Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks Pre-Draft Conference Call

NFL Network analysts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks held a conference call today to preview the 2018 NFL Draft. Provided below is a transcript and audio file of today's call:

- Transcript: icpdf.pngDaniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks 2018 NFL Draft Conference Call_Transcript.pdf

- Audio: icgen.gifDaniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks 2018 NFL Draft Conference Call_Audio.mp3

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

The stuff about the quarterbacks is so hard to read. 

Aside from "upside" these guys struggle to come up with reasons why anyone should draft Josh Allen top 5. 

It's all about the tools with Allen because of the inconsistent mechanics and spotty production.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's all about the tools with Allen because of the inconsistent mechanics and spotty production.

I get that. 

What I don't get is how anyone could stake their job on a guy who only has tools and has shown little evidence that he knows how to use them. 

If the Bills trade the farm for Josh Allen, I really don't know how I'm going to handle it. I think he's a long shot at best to ever be a quality NFL QB and to trade our future for a guy like that would drive me off a cliff. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

I get that. 

What I don't get is how anyone could stake their job on a guy who only has tools and has shown little evidence that he knows how to use them. 

If the Bills trade the farm for Josh Allen, I really don't know how I'm going to handle it. I think he's a long shot at best to ever be a quality NFL QB and to trade our future for a guy like that would drive me off a cliff. 

It would be a huge gamble for Beane to make, but I'm hoping they instead wind up with Rosen or Darnold.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

I get that. 

I'm not going to go back around the Allen loop with you, but I have to ask: what exactly does 'trade our future' mean?  At worst, they'd trade multiple picks this year and maybe a 1st next year (when they're likely to have at least $70M in cap space).  That's nothing even close to trading the future.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm not going to go back around the Allen loop with you, but I have to ask: what exactly does 'trade our future' mean?  At worst, they'd trade multiple picks this year and maybe a 1st next year (when they're likely to have at least $70M in cap space).  That's nothing even close to trading the future.

To move into the top 2 will likely cost both firsts this year, our first next year and probably a second this year or next year. 

I'm not giving up that many picks for a guy like Allen who has so much work to do before he's ready to step on an NFL field. 

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

To move into the top 2 will likely cost both firsts this year, our first next year and probably a second this year or next year. 

I'm not giving up that many picks for a guy like Allen who has so much work to do before he's ready to step on an NFL field. 

That's fine if you think that the guy isn't worth the trade, but again I humbly request that you not exaggerate to make your point.

Trading 3 picks this year (when they have 6 picks in the top 100) and a pick next year is not 'trading the future' in any sense of the phrase.

Trading the future is what the Redskins did to get RG3; they left themselves out of the first round for 2 straight years.  Even if Buffalo gave up both 1sts, a 2nd, their highest 3rd, and next year's 1st, they'd still have a pick in rounds 1-6 this year and picks in rounds 2-7 next year (plus an extra 4 from KC and an extra 7 from Carolina) plus $70M in cap space to improve the roster.

There's no practical chance that they mortgage the future.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's fine if you think that the guy isn't worth the trade, but again I humbly request that you not exaggerate to make your point.

Trading 3 picks this year (when they have 6 picks in the top 100) and a pick next year is not 'trading the future' in any sense of the phrase.

Trading the future is what the Redskins did to get RG3; they left themselves out of the first round for 2 straight years.  Even if Buffalo gave up both 1sts, a 2nd, their highest 3rd, and next year's 1st, they'd still have a pick in rounds 1-6 this year and picks in rounds 2-7 next year (plus an extra 4 from KC and an extra 7 from Carolina) plus $70M in cap space to improve the roster.

There's no practical chance that they mortgage the future.

I completely disagree. 

3 first round picks and 1 second is the farm. That's the affordable core of your team 3-5 years from now. 

Edited by jrober38

How's that much different than what Washington did? The only difference would be that they didn't give an additional first in the year they drafted RG3. The picks the Bills accumulated came at a cost of talent, this team is deprived of blue chip players and investing that amount of draft capital into any one player is risky.

Goodluck building a team through FA, that money should be used to bolster a young core. If they whiff on this draft that money won't save them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I completely disagree. 

3 first round picks and 1 second is the farm. That's the affordable core of your team 3-5 years from now. 

A franchise qb is a 15-year investment. Good teams also know how to use free agency now too - guys who have actually proven that they can play in the NFL rather than college prospects. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

A franchise qb is a 15-year investment. Good teams also know how to use free agency now too - guys who have actually proven that they can play in the NFL rather than college prospects. 

Sure.  And more than 50% of all 1st round QBs bust. 

I'm not trading 3 first round picks plus additional picks for a guy who was just a mediocre college QB with a sub 57% career completion percentage. 

12 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I completely disagree. 

So the team will not have ample opportunity to improve next offseason if they make this trade?  Well, suffice to say that I thoroughly disagree, and I don't see how trading assets when you have assets to trade qualifies as giving up the future.

7 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

How's that much different than what Washington did? The only difference would be that they didn't give an additional first in the year they drafted RG3. The picks the Bills accumulated came at a cost of talent, this team is deprived of blue chip players and investing that amount of draft capital into any one player is risky.

Goodluck building a team through FA, that money should be used to bolster a young core. If they whiff on this draft that money won't save them.

It's much different because you aren't leaving the first round for the following 2 years and leaving yourself with a single pick in the top 70 in the current draft.  Washington left itself in a position where they had severely limited ability to improve their roster via draft and via FA for 2 consecutive offseasons.  Buffalo won't be limited in this draft year at all, and will offset missing a 1st rounder next year by having 2 additional picks in rounds 2-7 and a ton of cap space.

As for good luck building through FA, Cleveland has been an utter disaster, and they've had zero difficulty signing FAs  

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm not trading 3 first round picks plus additional picks for a guy who was just a mediocre college QB with a sub 57% career completion percentage. 

And as I said before, my issue isn't that you don't want to move up for Allen.  The issue is that you are categorizing it as mortgaging the future when it's nothing of the sort.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, thebandit27 said:

So the team will not have ample opportunity to improve next offseason if they make this trade?  Well, suffice to say that I thoroughly disagree, and I don't see how trading assets when you have assets to trade qualifies as giving up the future.

For Buffalo to attract talent in FA they need to overspend. 

Rookie contracts offer an extremely affordable way to acquire good talent on small contracts for 4-5 years. If you give up a bunch of picks, including multiple first rounds, and whiff on that player, we're looking for a new GM and HC in 2-3 years because the team will be devoid of talent. 

We're already lacking elite talent. Shady is old, we have nothing at WR, our top two linemen just retired, nothing at TE behind an aging Clay, no pass rush, and nothing at linebacker. 

We can improve with out first and second round picks, but it's unlikely. 

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I completely disagree. 

yeah that is a little to much as next year is gonna be a top ten pick  shoot for 6 or seven and its just two ones this year  or stay at twelve and take jackson then load the team up          the team is depleted   QB LB OL WR                            GO BILLS  

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

50% is far greater than 0%. That is the Bills' batting average with franchise qbs over the past 22 years, and they have never drafted a qb in the top 5. No guts, no glory -- and never very much winning. 

Edited by dave mcbride

I'm actually not opposed to the Bills moving up for a QB, even as high as #2 and sacrificing both of our 1st's this year as well as next year's 1st, in addition to a 2nd (likely this year), as long as it's for the right QB.  Ideally, IMO, that isn't Allen because he represents a dicier proposition at a position that already doesn't yield a success rate tantamount to any sort of guarantee.

Even more ideally, the Bills can move up #4-6 for Rosen/Mayfield and sacrifice considerably less assets, perhaps as "few" as 12 & 22.

Still, whoever the QB is IF we trade up for one, the idea that Buffalo can just spend its way out of its talent deficit and pervasive roster holes next spring ignores many facts, including that MANY teams will be equipped with considerable cap space (a result of the cap rising $10 million each of the last 5 years with no end in sight, plus the ability to carry over cap from year to year).  AND in the NFL it's rare to spend your way into contention.  It can be done; the Jaguars have demonstrated that.  But with the existence and prevalence of the franchise tag it's generally rare that truly high-quality "unblemished" FA's, guys with no question marks or concerns like age, injury, or character issues, hit the market.  As I heard someone describe NFL free agency this offseason:  "You have to not only buy into the player; you also have to buy into the reason they're a free agent."

Eschewing cheap labor in draft picks and trusting the Bills to spend their way to an offense- to a total TEAM- in FA (where players are almost invariably overpaid) seems like an unlikely hope.

Edited by Midwest1981