BIlls' Armchair GM: If trade-up price is too high, Go to Foles!

Ok we have a ton of draft capital. But the reason I am not feeling very optimistic is that we have major holes, especially with the unexpected retirements. Looks like we either give up our entire draft capital to get one of the 3 or 4 QBs (still not sold on Allen) and go with these major holes or fill the holes everywhere else, but have a glaring hole under center (much as I like McCarron's signing - even I know our first option should be someone else as our long term starter.

I have seen mocks popping up having the BIlls not giving up an arm and a leg, maybe moving to 6 or 7 and still getting Mayfield or Rosen. That is probably the best case scenario for the Bills - but if QBs go early, that aint gonna happen.

So here is my strategy. Wait for the draft. If the QBs we like are gone by the time of our targeted modest trade up (to 6 or 7), then we trade 12 or 22 down to a late first rounder in the 26-31 range. If it is 12, we should maybe get a 26-28, a second and next year's first and if it is 22, we should roughly get a 26-31 and a second.

Then offer the 26-31 to Philadelphia for a first. Howie is on record saying the Eagles did not get an offer of a first for Foles. I feel a 22 may be too high for him, but maybe a 26-31 is not too bad. And it is not that Philly has tons of offers. Getting Foles is likely the only way to simultaneously fill all the holes we have with relatively cheap draft picks and also not have a glaring hole under center.

I know some people are not sold on Foles - so I am only suggesting it as the fall back option. If a Rosen or Mayfield falls to 6 or 7, trade up without giving up too much draft capital. If not, trading with Philly for Foles does look attractive for both sides. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

It’s not the worst idea in the world. 

I’m not sold on Foles - despite his Super Bowl win. But he’s worth a late first if we are desperate. 

Honestly i I would rather give it a go with Jackson or Allen or Rudolph....with 22 or later. 

It's risky giving up a 1st round pick for a journeyman QB on the last year of his contract.  Would we be willing to give Foles a big contract based on a magical playoff run and one good season under a QB friendly Chip Kelly offense?  Why not give AJ a chance and then make a run on Foles next year if you're still unable to draft a franchise QB in next year's draft?  I get the urgency for a QB.  It's the same urgency we had in the 2013 draft that led to us to reach for EJ.  It's the same urgency in 2004 that led us to reach for Losman as Donahoe was frustrated he couldn't find a trading partner for Roethlisberger. 

I'm all for trading up to get a QB, but if we can't do that then rebuild your roster with the picks we have.  If that means we're horrible this year with AJ at the helm then so be it.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Agree, not the worst proposal by any stretch. A potentially acceptable plan B or C.

But most - say 90% - of the crowd here are hell bent on getting one or two guys and will be bitterly disappointed if we don't land their guy. For me, that guy is Mayfield. But ultimately, I have faith in Beane to make the right call based on his performance so far.

• Like (+1) 1

Considering all the departures through FA and retirement it would be a wise move, but not for a first. OL is on life support. Our LB and WR corps are mediocre at best with Zay possibly getting suspended. Keeping our top picks and going into the season with Foles/ McCarron/ Peterson isn't horrible. Heck, it'd be our best QB line up in 20 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Considering all the departures through FA and retirement it would be a wise move, but not for a first. OL is on life support. Our LB and WR corps are mediocre at best with Zay possibly getting suspended. Keeping our top picks and going into the season with Foles/ McCarron/ Peterson isn't horrible. Heck, it'd be our best QB line up in 20 years. 

I’d be ok with a 1st even. Not 12 though. We’d still have a 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds to fill voids. That would be better than trading all those to move up to 2 IMO. I’m sorry but Foles looked like the real deal in the playoffs and especially the Super Bowl. Yeah he had a bad go in St. Louis and Kansas City wasn’t that great either, but in the right system, he’s a hell of a QB..

Edited by Seanbillsfan2206

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Ok we have a ton of draft capital. But the reason I am not feeling very optimistic is that we have major holes, especially with the unexpected retirements. Looks like we either give up our entire draft capital to get one of the 3 or 4 QBs (still not sold on Allen) and go with these major holes or fill the holes everywhere else, but have a glaring hole under center (much as I like McCarron's signing - even I know our first option should be someone else as our long term starter.

I have seen mocks popping up having the BIlls not giving up an arm and a leg, maybe moving to 6 or 7 and still getting Mayfield or Rosen. That is probably the best case scenario for the Bills - but if QBs go early, that aint gonna happen.

So here is my strategy. Wait for the draft. If the QBs we like are gone by the time of our targeted modest trade up (to 6 or 7), then we trade 12 or 22 down to a late first rounder in the 26-31 range. If it is 12, we should maybe get a 26-28, a second and next year's first and if it is 22, we should roughly get a 26-31 and a second.

Then offer the 26-31 to Philadelphia for a first. Howie is on record saying the Eagles did not get an offer of a first for Foles. I feel a 22 may be too high for him, but maybe a 26-31 is not too bad. And it is not that Philly has tons of offers. Getting Foles is likely the only way to simultaneously fill all the holes we have with relatively cheap draft picks and also not have a glaring hole under center.

I know some people are not sold on Foles - so I am only suggesting it as the fall back option. If a Rosen or Mayfield falls to 6 or 7, trade up without giving up too much draft capital. If not, trading with Philly for Foles does look attractive for both sides. 

Nope 

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

now that's a stretch

Foles record as an Eagles QB (including playoffs):

WL 20-11

Completion percent 62%

TD-INT 55-19

QBR 61

Compare these to McCarron and extrapolate, they're nearly identical.  McCarron has about 1/6 the game experience, but giving up a first for a McCarron clone would seem risky at best.  Foles is a Dow Joneser, probably more exciting than Tyrod, but I'm for giving AJ a shot before coughing up a first for Foles.

Foles was not very good this time last year and was about to retire to be a pastor.  Now he's the savior of the franchise?  Or is it more likely that he was on a great team with a top OC/HC that dumbed down the playbook for him and just did what he had to do to not screw it up too bad over a 3 game stretch?

16 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Foles was not very good this time last year and was about to retire to be a pastor.  Now he's the savior of the franchise?  Or is it more likely that he was on a great team with a top OC/HC that dumbed down the playbook for him and just did what he had to do to not screw it up too bad over a 3 game stretch?

Haven't we had enough of retread QBs as the guy to lead the Bills past mediocrity?   Beyond that, the OP, like many others, ignores The Eagles situation with Wentz and the value they place on Foles as a cheap insurance policy.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

The flip side being that if 4 guys go in the top 5 and we don’t get one.... are we better off taking a guy like Rudolph? 

As a plan b (or maybe c, d or e) - grabbing roquan at 12, trading back from 22 a little to add assets, and going foles late 1, and then having 5 day 2 picks to address WR, OL and a backup RB wouldn’t upset me too much. I’d be disappointed by not getting a top prospect but happier than getting a second tier rookie