Chris Brown 4-13-2018 Fan Friday Column

Happy Friday the 13th Bills fans! The draft is fast approaching. Let’s get to your questions on Twitter at @ChrisBrownBills.

1 – @ChrisBrownBills
For a team without a consensus starting QB for the last 22 yrs, does trading up to take 1 of a deep class of QB prospects in the 2018 draft constitute “reaching”? Can Beane/McDermott afford to kick this can down the road?

Keith Archie

@ASCREEN07

CB: I think we are all of the belief that all the stockpiling of Buffalo’s draft capital, which is at a record level in terms of assets, was not done to add nine players to the roster (their total number of picks). It was done to provide them with the ammunition to get a quarterback in this year’s class.

For a plan that has likely been a year in the making, I find it hard to believe that the Bills will not make every attempt to trade up to grab one of the QB prospects they feel is worth the price of moving up the board to select.

Although there will be a couple of options in next year’s draft at QB – Auburn’s Jarrett Stidham, Washington’s Jacob Eason, Missouri’s Drew Lock – those players, with the possible exception of Stidham, have to show dramatic improvement on the field in 2018 to be in the same category as the QBs in this class.

Now is the time to strike and the Bills have the assets to make it happen.

:beer:

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just remember when trading all those picks going all in on QB could possibly cost us Ed Oliver next season.  Not to mention no quality help at WR, Oline, MLB for a long time.  I am just saying

$100M in salary cap space in 2019 says hello. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just remember when trading all those picks going all in on QB could possibly cost us Ed Oliver next season.  Not to mention no quality help at WR, Oline, MLB for a long time.  I am just saying

I have yet to see any inference that the cost (potentially) in 2019 would be more than either be a 1st or 2nd rd pick... I am sure we can "survive" giving up whatever picks may be required without crippling this team "For A Long Time" as you seem to be suggesting...

Edited by DefenseWins

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

$100M in salary cap space in 2019 says hello. 

so build a complete team this draft and overpay for QB next year.  Lamar Jackson and MLB, G, WR, C, CB and $100M in 2019 sounds like an incredible future to me for our Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

I have yet to see any inference that the cost (potentially) in 2019 would either be a 1st or 2nd rd pick at worst... I am sure we can "survive" giving up whatever picks may be required without crippling this team "For A Long Time" as you seem to be suggesting...

our oline is a mess, as are our linebackers and wide receivers.  We could use CB depth.  If we trade both 1s, both 2s, and next years 1(which will be top 5 IMO if we trade all that) that will set back Buffalo 3 years at the very least IMO

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Like who? 

Lamar Jackson in 2019

Like who in 2019 for C?  For G?  For WR?  For MLB? For OLB?  For CB?

Just now, Pete said:

our oline is a mess, as are our linebackers and wide receivers.  We could use CB depth.  If we trade both 1s, both 2s, and next years 1(which will be top 5 IMO if we trade all that) that will set back Buffalo 3 years at the very least IMO

This is quite the fallacy.  It hasn't set back the Eagles who built their team around a QB they paid a King's ransom for. 

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Lamar Jackson in 2019

The assumption that we will hit on those draft picks to fill said holes would be premature.

Id prefer to take the risk on hitting the QB spot.

It’s also an assumption we will not have any quality picks left once trading up. 

1 minute ago, dlonce said:

The assumption that we will hit on those draft picks to fill said holes would be premature.

Id prefer to take the risk on hitting the QB spot.

It’s also an assumption we will not have any quality picks left once trading up. 

The reason why they accumulated all of that draft capital is to finally fill the QB void and now some are afraid to spend it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The reason why they accumulated all of that draft capital is to finally fill the QB void and now some are afraid to spend it. 

I do not understand how any fan of this team, fans of mediocrity at best regarding the QB position, can

honestly believe we are better off skipping a QB. This is the year to do it.

The strength of this draft by far is QB.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Absolutely true ! Why should we be in position to draft a QB with the picks this year and not do it ? Your pink underwear is showing if you are afraid to trade up for a QB . Remember 22years without a franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wily Dog said:

Absolutely true ! Why should we be in position to draft a QB with the picks this year and not do it ? Your pink underwear is showing if you are afraid to trade up for a QB . Remember 22years without a franchise QB.

No need to out anyone. :lol:

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

Aaron Rodgers.

Someone is coming to hand you a cup my friend. :lol:

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Lamar Jackson in 2019

Lamar Jackson in 2019??  Please explain