Todd McShay: How 2018 QBs Grade VS Previous First Round Qbs

McShay has the Top 4 QBs all ranked higher than Mahomes, Flacco and Watson. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23115321/todd-mcshay-nfl-draft-grades-every-first-round-qb-2008-plus-2018-top-qbs

Luck: 99

Matt Ryan: 98

Winston/ Bradford/ RG3: 97

McShay has Darnold at 94 - the same grade as Tannehill who went 12th overall. 

He has Rosen and Allen at 91 along with Bortles (18th), Wentz (10th), Goff (11th). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Dude said:

McShay has the Top 4 QBs all ranked higher than Mahomes, Flacco and Watson. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23115321/todd-mcshay-nfl-draft-grades-every-first-round-qb-2008-plus-2018-top-qbs

Luck: 99

Matt Ryan: 98

Winston/ Bradford/ RG3: 97

McShay has Darnold at 94 - the same grade as Tannehill who went 12th overall. 

He has Rosen and Allen at 91 along with Bortles (18th), Wentz (10th), Goff (11th). 

Revisionist history.  No one was higher on Ryan than they currently are on Rosen.

17 hours ago, alanvh2o said:

probably the most shocking on the list EJ Manuel. Not a good grade at all.

Shocking?  Why?  He should never have been picked until round 3. That was a terrible draft pick and the pre-draft analysis was right on.  He was a one read QB and then run in college.  He just wasn't the gifted athlete like Vick, Taylor and other to be able to scramble at run at the pro level.  He therefore needed to become a pocket QB with a 10 cent brain.  Nice guy, terrible QB.  

17 hours ago, alanvh2o said:

probably the most shocking on the list EJ Manuel. Not a good grade at all.

It’s McShay’s grades.  They are terrible and he has been proven to be awful many times.  Gabbert threw 16 tds in a spread his last year.  Locker was a 54% passer.  Bortles had a very similar college career to EJ in a worse conference. 

all these ratings prove is how awful McShay is at scouting qbs.  

33 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know he doesn't play well against the Bills, but generally he is just not that bad of a QB and keep in mind the last time anyone saw him he had his team at 8-5.

Tannehill is the definition of meh.  Not awful but definitely someone you should try to upgrade. 

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

God... McShay should be embarrassed for this being publicized  :blink:

I know.  It’s like he should be keeping this a secret instead of making it public.

and don’t forget about him saying Jevon Snead was a 1st qb. He wasn’t drafted and was out of the nfl in a year.  

29 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Rosen has been a better prospect than Goff and Darnold his entire life.  he was the Chosen Rosen for a reason, top recruit in the country, certainly best player in CA

Right, WAS, but currently, he takes a couple of points off because his durability concerns.

Concussions are no joke.

Your chance of another one increases after every one you've sustained.

**Note: I want Rosen. He's my guy in this draft. If we sell the farm for him, I'm good with it**

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Right, WAS, but currently, he takes a couple of points off because his durability concerns.

Concussions are no joke.

Your chance of another one increases after every one you've sustained.

**Note: I want Rosen. He's my guy in this draft. If we sell the farm for him, I'm good with it**

I think that is overthinking it.  Take the best player.  I remember Drew Brees was available and nobody wanted him because he had shoulder concerns.  Only the Saints and Dolphins were interested.  Thank god he didn't go to the Dolphins.  You can't predict injuries.  Every football player will get injured at some point.  It's just part of the game.  Maybe Rosen had concussions in college but Darnold likes to run and maybe he has a career ending injury week 1.  You never know

53 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know he doesn't play well against the Bills, but generally he is just not that bad of a QB and keep in mind the last time anyone saw him he had his team at 8-5.

I agree, he really isn’t that bad overall and does seem to play poorly against the Bills. I guess I was just surprised to see such a high rating for him because even at his best he’s kind of just “OK”.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I think that is overthinking it.  Take the best player.  I remember Drew Brees was available and nobody wanted him because he had shoulder concerns.  Only the Saints and Dolphins were interested.  Thank god he didn't go to the Dolphins.  You can't predict injuries.  Every football player will get injured at some point.  It's just part of the game.  Maybe Rosen had concussions in college but Darnold likes to run and maybe he has a career ending injury week 1.  You never know

Previous injuries increase the risk for future injuries.

This is a non-debatable medical fact.

Brees' shoulder was a complete mess, and it was a miracle he could even throw the ball again, let alone at such a high level 

These are medical facts 

Just like Bradford and Bridgewater have higher injury risks than aj mccarron has.

Yes, anybody can get hurt on any play, that's also a medical fact.

The chance of sustaining an injury, especially concussions, is much higher when it's happened before 

38 minutes ago, VABills said:

Shocking?  Why?  He should never have been picked until round 3. That was a terrible draft pick and the pre-draft analysis was right on.  He was a one read QB and then run in college.  He just wasn't the gifted athlete like Vick, Taylor and other to be able to scramble at run at the pro level.  He therefore needed to become a pocket QB with a 10 cent brain.  Nice guy, terrible QB.  

I was just quoting from the article. And I 100% agree with you on Manuel. His teammates loved him. Great guy. Great arm. Career back up.