Why Picking Josh Allen Would Be Disasterous

Domdab99

11 hours ago, Mat68 said:

So if Allen becomes a franchise Qb and Mayfield does not, does analytics in football die?  

I cant wait until the draft when all of this will hopefully stop. I cant wait until allen lights it up in the nfl

6 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Reminds me of the Rams and Goff.

Had f*ckall there at first.

Went out and got him weapons for year two.

Maybe they can just have Mayfield play in high heels.

I'm sure there are a few pairs left lying around that Rex forgot in storage when he was shoved out the door.

I’m ok with building around the QB going forward and don’t feel like everything needs to be in place today ... he’s going to be here 5 years at least. But i also think you need to maximize the rookie qb window when they are cost-controlled. And if he’s not even going to be ready to play for 2+ years you are already putting yourself behind. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m ok with building around the QB going forward and don’t feel like everything needs to be in place today ... he’s going to be here 5 years at least. But i also think you need to maximize the rookie qb window when they are cost-controlled. And if he’s not even going to be ready to play for 2+ years you are already putting yourself behind. 

yeah.

i was just saying that, as with the Rams, IF the bills drafted allen, they would have to:

-get 2+ above average WR's

-retain clay and/or add another offensive TE

-shore up the Oline

All by the start of next season.

Similar to the Rams adding weapons for Goff.

If Allen wasn't ready by next year, it would be a sh*tshow, so I agree with you.

I think the Giants would be a GREAT fit for him.

-Eli under contract for 2 seasons, although they can "get out from under" it after this year, with I think only 5-6 mil in cap hit if he's released/retires, giving Allen the option of playing 2 seasons on behind Eli to learn

-QB guru coach

-OBJ to bail him out when he becomes the starter

Tried to take an objective non biased re-look at Josh Allen

Scouts see the two ridic throws he makes a game and the twice a game he evades pressure like Roethlisberger and drool.

The negative traits just shouldn't be ignored though so easily.

He has what I call Johnny Manziel itis since he'll at times run out of clean pockets for no reason at all.

The current fatal flaw he has is he'll make jump throws off his back foot vs pressure--when it was a sideline throw they were all intercepted in the games I watched, in the NFL those are easy pick sixes.

This is the key for me I think if he doesn't fix that he busts for sure, if he fixes that he might be alright.

He will Hackenburg screens and quick WR throws. Honestly if you have issues throw a ball accurately 20 feet in front of you with no defenders in the way how in the world are you a #1 pick.

Regardless, he'll have his ALLENAHHHHHHHHS b/c that's just how gunslingers go.

The narrative Josh Allen had bad WR's is bull****, sure once in awhile they couldn't catch a pass because Allen threw it too hard but Allen also has significant placement issues. Not to mention "they couldn't get open" is a pathetic excuse, you actually want to see that in college for QB's because they're not as open in the NFL. The most wide open WR in the neb/iowa games Allen still missed because ofc he did.

He has all the traits the old school looks for but they gotta stop ignoring the flaws. He's got a bazillion more upside than Hack ever had but still the attitude that those flaws don't matter whatever lol losers on the internet you know nothing is annoying.

That all said, the NFL definitely wants Josh Allen to be a hit to laugh at the internet and nerds forever.

If my worst case comes true and the Bills take Jackson I'll come around as I'd hope Allen hates would as well. In the end though, it's all just words and numbers. The article explaining his offense and its anti screen or short easy pass propensity combined with 1 more completed pass a game puts him at over 60% completed is a good example of #s and talk can be twisted any way you want to argue it. In the end, all we can do is wait and see bc we just dont know. Our druthers get in the way in the mean time. We shall see!!

1 hour ago, Derby Dan said:

crazy post.  Josh Allen has been number one on their board for awhile.  Has the arm strength to play in the wind at the Ralph (I don't like new era) until the downtown stadium is built.  Has the athletic ability and mobility to make plays.  Rosen is a china doll, Mayfield too short and has horrible foot work, and darnold will be gone.  Please don't say Jackson, we just traded his twin to the browns.  The only other qb they may go after is rudolph

Dunkirk Don is that you?

39 minutes ago, Derby Dan said:

People keep asking me that question and no.  I have no idea what that is all about. 

Who is this guy?  

Google

54 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

If my worst case comes true and the Bills take Jackson I'll come around as I'd hope Allen hates would as well. In the end though, it's all just words and numbers. The article explaining his offense and its anti screen or short easy pass propensity combined with 1 more completed pass a game puts him at over 60% completed is a good example of #s and talk can be twisted any way you want to argue it. In the end, all we can do is wait and see bc we just dont know. Our druthers get in the way in the mean time. We shall see!!

This is why I bit the bullet and just put in time (probably too much time) watching game film of each of the top QB this year.  It's harder to twist what you see.

Of course that can beg the question of whether what you see, is what you think you see...

This is a referendum on Beane and his decision making. If he picks this guy by trading the resources talked about, it better workout and not in 3-4 years. This guy comes with known risk of a very high nature, he also has tremendous potential. Why would he risk everything to get maybe an incremental talent upgrade? Don't see it and I wouldn't do it.

Edited by horned dogs

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s definitely intriguing. My reasons for wanting to go a different direction is I don’t think this is a good situation for him to develop. From unproven offensive and qB coaching to current lack of weapons and unproven OL.  And he’s the one who needs the most development imo and is given excuses based on the team around him. That said, like i indicated when Watson’s accuracy was under heavy scrutiny this time last year, i think Allen does have the ability for pinpoint precision ball placement. It is the consistency of that placement that is in question.

Also, I don’t doubt the Bills love him. He’s a high character, hard working, intelligent, physical freak. I do think they are self -aware of the situation the kid will be walking into. He won’t even have a starting QB to learn behind. The best place for him is somewhere like NYG, LAC, Steelers, Pats. 

The Bills know they need a guy who is going to be ok dropped into a starting role. And i think they wanted that, too, the way they traded their starting QB and slow played the FA QBs almost like it didn’t matter. They need to define who that QB is who can step right in if he earns the job. I would guess that’s Rosen or Mayfield. But we will see. 

I agree except I have a strong feeling that they like Darnold a lot more than Mayfield. With respect to Allen I too hope he goes to the right team (which is not the Bills). I say that because I like to see people succeed and speaking as a football fan Allen's talent is so prodigious that if he can develop he'd be awesome to see play.