Sal C: "Despite Roster Holes, Bills still need to be aggressive for QB"

Logic

I read (and agree with) this article, and thought I'd share.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/opinion/capaccio-despite-roster-holes-bills-still-need-be-aggressive-qb

CAPACCIO: Despite roster holes, Bills still need to be aggressive for QB

The team won't be in this position again with draft capital

WGR_TalentImage_SalCapaccio_775x425.png?
SAL CAPACCIO
APRIL 10, 2018 - 10:58 PM

First, it was Eric Wood retiring. Now Richie Incognito.  Seven free agents have left for other teams, including starting middle linebacker Preston Brown, with no apparent successor in his place yet on the roster.  There are certainly question marks hanging over Zay Jones’ head after his bizarre incident in Los Angeles.

The Bills came into this off-season with several holes to fill.  They still have plenty of them, both short-term and long-term.

Yet no matter who’s retired or left, nor how many positions seem to have a need either at the starting spot or depth behind him; no matter the age or contractual situation of anyone, if their plan was to draft their franchise quarterback of the future later this month - and I believe it has been since last year’s draft - general manager Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott shouldn’t waiver for one second and should stick with that plan....

-- click the link for more -- 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I agree. Once we get a franchise QB every draft will get easier. When you don't have a QB then you always have to consider taking a QB rather than taking BPA. And a franchise QB will stablize the coaching staff and front office giving them more time to build their team. Once you have a QB you can just take BPA each year in the draft.

If we didn't need a QB we would be getting some serious talent with all the picks we have. but because we really need one, we might be giving up a lot to get one. sooner the better though

• Like (+1) 2

"........First, it was Eric Wood retiring. Now Richie Incognito.  Seven free agents have left for other teams, including starting middle linebacker Preston Brown, with no apparent successor in his place yet on the roster.  There are certainly question marks hanging over Zay Jones’ head after his bizarre incident in Los Angeles. ......."     So run in the other direction???   How about a plan where we build a team and then bring in a good QB?  Why not trade a high 2nd from this year for a 1st for next year and trade a low 1st from this year for a high first for next year.    Invest the results from those into the next years draft (supposed to have some really good QB's) and get the guy then.  In the meantime put draft capital into long-lived meat-and-potatoe linemen and linebackers and improve the quality of tools

9 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Get your quarterback

Protect your quarterback

Get to the quarterback

Does one of the three give you success?   What if you do the first but can't do anything (5% success) on the other two?  What does that give you.  I like rainbows and pixey dust too, but you can't do all three at the same time starting where we are at.

• Like (+1) 1

If we can only pick 2 out of the 3. Get our quarterback and protect our quarterback. If this is the year of the quarterback, we need to do everything possible to help him succeed. Fixing defensive holes are secondary. 

13 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

"........First, it was Eric Wood retiring. Now Richie Incognito.  Seven free agents have left for other teams, including starting middle linebacker Preston Brown, with no apparent successor in his place yet on the roster.  There are certainly question marks hanging over Zay Jones’ head after his bizarre incident in Los Angeles. ......."     So run in the other direction???   How about a plan where we build a team and then bring in a good QB?  Why not trade a high 2nd from this year for a 1st for next year and trade a low 1st from this year for a high first for next year.    Invest the results from those into the next years draft (supposed to have some really good QB's) and get the guy then.  In the meantime put draft capital into long-lived meat-and-potatoe linemen and linebackers and improve the quality of tools

Does one of the three give you success?   What if you do the first but can't do anything (5% success) on the other two?  What does that give you.  I like rainbows and pixey dust too, but you can't do all three at the same time starting where we are at.

The Bills will likely never have so much draft capital again. If they don't use it this year (which certainly seems to have been the plan all along), when will they get a QB (next year is supposed to be a bad year for QB's)? While waiting on a QB, your draft pieces (the decent ones) will hit free agency and need to be replaced again. QB stands above all as the most important piece on a FB team, and the Bills have waited since Kelly for a franchise guy.

Also, you can pick up decent Lineman and Linebackers in the mid-rounds of the draft, so you can still address needs (there are also some free agents still out there-- they already signed Wood's replacement).

Edited by par73

I think the bills and everyone that knows about the NFL know the bills need a QB, and by their actions have been aggressive obtaining capital for such a move. But, I don’t see any of the teams in 1,2,4, or 5 trading back. They’re to scared to fall out of the top 10, !@#$. 

Edited by Captain Murica

It’s now a matter of - Will there be a team in the top 5 who’s willing to trade?

If Allen goes first, when else will the Giants be able to get a Darnold without selling the farm. We already know Jets are going QB at 3. 

Are we giving up all our picks for our 4th choice? Would Cleveland or Denver even be willing to trade?

Definitely stick to the plan and move up for a QB, absolutely no doubt about that.

That being said, especially now that Ritchie’s gone, I would look hard at dumping Castillo and throwing big $ at an OL coach who can make the most out of scrubs.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

How do you trade a low 1st from this year for a high 1st next year?

You'd have to target a team that you are sure will be picking high next year, and then get them to somehow decide to part with a pick they know has a good chance at being high for a late 1st this year. I don't see that happening. Why would a bad/rebuilding team do that? 

I dont know that you will get any team to give you a 1st next year for one of our mid round 2nd's this year either. How often does that actually happen?

But if someone did offer us a 1st next year for one of our mid 2nds this year (we pick 53 & 56) id definitely do it. 

Also, Next year's draft looks pretty weak at QB (you are the 1st I've heard call it strong). 

The top QB prospect next year (as of now) is Drew Lock. He considered entering the draft this year but the NFL draft counsel did not give him a 1st or 2nd round grade and recommended he go back to school. 

This year looks like the strongest QB draft class in many years. It has 4 of the top 6 highest graded QBs in the last 3 years, and the highest graded QB prospect since Andrew Luck. They are predicting as many as 6 first round QBs, which would tie the historic 1983 draft class (where we got Jim Kelly). This is the year to take a shot on a top QB IMO. 

Frist Round BUST QBs in the top 15 picks since 2000:

2002:  drafted 1. David Carr, Fresno State, Texans drafted 3. Joey Harrington, Oregon, Lions

2003: drafted 7. Byron Leftwich, Marshall, Jaguars

2006: drafted 3. Vince Young, Texas, Titans drafted 10. Matt Leinart, USC, Cardinals drafted11. Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt, Broncos(had a few good years) 

2007: drafted 1. JaMarcus Russell, LSU, Raiders

2009: drafted 5. Mark Sanchez, USC, Jets

2011: drafted 8. Jake Locker, Washington, Titans drafted 10. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, Jaguars drafted 12. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Vikings

2012: drafted 2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor, Redskins drafted 8. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, Dolphins (couple decent years)

2014: drafted 3. Blake Bortles, Central Florida, Jaguars  (not that good)

Just because you pick a QB at #1 overall does not mean your getting an amazing QB.  Best QB's of all time in my opinion Brady & Montana and they were not first round draft picks. Favre was not a first round pick. Rodgers & Brees were mid to late first rounders.  Why toss all your picks at 1 player who could be a bust!  The best QB could be Falk or Mason who knows.  But saying we got a franchise guy because we picked a QB at number 1 or 2 overall, come on!!  How did JaMarcus Russel, Robert Griffen, & David Carr turn out?  Do you feel any of these guys are the next Peyton Manning?  If so, tell me why.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, JOSH HUFF said:

2002:  drafted 1. David Carr, Fresno State, Texans drafted 3. Joey Harrington, Oregon, Lions

2006: drafted 3. Vince Young, Texas, Titans drafted 10. Matt Leinart, USC, Cardinals drafted11. Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt, Broncos(had a few good years) 

2011: drafted 8. Jake Locker, Washington, Titans drafted 10. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, Jaguars drafted 12. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Vikings

2012: drafted 2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor, Redskins drafted 8. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, Dolphins (couple decent years)

Just because you pick a QB at #1 overall does not mean your getting an amazing QB.  Best QB's of all time in my opinion Brady & Montana and they were not first round draft picks. Favre was not a first round pick. Rodgers & Brees were mid to late first rounders.  Why toss all your picks at 1 player who could be a bust!  The best QB could be Falk or Mason who knows.  But saying we got a franchise guy because we picked a QB at number 1 or 2 overall, come on!!  How did JaMarcus Russel, Robert Griffen, & David Carr turn out?  Do you feel any of these guys are the next Peyton Manning?  If so, tell me why.  

this is very compelling, you make your point well here, but there seems to be a significantly greater chance in this draft of having 2 or more very good qb's, unlike the last draft we picked a qb first round, when there were zero good ones (due respect to geno and ej's mothers) 

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Nobody knows what you’re saying here.

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I'm with Jay, this is really unclear.

But all the people saying you can't do many things, you can't build a whole team ... that is utter nonsense. Of course you can. But it takes time, probably three or four years. So you adjust your expectations and you make your first priority the one thing that is both absolutely crucial to team success and only available occasionally and somewhat unpredictably. Which of course is getting a franchise QB. Anytime you have a chance you do it. Even if you have to sacrifice other things. 

Then after you have your guy, you develop him, maybe from the bench. And you build your team, making protecting him an early  priority. And before you know it,  2- 4 years down the road, you've got the best chance possible of having a team that will compete for the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

How do you trade a low 1st from this year for a high 1st next year?

You'd have to target a team that you are sure will be picking high next year, and then get them to somehow decide to part with a pick they know has a good chance at being high for a late 1st this year. I don't see that happening. Why would a bad/rebuilding team do that? 

I dont know that you will get any team to give you a 1st next year for one of our mid round 2nd's this year either. How often does that actually happen?

But if someone did offer us a 1st next year for one of our mid 2nds this year (we pick 53 & 56) id definitely do it. 

Also, Next year's draft looks pretty weak at QB (you are the 1st I've heard call it strong). 

The top QB prospect next year (as of now) is Drew Lock. He considered entering the draft this year but the NFL draft counsel did not give him a 1st or 2nd round grade and recommended he go back to school. 

This year looks like the strongest QB draft class in many years. It has 4 of the top 6 highest graded QBs in the last 3 years, and the highest graded QB prospect since Andrew Luck. They are predicting as many as 6 first round QBs, which would tie the historic 1983 draft class (where we got Jim Kelly). This is the year to take a shot on a top QB IMO. 

Yeah, it's usually the other way around.  A team will give up a first for the following year with position unknown for the opportunity to get a low 1st or even high 2nd to get a player they want in the current draft.  Perhaps Maryland-bills-fan has a different interpretation of high and low picks?

11 hours ago, JOSH HUFF said:

If anyone had actually said that because we picked a QB at #1 or #2 it guaranteed success, you'd really have a point. 

But what people say - absolutely correctly - is that picking a QB at #1 or #2 is the best place to get a franchise QB. Not the perfect place. Just the best place. That that's the way to maximize your chances. 

Sure, there are other ways to get a QB. None of those other ways have percentages of success anywhere near picking an early guy.

And by the way, it's easy to make things look terrible if you only look at the bad QBs. If you'd also included the Andrew Lucks, the Carson Wentzes, the Philip Riverses, the Eli Mannings, the Matt Ryans, the Marcus Mariotas, the Carson Palmers, the Goffs and Jameises and Newtons, then all of a sudden it doesn't look anywhere near as bad.

Edited by Thurman#1

Set the target and go get the fans of Buffalo a real franchise worthy QB one they have not had since Jim Kelly. Fans have waited long enough, go get us Darnold,Rosen or Mayfield and worry about everything else later. Do this and this staff will be loved like no other staff since Marv and Bill gave us the glory years.

Build around a really talented QB first. Even if he sits year one it will have the fans very excited for 2019 the year Buffalo gets back in the SB playoff race talk. Time to start a new glory years era let's go Buffalo. Get er done, start the real rebuild with a QB worthy of that SB run in a few years in this QB driven league.

Edited by xRUSHx