Former Bills OC has Final Exam grades for top 6 QBs

I found this series interesting as an experienced offensive coach (formerly of the Bills) gave a pretty detailed analysis/grade of the top quarterbacks in this year’s draft. Obviously, Darnold and Allen are his top quarterbacks but their reports have yet to be released. I copied in the 4 reports that have been released thus far. 

Here is the link to the series on NFL Draft Bible site:

http://nfldraftbible.com/qb-final-exam-with-steve-fairchild/

Here is the link to the Sam Darnold scouting report. 

http://nfldraftbible.com/sam-darnold-final-exam-with-steve-fairchild/ 

Here is the scouting report on Allen, Fairchild’s top qb.

http://nfldraftbible.com/josh-allen-final-exam-with-steve-fairchild/

Final rankings:

1) Allen - (122) A top pick in the draft

2) Darnold (121) A top 5 pick

3) Rosen (120.5) Early first round

4) Rudolph (119) First round 

5) Mayfield (117.5) 2nd round

6) Jackson (112.5) 2nd round

Edited by racketmaster
Added Allen report
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

That's a hell of alot of good information. I wonder where Darnold and Allen fall on this "scale".

I surely don't envy Beane and co. They have to pick one of these guys and hope/surmise he is the right one (or one of the right ones).

I like my position better. I get to take ownership and talk smack to opposing fans if he works out, but also get to slam Beane if they take the wrong one and he busts.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It actually makes me feel better. I've never been a particularly hard Darnold or Allen pusher, and if we simply can't budge, I am now more ok with Rudolph at 12.

I’m not sure if Fairchild has Darnold or Allen #1. Personally, I have Darnold my top qb and would not mind the Bills taking a run at him, even if it means giving up a significant amount of assets. At his age, Darnold could easily be a Bill for the next 15-16 years. That’s a long time to build around him. 

But if that can’t happen, I’m totally fine waiting on Rudolph and using the rest of our picks to fill in the many holes. I think Rudolph could be one of the top qbs from this class when it is all said and done. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It actually makes me feel better. I've never been a particularly hard Darnold or Allen pusher, and if we simply can't budge, I am now more ok with Rudolph at 12.

I have been paying attention to all the Rudolph hype lately, and I must adm8t to being sucked in. I was fully on board with taking him at 12 thinking we couod keep all of our picks...

Then I read the analysis from before prodays and the combine. Now I don't want him in the first at all. I am EXTREMELY leery of guys who get moved up the draft board significantly long after they play their last game. Tape should drive draft position, not hype from the talking heads.

Sure, he could end up being the best of the bunch, and I'm still "ok" with him later on, but I see warning flags based on his clausen-esque post combine rise.

I actually remember our resident Draft master and training camp watcher Astrobot had Ruldoph at 21 as one of his earlier picks.

Now, mind you, I still would prefer that we somehow get up into the top 5, but if we take him at 12 (or better, at 22) I am ok with that.

2 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I have been paying attention to all the Rudolph hype lately, and I must adm8t to being sucked in. I was fully on board with taking him at 12 thinking we couod keep all of our picks...

Then I read the analysis from before prodays and the combine. Now I don't want him in the first at all. I am EXTREMELY leery of guys who get moved up the draft board significantly long after they play their last game. Tape should drive draft position, not hype from the talking heads.

Sure, he could end up being the best of the bunch, and I'm still "ok" with him later on, but I see warning flags based on his clausen-esque post combine rise.

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

He seems to like Rudolph.

I loved Randolph last year but I guess the knock on him is he threw to wide open wrs and wasn’t great in tight window nfl throws.  He checks a lot of boxes though but he is clearly a fallback option if you don’t get a guy you really want.

This is a very good read and Fairchild seems  to be very diligent and detailed in his assessments.But it keeps the “what quarterback will the Bills draft” roller coaster going for me. Now I’m starting to like Rudolph again! Amazing!

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I loved Randolph last year but I guess the knock on him is he threw to wide open wrs and wasn’t great in tight window nfl throws.  He checks a lot of boxes though but he is clearly a fallback option if you don’t get a guy you really want.

Seems to be an awfully polarizing prospect.  The evaluations on him are all over the place, there are more than a few draft evaluators/analysts who believe he is a really good prospect and there are quite a few who think he's meh.  

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but based on his stats and from the limited amount that I've seen from him, I think he's a solid prospect and I wouldn't be mad if our plan A and B failed in getting one of the top tiered QB's and we selected him as a plan C with the 12 pick.

Yeah, Rudolph looks good in this analysis.

19 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

i think our only chance to move up is no.4. i think the chance of us getting locked out of the big 4 are probably 90%

we may be lucky to land him at 12 and it may be a blessing in disguise. given our oline situation, that gives us the chance to move 22 for another 2nd and 3rd.

27 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

That's a hell of alot of good information. I wonder where Darnold and Allen fall on this "scale".

I surely don't envy Beane and co. They have to pick one of these guys and hope/surmise he is the right one (or one of the right ones).

I like my position better. I get to take ownership and talk smack to opposing fans if he works out, but also get to slam Beane if they take the wrong one and he busts.

Regardless of the decision Beane makes in this draft and even if he stands pat and makes a selection of the best qb at 12, we will have more talent in the qb room than we've had in a long time. Plus the attitude that we need to get the qb situation right as soon as possible.

So you've got that going for you, and that's nice.

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

While there is a lot of information it is certainly a copyright violation to post here.

Sorry, was not sure how to get the info on the site. I know a lot of posters prefer to see the information pasted so they don’t have to follow links at work. But the articles are on NFL Draft Bible website. I edited to post to include the link (not sure if that makes any difference or not).  

18 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

When reading this, please take into account that Fairchild is a blithering idiot as an offensive mind. 

He is a former qb and specialized as a qb coach and offensive assistant both at the NFL and college level. Has had several stints as an NFL OC so I believe he has some credibility in this area. He certainly has a lot more experience and connections than myself. No one person’s evaluation is gospel as scouting is subjective. But I enjoyed the detailed break downs and having watched many games for each of the prospects I think the assessments are pretty fair. 

Edited by racketmaster

25 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Regardless of the decision Beane makes in this draft and even if he stands pat and makes a selection of the best qb at 12, we will have more talent in the qb room than we've had in a long time. Plus the attitude that we need to get the qb situation right as soon as possible.

So you've got that going for you, and that's nice.

I agree with this.

It is absolutely the right thing to do, it just must be awfully stressful when your job is on the line. He hits, and we could see McD and Beane be a fixture at OBD, but if not it will likely spell the end for him. High stakes.