Bills better off waiting on qb?

Bfanlc

Would the Bills be better off waiting until Tua Tagovailoa graduates or leaves early than to draft a qb this year? Imo he is already better than the qbs in this years draft. If not he definitely has the potential to be. Why not wait, fill some needs this year and next, then draft Tua? Plus it gives us the chance to see what AJ can do and he can mentor the kid when he comes in.

He was certainly impressive for Alabama in the National Championship game, but it's too small a sample on which to base a team's future plans.  That strategy is further complicated by the fact that if Tua is that good, he will without question be the first overall pick in whatever draft he participates in (2020?).  You will have to do a complete tank job to be assured of getting him because teams in the top spot in the draft are almost always looking for a franchise QB.  If you're not that team, the team with the top spot is not going to trade it to you at any price if they need a QB.  Moreover, Tua Tagovailoa is a freshman this year, isn't he?  Whatever his graduating class, you don't know if he will choose to come out the year before or wait and finish up his college eligibility like Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph have done.  If you decide to tank for a specific player, you have to do it in his junior (or redshirt sophomore) year, and if he choses not to enter the draft, do it all again the following year.  Maybe the OP is OK with that, but I suspect the larger portion of the fan base will be ready to tar and feather everybody in the whole organization from Terry Pegula on down to the ticket takers.  I suspect the team is not willing to go there.

58 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We’ve seen him play 30 minutes of good football. UGA blew a coverage on that last TD. He could be good but no one knows how good yet. 

I've actually seen more of him than 30 minutes. He is actually that good. He is like Russell Wilson and Johnny Manziel mixed together. 

I do agree that any team that tanks to get the number one player isn't a team I want to watch. I'm not sure on his desire to finish college. He is very smart and faith oriented. He may graduate or he may leave early. I don't think money is what motivates him or his family. And yes it is me, Tua ;)

23 hours ago, Bfanlc said:

I've actually seen more of him than 30 minutes. He is actually that good. He is like Russell Wilson and Johnny Manziel mixed together. 

I do agree that any team that tanks to get the number one player isn't a team I want to watch. I'm not sure on his desire to finish college. He is very smart and faith oriented. He may graduate or he may leave early. I don't think money is what motivates him or his family. And yes it is me, Tua ;)

:sick:

Eeeeew

Nothing against Tua, he may be all that and a slice of pizza but That's Some Nauseating Admixture.

Now if you said Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan or something

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/14/2018 at 11:59 PM, Bfanlc said:

Yeah I think I’ll wait until he plays a full game  before determining his nfl  potential 

On 4/14/2018 at 8:59 PM, Bfanlc said:

Russell Manziel, Johnny Willson, Johnell Wilziel, Russohnny Mansell

Why would we want that? 

On 4/16/2018 at 10:22 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah I think I’ll wait until he plays a full game  before determining his nfl  potential 

No, we need to start tanking NOW or we’ll miss the boat!  #draftcapital

On 4/14/2018 at 11:59 PM, Bfanlc said:

He resembles Steve Young to me.

He's played more than 30 min. The kid is unbelievable.

• Like (+1) 1

As others have pointed out, Tua has played more than just 30 minutes of football, and he has been a play maker in every instance.

For 2017, he threw a TD for every 7 pass attempts. In comparison, none of the top prospects in the upcoming NFL draft can match that.

Mayfield, based on overall CFB career, was the closest at 10.

Darnold, based on per season, was the closest at 8 in 2016.

Fromm, a true Frosh last year, and a player that many people on this board think will be good, is at 12.

Matt Wyatt, an analyst for Miss State, broke down all of Tua's pass plays for 2017. You can find those here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP_0UKjRtvOyBnqG0A4d6ig

You watch those, and you can see why Bama fans are really excited about Tua. And it's not based on 1 half of football, or 1 good play in NCG.

With that, I think the kid is going to be great, but I want to see at least 1 full season of him as the starter where defenses are game planning against him.

Once that happens, we can come back talk about it.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Sure. !@#$ it. Let’s wait another 22 years! To hell with this draft and our best chance in three and a half decades to land a blue chip QB.

Let’s keep our draft capital and address the !@#$ing guard position!

Blue chip lol

23 hours ago, Cynical said:

As others have pointed out, Tua has played more than just 30 minutes of football, and he has been a play maker in every instance.

For 2017, he threw a TD for every 7 pass attempts. In comparison, none of the top prospects in the upcoming NFL draft can match that.

Mayfield, based on overall CFB career, was the closest at 10.

Darnold, based on per season, was the closest at 8 in 2016.

Fromm, a true Frosh last year, and a player that many people on this board think will be good, is at 12.

Matt Wyatt, an analyst for Miss State, broke down all of Tua's pass plays for 2017. You can find those here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP_0UKjRtvOyBnqG0A4d6ig

You watch those, and you can see why Bama fans are really excited about Tua. And it's not based on 1 half of football, or 1 good play in NCG.

With that, I think the kid is going to be great, but I want to see at least 1 full season of him as the starter where defenses are game planning against him.

Once that happens, we can come back talk about it.

I dont think you should put much wait on garbage time in 60-0 blow outs. That is where the majority of his time was played. 

Lets see how he does next year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

No, Take the shot while you can.

Who knows if he translates into anything. Who knows when he comes out, who knows if the Bills will be in a position to draft him.

but since he plays for Alabama, I'm sure we will have a certain poster here telling us how he is the reincarnation of Peyton Mannin, Tom Brady, Mike Vick, Aaron Rodgers and Jamarcus Russel combined. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.