Are We Losing The Off-Season?

There is a plan here, and I'm willing to see it through before passing judgement.  We got to 9-7 and ended the drought last year, a season many people even analysts said was utterly doomed after our last offseason.  Remember all the talk of tanking?  How the week one matchup with the Jets was a preview of the battle for the top pick this upcoming draft?  Bottom line, we're only at halftime for this offseason.  At least wait until after the draft is over before dooming the Bills this season.

223670-150911641893523.png

I just don't know any more, Meanie.

The year we "won the offseason" with Rex, we were terrible.

Then last year, I (a relentlessly, masochistically optimistic Bills fan) told my wife "I think the Bills will be really bad this year. Maybe 4-12 bad". (She didn't care and couldn't even pretend that she did, but that's a story for another day). Lo and behold, the Bills broke the drought.

The only thing I know any more is that I don't know. Get me a QB, a good head coach, and a defense, and let's see what happens. I believe we have one of the three, and luckily, he is largely the architect of one of the other of those three. Now we just need the third part. Regardless of the degree to which we may have "lost the offseason", if we get that third part, we're in business. Or not. I don't know.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I just don't know any more, Meanie.

The year we "won the offseason" with Rex, we were terrible.

Then last year, I (a relentlessly, masochistically optimistic Bills fan) told my wife "I think the Bills will be really bad this year. Maybe 4-12 bad". (She didn't care and couldn't even pretend that she did, but that's a story for another day). Lo and behold, the Bills broke the drought.

The only thing I know any more is that I don't know. Get me a QB, a good head coach, and a defense, and let's see what happens. I believe we have one of the three, and luckily, he is largely the architect of one of the other of those three. Now we just need the third part. Regardless of the degree to which we may have "lost the offseason", if we get that third part, we're in business. Or not. I don't know.

The part I am worried about is it certainly seem like we don't have a good o-line.

So if we a get QB, he will sustain injuries behind a bad line that will stay with him for his career. Also, he may be unable to develop the confidence he needs early on, which will ruin his career. See David Carr for one example. Luck may be another. 

Or, look at the horrible, horrible, bad mistake McDermott made with Peterman. That was BAD. I know everybody blames Peterman, and McD is teflon. But that was a VERY BAD mistake by McDermott. Peterman has a monkey on his back now. And sure everybody will say who cares? Hes a 5th round pick who sucks. Fine. Why take him at all then if you are just going to ruin him?

So, a seemingly bad line, possible HUGE investment in a rookie QB, and a coach who did a VERY bad job bringing on a rookie QB just last season. Its a bad setup and it has me worried.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1

After a very nice start - getting up to #12 in the draft, the Jest kicked us in the teeth. Much like getting into the playoffs, we will be dependant on what others do, to snag the QB we want. That, to me, is losing the off season, irrespective of anything else, but I will give them credit for trying.

Lots of holes that do need filling, especially with Incognito now retiring, and while the picks we have should go a long way to filling those holes, chances are we will be using them up to go get a QB.

While you would think that 'plan A' was always to go get a QB, situations change, and we aren't best placed to do that now. 'Plan B', might have to come into effect, or existence. Which would involve using the picks to build the roster, and only getting a QB, if one we like falls to us.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Well maybe Wood was over rated. But I am not going by reputation. I watched I think it was 4 games on all 22. Over and over spending at least 3 hours per game.

Granted it was only 4 games but in those 4 he and Incognito were hands down better than the other 3 starters. I don't think Groy played much so I can't say how he would compare.

From what I watched though, "over rated" applies to Dawkins. He was adequate and not awful. But not the smashing success and upcoming star I read about. At least not yet and at least not to my eyes which are not expert. Dawkins is tough though that Bosa guy on the chargers poked Dawkins in the eye really bad (wasn't noticed by refs) (or reported in the news) and yet Dawkins didn't even miss one play to recover from it.

Dawkins held his own last year pretty well but...............he had Ritchie next to him.

Lot's of people already "penciling in" Groy to start at LG.  I have some doubts about that.

Groy has only started 4 games in 4 years at LG and you are going to have next to Dawkins who has started 11 games?

Compare that to Ritchie who had 150 starts.

Opposing D's could have a field day with that.

Daboll could pull a rabbit out of his hat with this years offense but I see them taking a turn for the worse.

18.9 points per game in 2017.  I think that goes down not up.

Still got to get the QB if it's possible but I hope they don't use next years 1st.  It could be worth a lot if we pick at 4 or 5.

• Like (+1) 1

I just can't seem to bring myself to panic until at least June. Then, if things still don't look good, I'll start to panic.

There are just too many currently unknowable variables to be filled in between now and then for me to spend much mental energy on it.