Bandit's Updated Offseason Plan

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You make a good point. I would rather be aggressive and move up to get a preferred qb. However, as you stated we could stand pat and still come away with an excellent qb prospect and address other needs. My only non-compromising position is that we should come out of this draft with a high-end qb prospect. 

Although Mayfield is thought to be an early selection it wouldn't be surprising if he could still slide to us. Also, some evaluators have higher ratings on Jackson and Rudolph that go against the grain to what most of us think is the consensus rating. And very often your second or third option can still be a very viable option to take to move forward. There is currently plenty of speculation that the Bills will work out a deal with the Giants for the second pick. On the other hand it wouldn't be surprising if the Bills ended up working on a deal with team that is in front of us but less so making a deal less costly. 

Tell the truth. You are not a conservative; you are a rebel. :ph34r:

From what I heard there's already something in place to go to second

17 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

From what I heard there's already something in place to go to second

That's the prevailing rumor. The McBeane tandem seems to have a qb they are targeting. If they have a conviction on a player and go full throttle to get him then I'm supportive. If you know what you are doing the peddle to the metal is the way to go. If you don't know what you are doing the peddle to the metal is a style of driving that makes you more prone to crash. Cross your fingers. 

My guess is that it is either Darnold or Josh Allen. 

Edited by JohnC

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I keep the picks.

12 Lamar Jackson-qb

21* Vander Esch-mlb

53 Ragnow-c

56 Hercules Mata afa-dline

65 Dante Pettis-wr

96 Lauletta-qb

121 Jawan Wims-wr

*I would try and trade down from this spot and load up on 2-4 round picks-targeting Billy Price, Anthony Miller, Fred Warner, Christian Kirk, Nick Chubb, Penny, Dontae Jackson, DJ Moore, Will Hernandez, Isiah Wynn.....

See, and I'm fine with this. We tank with Lamar Jackson and we can go right back up with developed talent next year. I don't think we are close for next year. 

Well-thought out and informed post as usual, OP.

My only concern would be trading next year's first rounder. I feel that should be the only real untouchable piece on this team. I think the BIlls are going to suck quite badly next season. That that pick might be worth a bounty, assuming we end up with the QB of the future in a couple of weeks.

Edited by QB Bills

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Are you worried that this team has too many holes?  Are you afraid that in making an effort to grab their next franchise QB, the team will mortgage the future?  Is a step back in record inevitable in your mind?

Well, have no fear, the always opinionated (and often pugnacious--thanks @JohnCBandit has crafted an updated offseason plan that will quell your worries and have you thinking playoffs in 2018. What's it entail?  Well, read on...

in Free Agency

- Sign Brian Schwenke and Austin Howard to fill holes and create competition across the OL.  Both guys should come cheap and can play multiple positions (Schwenke at G/C, Howard at T/G)

- Sign Korey Toomer at LB

The above would create a worst-case scenario where your starting OL is comprised of Dawkins-Schwenke-Groy-Miller-Howard.  Maybe you see Bodine or Ducasse take one of the interior spots or Newhouse/McDermott/Mills take one of the tackle spots, but either way, you have depth and quality for what will be a paltry sum.

In a similar vain, Toomer's signing puts the team in a position to rotate a top-4 LB group of Toomer-Milano-LorAx-Humber.  It's certainly no worse than the 2017 group, and has the potential to be better.

And, for the record, the team currently has over $18M in cap space (before they handle Eric Wood's situation and recoup any space from Richie's retirement), so even if they require $8M to sign their draft picks, they should easily be able to accomplish the above signings.

In the draft

- Identify your QB and make your move: trade picks 12, 22, and whatever else it takes (up to and including 53, 65, and a 2019 1st or 2nd round pick) to move up and take Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield

- Use your day 2 picks to grab the best players available at any of CB, WR, and LB (I'm assuming the team will have only pick 56 and 96 remaining).  I would prioritize CB and WR here, as I'm prepared to rely on the depth of the off-ball LB and DT classes to fill spots on day 3

- Use your 4th and 5th round picks to grab the best LB and DT available.  You can choose from any of guys like Dorian O'Daniel, Jerome Baker, Josey Jewell, Oren Burks, Genard Avery, or Jermaine Carter  at LB (assuming guys like Darius Leonard, Fred Warner, U. Nwosu, and Malik Jefferson are gone) and from a host of potential DT fits like Nathan Shepard, BJ Hill, Justin Jones, PJ Hall, and Poona Ford.  These guys don't need to be starters; they need to be players that can give you 15-25 snaps per game when needed and play to your scheme.

- Trade your 6th round pick to LAC for Travis Benjamin.  He's got a $7M cap hit (of which Buffalo would have to take on $5.75M in 2018 and $5.25M in 2019)--no dead money hit for release in either season), and will be marooned in a timeshare with Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Tyrell Williams, and would also be behind Hunter Henry in competing for targets...no question that they'd welcome the ability to move him to a team that is desperate for downfield speed from a guy that's been productive in the past.

I believe that all of the above is both realistic and sensible for the team to accomplish in the next few weeks, and would definitely shore up the obvious weak points and put them in position to contend for another playoff berth.

Thoughts?

Love it.

Seems realistic.

Honestly, I have ZERO knowledge of any college players outside the prospects being talked about as 1st rounders, so I'm hoping Beane and McDermott do what they did last year and draft well in later rounds (Milano & Dawkins) while also sniffing around the league for scraps from other teams who might be diamonds in the rough (Deonte Thompson, Travaris Cadet, Marcus Murphy, etc.) and maybe some of our other young hopefuls come along this year and really surprise us (Zay Jones, Brandon Reilly, Rod Streater, Adolphus Washington, John Miller, Ryan Groy, etc.) and we become a perfect storm coming together for a 2018 Super Bowl run  :thumbsup:

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?  :flirt:

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

That's the prevailing rumor. The McBeane tandem seems to have a qb they are targeting. If they have a conviction on a player and go full throttle to get him then I'm supportive. If you know what you are doing the peddle to the metal is the way to go. If you don't know what you are doing the peddle to the metal is a style of driving that makes you more prone to crash. Cross your fingers. 

I actually like all the top four.  Darnold and Allen seem to me the riskiest of the four, but also may have the higher ceilings.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I actually like all the top four.  Darnold and Allen seem to me the riskiest of the four, but also may have the higher ceilings.

if the Bills come away with one of the top four you won't hear a complaint from me. I'll even stretch that line of reasoning further that if the Bills keep their picks and draft either Rudolph or Jackson I will be on okay with it. 

I don't see Darnold as being much of a risk as a prospect. In my view Allen is the bigger risk. That is not to say that I wouldn't be happy with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Well-thought out and informed post as usual, OP.

My only concern would be trading next year's first rounder. I feel that should be the only real untouchable piece on this team. I think the BIlls are going to suck quite badly next season. That that pick might be worth a bounty, assuming we end up with the QB of the future in a couple of weeks.

I agree about the 2019 1st.  The potential of the offense (3 QB's with a total of 6 starts) could leave that 1st round pick being a top 5.

I hope Beane does everything he can to keep it.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree about the 2019 1st.  The potential of the offense (3 QB's with a total of 6 starts) could leave that 1st round pick being a top 5.

I'd rather keep it if possible, but if my choice comes down to giving it up for the guy I want vs keeping it and taking my chances with my 2nd/3rd/4th/5th choice, then for me it's a no-brainer.

I'll throw stupid money at offensive weapons next offseason to compensate--remember that the 2014 1st round group is who's coming up for UFA status in March of 2019

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'd rather keep it if possible, but if my choice comes down to giving it up for the guy I want vs keeping it and taking my chances with my 2nd/3rd/4th/5th choice, then for me it's a no-brainer.

I'll throw stupid money at offensive weapons next offseason to compensate--remember that the 2014 1st round group is who's coming up for UFA status in March of 2019

I know what you're saying.  It's just my way of thinking.  IF on draft day the Giants are on the clock and the TRADE ticker comes up I am going

to hope it doesn't include next years 1st.

FOURTEEN DAYS TO GO.

9 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Are you worried that this team has too many holes?  Are you afraid that in making an effort to grab their next franchise QB, the team will mortgage the future?  Is a step back in record inevitable in your mind?

Well, have no fear, the always opinionated (and often pugnacious--thanks @JohnCBandit has crafted an updated offseason plan that will quell your worries and have you thinking playoffs in 2018. What's it entail?  Well, read on...

in Free Agency

- Sign Brian Schwenke and Austin Howard to fill holes and create competition across the OL.  Both guys should come cheap and can play multiple positions (Schwenke at G/C, Howard at T/G)

- Sign Korey Toomer at LB

The above would create a worst-case scenario where your starting OL is comprised of Dawkins-Schwenke-Groy-Miller-Howard.  Maybe you see Bodine or Ducasse take one of the interior spots or Newhouse/McDermott/Mills take one of the tackle spots, but either way, you have depth and quality for what will be a paltry sum.

In a similar vain, Toomer's signing puts the team in a position to rotate a top-4 LB group of Toomer-Milano-LorAx-Humber.  It's certainly no worse than the 2017 group, and has the potential to be better.

And, for the record, the team currently has over $18M in cap space (before they handle Eric Wood's situation and recoup any space from Richie's retirement), so even if they require $8M to sign their draft picks, they should easily be able to accomplish the above signings.

In the draft

- Identify your QB and make your move: trade picks 12, 22, and whatever else it takes (up to and including 53, 65, and a 2019 1st or 2nd round pick) to move up and take Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield

- Use your day 2 picks to grab the best players available at any of CB, WR, and LB (I'm assuming the team will have only pick 56 and 96 remaining).  I would prioritize CB and WR here, as I'm prepared to rely on the depth of the off-ball LB and DT classes to fill spots on day 3

- Use your 4th and 5th round picks to grab the best LB and DT available.  You can choose from any of guys like Dorian O'Daniel, Jerome Baker, Josey Jewell, Oren Burks, Genard Avery, or Jermaine Carter  at LB (assuming guys like Darius Leonard, Fred Warner, U. Nwosu, and Malik Jefferson are gone) and from a host of potential DT fits like Nathan Shepard, BJ Hill, Justin Jones, PJ Hall, and Poona Ford.  These guys don't need to be starters; they need to be players that can give you 15-25 snaps per game when needed and play to your scheme.

- Trade your 6th round pick to LAC for Travis Benjamin.  He's got a $7M cap hit (of which Buffalo would have to take on $5.75M in 2018 and $5.25M in 2019)--no dead money hit for release in either season), and will be marooned in a timeshare with Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Tyrell Williams, and would also be behind Hunter Henry in competing for targets...no question that they'd welcome the ability to move him to a team that is desperate for downfield speed from a guy that's been productive in the past.

I believe that all of the above is both realistic and sensible for the team to accomplish in the next few weeks, and would definitely shore up the obvious weak points and put them in position to contend for another playoff berth.

Thoughts?

......McBeane traded up to 12 for better layer positioning as well as a greater spread than between 21 & 22, leaving him 15 minutes on the clock to wheel 'n deal....he has his pecking order of QB's in mind depending on how 1-10 go......if his guy is there at 12, he'll take (??)......if not, he may go OL/DL/LB at 12 and watch 13-20 unfold.....if the top dawg QB's are gone, he may have someone in mind at 22 , or could go OL/DL/LB again and roll the dice into the 2nd round......don't see him going "all in" draft capital wise on ONE player........just a wild hunch, but I can see him striking a balance between prudently expending draft capital, value picks and intending to fill as many holes with quality as possible.....also believe he has the parameters of the 2019 window in front of him ala $85+ mil to spend, a layout of Bflo's possible draft slots, potential draft candidates as well as potential UFA's......somehow I see him better (COUGH) than our previous years' four headed GM monster ala Buddy, Brandon, Marv & Whaley.....a/k/a Moe, Larry, Curly & Shemp......

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Pedal to the metal. mash the tin.
In this case? Peddle to the Medal.  Go for the Gold !
I am fine with whatever they do at qb. as long as they feel confident they can make one work out for the Bills.

Bandit had me with the O lineman and lost me at LBs. Then he traded the farm.

Love him but not for Bills Gm. Lol

good dialogue : )

24 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

next years natural first will be in the 20s. don't fret.

I would rather keep 22 and a second round this year. Good players of need to be had.

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......McBeane traded up to 12 for better layer positioning as well as a greater spread than between 21 & 22, leaving him 15 minutes on the clock to wheel 'n deal....he has his pecking order of QB's in mind depending on how 1-10 go......if his guy is there at 12, he'll take (??)......if not, he may go OL/DL/LB at 12 and watch 13-20 unfold.....if the top dawg QB's are gone, he may have someone in mind at 22 , or could go OL/DL/LB again and roll the dice into the 2nd round......don't see him going "all in" draft capital wise on ONE player........just a wild hunch, but I can see him striking a balance between prudently expending draft capital, value picks and intending to fill as many holes with quality as possible.....also believe he has the parameters of the 2019 window in front of him ala $85+ mil to spend, a layout of Bflo's possible draft slots, potential draft candidates as well as potential UFA's......somehow I see him better (COUGH) than our previous years' four headed GM monster ala Buddy, Brandon, Marv & Whaley.....a/k/a Moe, Larry, Curly & Shemp......

This might be reasoning why Bills should spend the draft capital this year. Next year could favor free agency a bit more with that money.

All scenarios are fun to consider at this point : )

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I am fine with whatever they do at qb. as long as they feel confident they can make one work out for the Bills.

I would rather keep 22 and a second round this year. Good players of need to be had.

This might be reasoning why Bills should spend the draft capital this year. Next year could favor free agency a bit more with that money.

All scenarios are fun to consider at this point : )

...FUN?....seriously?.....already bald and have NO MORE HAIR to pull out between now and April 26......got ONE left on my arse and that baby stays....:thumbsup:..

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I'm working on the assumption the Giants want impact players this year.

So  22 is part of the trade along with a 2nd and TT's 3rd to start as a minimum.

If Dabol can get us into the playoffs with the O we probably field he will be my hero!

50 minutes ago, JohnC said:

if the Bills come away with one of the top four you won't hear a complaint from me. I'll even stretch that line of reasoning further that if the Bills keep their picks and draft either Rudolph or Jackson I will be okay with it. 

I don't see Darnold as being much of a risk as a prospect. In my view Allen is the bigger risk. That is not to say that I wouldn't be happy with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

...KUDOS to the OP for starting a thread with an in depth assessment from different perspectives...it has spawned some interesting FOOTBALL dialogue with differing opinions, all of which have been offered up and respected....EXACTLY how this place SHOULD work...thanks bud....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, JohnC said:

if the Bills come away with one of the top four you won't hear a complaint from me. I'll even stretch that line of reasoning further that if the Bills keep their picks and draft either Rudolph or Jackson I will be on okay with it. 

No doubt, Allen is the bigger risk.  I am not a fan of Rudolph, so I cannot be as tolerant of possibilities as you.  Bucky Brooks had us taking Rudolph at twelve last night in a mock draft; another fella from Fox Sports or some such had us moving up to 7 and taking Rosen.  I wanted to punch Brooks, even though he was wearing a nice pastel Mr. Rogers sweater.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

No doubt, Allen is the bigger risk.  I am not a fan of Rudolph, so I cannot be as tolerant of possibilities as you.  Bucky Brooks had us taking Rudolph at twelve last night in a mock draft; another fella from Fox Sports or some such had us moving up to 7 and taking Rosen.  I wanted to punch Brooks, even though he was wearing a nice pastel Mr. Rogers sweater.

I like Bucky. He has carved out a suitable niche with the draft. It has to be understood that the analysts who do the mock drafts make their picks to be more provocative than to be bland. It's part of the business to provoke responses. I'm sure that if he was working for a team he would be more sober with his thoughts. 

Just now, JohnC said:

I like Bucky. He has carved out a suitable niche with the draft. It has to be understood that the analysts who do the mock drafts make their picks to be more provocative than to be bland. It's part of the business to provoke responses. I'm sure that if he was working for a team he would be more sober with his thoughts. 

Oh, I understand, and I wouldn't actually punch the fella . . . maybe offer a strongly worded rebuttal:rolleyes:.  Both mocks were offered as a kind of dueling effort.  It was the contrast with Rosen at 7 that was particularly galling.