Will the 2018 Bills be better then the 2017 Bills???

Scorp83

I feel like the absolute ceiling next season is 9 wins and a very outside shot at the playoffs with the floor being 5 wins. If I'm making my prediction, we are a 6 to 7 win team. I'm ok with this...so long as we draft the franchise guy. Its going to take a little bit to get this ship right after Whaley, but it can and will be done this time. 

I trust the process. 

44 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

The AFC is up for grabs including the AFC east. We have a second year HC that just took this team to the playoffs. There is a real chance that AJ is an upgrade of TT and we are absolutely loaded with draft picks. This team will be better.

i agree. i don't get the gloom and doom.

1st i think the schedule will be easier.

2nd i think a.j. is a huge upgrade for the passing attack.

sure we lost p.brown, mattews, thompson, gaines and 2 olineman.

however, we upgrade our dline, p. gaines could blossom in the slot. we signed 2 guys for the oline already...and we have the draft to go. i'm expecting a very competitive team this year.

Offensively? Most likely not. 

Unless a QB plays at a high level.

Cant really see that happening with how poor the line is. 

Defensively? I think they will play better, but they might struggle if the offense cant move the ball and give them time off. 

So I think we are going to have a worse year. 

As of right now, and even assuming the draft goes well, I see them being younger next season but not winning as many games. Too much talent was cut or given away or otherwise lost. This is not a talented roster. It's too early to make predictions, but I'm not expecting more than 5 or 6 wins next season. 

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

drop off from what/where? 31st in passing?

Drop off from having a QB with an overall QBR rating at 18. Expect Mccarron to be in the bottom quarter of the league. If your looking at total passing, those stats get padded by garbage time numbers, when teams are down big, and forced to throw into prevent defenses.

Edited by MURPHD6

11 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I expect a drop off in the offense's ability to move the ball and sustain drives. And that has as much to do with the supporting cast as the QB.

AJ is going to face alot of pressure, and Tyrod arguably made the Oline look a lot better than it was. He's not in a good position at all. I would not be surprised if we started 3 qbs next year. And the D will be too good for garbage time stat padding. They are going to run, alot. They have to.

Edited by MURPHD6

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I expect a drop off in the offense's ability to move the ball and sustain drives. And that has as much to do with the supporting cast as the QB.

Absolutely, people can B word about Tyrod leaving passes on the field, and those complaints aren't innacurate. But without his running ability the Bills are going to be way easier to defend against, especially if their north of 30 starting RB goes down. Coordinators can double team Benjamin on passing downs or blitz against a weak line, while stacking 8 in the box against Shady on running downs. The Offense isn't going to match up well against average defenses, unless they hit it big on immediate help in the draft. Zay hasn't shown a consistent ability to move the chains, and who knows who will be throwing to him by the end of the year. And if the OLine is significantly weakened things could get ugly real quick, especially if they run into injuries. We have no depth, outside of the secondary. This is the reality.

Edited by MURPHD6

2 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

Absolutely, people can B word about Tyrod leaving passes on the field, and those complaints aren't innacurate. But without his running ability the Bills are going to be way easier to defend against, especially if their north of 30 starting RB goes down. Coordinators can double team Benjamin on passing downs or blitz against a weak line, while stacking 8 in the box against Shady on running downs. The Offense isn't going to match up well against average defenses, unless they hit it big on immediate help in the draft. Zay hasn't shown a consistent ability to move the chains, and who knows who will be throwing to him by the end of the year. And if the OLine is significantly weakened things could get ugly real quick, especially if they run into injuries. We have no depth, outside of the secondary. This is the reality.

To double down on this the fact is even if we are running the ball at all and McCoy is healthy they only really have to cover KB because there is no one else except for the handful of games that our TE's show up.  If we don't get a lead we are not going to throw for wins.  Even if we somehow pull off moving up and getting a "franchise" QB, and god forbid we miss on that pick, the line is desimated and our OC has done nothing in the NFL to show he's capable other than be really really like-able for what that's worth.  That's just the offense.  On defense we lost the guy who while not spectacular was the QB of the front 7 and Preston Brown can be replaced but as of now hasn't been.  Again it's much like the Talyor situation.  Could we arguably do better? Sure.  Will we?  There's a good chance we don't.  No telling if Star is any better than Dareous and if the D is any better.  Sure the secondary should be alright.  They were all right last year but that doesn't mean much when teams are running for 200 yards and mulitiple TD's on you every week.  The whole "plan/process" seemed legit until the Jets beat us to the punch trading up into the top 5.  Now without trading the farm we are not in the hunt for one of the top 4 QB's of which I only like about 2.  I believe in two things.  Talent and coaching.  If you have those two things the law of averages will usually work itself in your favor.  We have coaching on the defense but we currently lost a considerable amount of talent and it's arguable that Dareous was one move too many last year.  On offense we've been on an absolute skid for 3 straight seasons.  They have been hemorrhaging talent on offense.  Double that with the losses of Roman and Lynn, say what you want they could do better than Dennison and most likely will leave Badoll in the dust also.  So this is really only my first or second post in months.  I don't want to B word.  So I'll lurk and wait and hope that they pull out some magic and make everything roses but for now in my mind a couple offseasons ago we were a decent DC away from being a good team and now we are doing the same old switch a roo that we do every 4 to 5 years.

Edited by Maine-iac

29 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

To double down on this the fact is even if we are running the ball at all and McCoy is healthy they only really have to cover KB because there is no one else except for the handful of games that our TE's show up.  If we don't get a lead we are not going to throw for wins.  Even if we somehow pull off moving up and getting a "franchise" QB, and god forbid we miss on that pick, the line is desimated and our OC has done nothing in the NFL to show he's capable other than be really really like-able for what that's worth.  That's just the offense.  On defense we lost the guy who while not spectacular was the QB of the front 7 and Preston Brown can be replaced but as of now hasn't been.  Again it's much like the Talyor situation.  Could we arguably do better? Sure.  Will we?  There's a good chance we don't.  No telling if Star is any better than Dareous and if the D is any better.  Sure the secondary should be alright.  They were all right last year but that doesn't mean much when teams are running for 200 yards and mulitiple TD's on you every week.  The whole "plan/process" seemed legit until the Jets beat us to the punch trading up into the top 5.  Now without trading the farm we are not in the hunt for one of the top 4 QB's of which I only like about 2.  I believe in two things.  Talent and coaching.  If you have those two things the law of averages will usually work itself in your favor.  We have coaching on the defense but we currently lost a considerable amount of talent and it's arguable that Dareous was one move too many last year.  On offense we've been on an absolute skid for 3 straight seasons.  They have been hemorrhaging talent on offense.  Double that with the losses of Roman and Lynn, say what you want they could do better than Dennison and most likely will leave Badoll in the dust also.  So this is really only my first or second post in months.  I don't want to B word.  So I'll lurk and wait and hope that they pull out some magic and make everything roses but for now in my mind a couple offseasons ago we were a decent DC away from being a good team and now we are doing the same old switch a roo that we do every 4 to 5 years.

Yup. I'm worried that McBean is way to cocky with regards to his ability to find talent in the draft. They had success last year, but alot of scouts only have 15-18 players graded as first round talents this year. Why couldn't we trade up with the colts? The talent available at 22 is not that different than talent that will be available in the 40's or 50s. This draft isn't deep, to make matters worse.

2 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Yup. I'm worried that McBean is way to cocky with regards to his ability to find talent in the draft. They had success last year, but alot of scouts only have 15-18 players graded as first round talents this year. Why couldn't we trade up with the colts? The talent available at 22 is not that different than talent that will be available in the 40's or 50s. This draft isn't deep, to make matters worse.

Based on what.....don't all GMs have confidence in their ability to draft?

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, nucci said:

Based on what.....don't all GMs have confidence in their ability to draft?

Based on the fact that not all drafts are equal. And sometimes GMs just get lucky with regard to need and talent available. Chip Kelly and Josh McDaniels (Tebow in the 1st) are both recent  cases of cockiness gone wrong. And Ryan Grigson. (Trent Richardson for a 1st round pick) was a fool who was fortunate enough to  have Luck sitting at 1, before he ruined the entire roster. Even the pats have missed alot lately, and Bill is seen as one of the best talent evaluators in the league.

Edited by MURPHD6

8 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i'm more confident this year.  a.j. upgrades the qb spot.  as far as p. brown, he was a fa and wanted to play for his hometown team.

this year we will get more pressure and sacks up front and as i posted in another thread...we were facing a retool of the oline, so i think we are better off facing it this year rather than next.

i'm confident they will draft well and take care of the lbs and add some speed to the wr corp. i predict we will at least command a wc and i think we finally have a qb that can go toe to toe with ne and maybe get us a w against them.

???  We'll see pal... I'll definitely will give you your respect if this is true