The Question is nit IF but WHEN

KingRex

Yes, the Bills need a Franchise QB to win the SB.  Everyone agrees with that.

The question is when do you acquire that F-QB?

I think that the football intelligent option is to take one of three options next year. In general I think of this as the Steelers model where they first focused on building a TEAM and then acquired Big Ben as their F-QB to win an SB and make them a contender for years.

Option 1.  Use the huge draft Beane accumulated to rebuild our playoff qualifying team.  If anything given the injury holes created at C and G, the Bills best bet is actually to trade down and try to add a couple of 2nds.  We make an unlikely attempt to find our F-QB from a 3 way competition between Peterman, McCarron and a draft pick (Rudolph dropping to the 2nd round is my hope)  Even w/o the F-QB the reinforced D keeps us in games

Option 2-  We get out of cap hell and next year our reinforced team bids for next year;s version of Cousins this year or Peyton Manning a few tears ago.

Option 3- Target a rookie like a Big Ben and trade up to get him.

These are far better options than trading away our drfat resources to move up to get Darnold or one of the Josh's and see him get hurt behind our swiss cheese OL and through to our weak at best WRs.

In re option 2 - the idea that there will be a “next year’s” version of a Cousins or Manning FA acquisition is mighty wishful thinking. Top echelon QBs do not come available every year via free agency. It’s much rarer than that. 

Trust the process.   if mcbeanes do not sacrifice this years and next years draft to get one of the supposed top guys, it will be for a good reason.  they're not watching NFL Network, they are doing real research on these guys.  We're just watching TV hype.  

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

3 hours ago, KingRex said:

Yes, the Bills need a Franchise QB to win the SB.  Everyone agrees with that.

The question is when do you acquire that F-QB?

I think that the football intelligent option is to take one of three options next year. In general I think of this as the Steelers model where they first focused on building a TEAM and then acquired Big Ben as their F-QB to win an SB and make them a contender for years.

Option 1.  Use the huge draft Beane accumulated to rebuild our playoff qualifying team.  If anything given the injury holes created at C and G, the Bills best bet is actually to trade down and try to add a couple of 2nds.  We make an unlikely attempt to find our F-QB from a 3 way competition between Peterman, McCarron and a draft pick (Rudolph dropping to the 2nd round is my hope)  Even w/o the F-QB the reinforced D keeps us in games

Option 2-  We get out of cap hell and next year our reinforced team bids for next year;s version of Cousins this year or Peyton Manning a few tears ago.

Option 3- Target a rookie like a Big Ben and trade up to get him.

These are far better options than trading away our drfat resources to move up to get Darnold or one of the Josh's and see him get hurt behind our swiss cheese OL and through to our weak at best WRs.

Isn't the same wrongness you've spewed again and again but in different words? It doesn't need a new thread. 

Next year's draft looks to be a bad one for QBs. So, no for option 3. 

Your option 1 is reasonable if and only if they can't trade up for some reason. But keeping in games next year is - yet again - not the point. Beane and McDermott have made plain their goal, a team that in the long-term competes consistently for titles. That's what they're working towards, which is why you're veering so far off the point.

Option 2 is nonsense. Those guys are wildly rare, which is why you have to go back five years for the last good QB available in FA to Manning and five more beyond that to the severely injured Drew Brees and before that ... I don't know if there ever was another one. There might be guys like McCarron and maybe Foles and Bridgewater, though even those guys are not generally nearly as common as they were this year. The Cousinses, Mannings and Breeses are ... well there are basically three of them and that's it.