh at Indy asking for #22, I'd offer them #12 and 2 picks in the 53-65 range.  Once you get into the 6-7-8 range, you know you are getting the same level prospect at 12, teams are going to be calling us to make a move up.  

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

I could see Denver taking the route that Oakland and Dallas have recently, taking Nelson at 5 and waiting on round 2 or later to add Rudolph / White type to the mix with Keenum / Lynch.  If 2 of the top 4 QBs clear Denver, the price to move should be VERY reasonable, frankly if 2 QBs are on the board I'd laugh at Indy asking for #22, I'd offer them #12 and 2 picks in the 53-65 range.  Once you get into the 6-7-8 range, you know you are getting the same level prospect at 12, teams are going to be calling us to make a move up.  

That's the caveat with Denver, they are only two years removed from taking Paxton in the first. Very few GMs get to draft two first round QBs.

I think Elways needs to build that team for a run with that defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

That's the caveat with Denver, they are only two years removed from taking Paxton in the first. Very few GMs get to draft two first round QBs.

I think Elways needs to build that team for a run with that defense. 

The defense has fallen off a cliff, but they've had a terrible o-line and no running game for several years.  I think Elway recognizes it hasn't been set up for any QB to succeed and they answer that instead of tossing in another guy who is fighting an uphill battle.

The real funny thing is if the Giants and Denver do pass on QBs and the Jets gave up 3 2nd round picks to take the same QB at 3 they would have gotten at 6.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ozzie Newsome got a second go after missing on Kyle Boller (and trading up to get him).  But I agree not many do. 

Well its possible to survive technically, but Beane's bestus chance at saving face if he drafts a busted QB is AJ McCarron. That's a bit of a long shot in itself