Are We Losing The Off-Season?

Maybe it is nobody's fault, but I'm getting uneasy about this off-season so far.

Eric Wood suddenly retired, then Zay Jones had a breakdown on film, now Incognito retired.

So  2 of 11 starters on offense are gone and 1 is questionable. This is really bad luck.

Next here are Sal C's main free agent needs prior to free agency starting:

(http://www.wgr550.com/articles/opinion/capaccio-ranking-bills-five-biggest-needs-heading-free-agency)

Defensive tackle, Linebacker, Wide receiver, Offensive line, Defensive end/Pass rusher.

Of those 5, we addressed only Defensive tackle in a meaningful way.

And then the needs got worse at offensive line and receiver.

Setting the upcoming draft aside, it seems to me we got worse instead of better so far. What do you think?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Remember when we won the off season?  We all know how that year turned out.  In all seriousness though I think the Bills are going to fill a lot of their holes with guys who get cut after June 1st.  This way they can determine exactly what they need after the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

BLM the Bills to sum it up have neither won nor lost the offseason yet imo the Draft will be a major determining factor  but dang we have clearly taken some good hits  and  I do NOT think McBeane saw this richie situation happening...at all. It's like a forearm shiver the team didnt need blech :-(

Last year we lost Dareus, Gilmore, Darby, Woods, Watkins, Gillislee, Graham, Aaron Williams, Zach Brown.

It's called rebuilding.  Rex and Whaley lost control of the team.  The inmates were running the asylum.  It's a total rebuild with McBeane.

If we had gone 3-13 last year more fans would understand what is going on.  But because we got buy in from the team, punched above our weight and the math worked to put us in the playoffs people think we should win the Super Bowl in 2 years.

22 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Remember when we won the off season?  We all know how that year turned out.  In all seriousness though I think the Bills are going to fill a lot of their holes with guys who get cut after June 1st.  This way they can determine exactly what they need after the draft.

I agree.  I think they'll be active signing players all summer after June 1 and will present an attractive destination for priority undrafted free agents.  The Benjamin trade last year showed they aren't going to be afraid to add talent when a clear need arises.  It feels like some people think we are going to show up for day 1 of OTAs with 35 players.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 2

They still have the draft, and as someone stated above, players who get cut in the summer will become available. By that time they’ll have a better idea of their true needs heading into the season, and also the fact that those guys signed later on will come much cheaper than the ones signed now.

11 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

They still have the draft, and as someone stated above, players who get cut in the summer will become available. By that time they’ll have a better idea of their true needs heading into the season, and also the fact that those guys signed later on will come much cheaper than the ones signed now.

And won't count as #comppicks

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

The relics were the two best linemen we had Gugny.

It's a center and a guard.  I can't think of two easier positions to replace, to be honest.  It's time to get younger.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Last year we lost Dareus, Gilmore, Darby, Woods, Watkins, Gillislee, Graham, Aaron Williams, Zach Brown.

It's called rebuilding.  Rex and Whaley lost control of the team.  The inmates were running the asylum.  It's a total rebuild with McBeane.

If we had gone 3-13 last year more fans would understand what is going on.  But because we got buy in from the team, punched above our weight and the math worked to put us in the playoffs people think we should win the Super Bowl in 2 years.

I agree.  I think they'll be active signing players all summer after June 1 and will present an attractive destination for priority undrafted free agents.  The Benjamin trade last year showed they aren't going to be afraid to add talent when a clear need arises.  It feels like some people think we are going to show up for day 1 of OTAs with 35 players.

2 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Where will they get the money?

My understanding is they have just a little more than it will cost to sign their draft picks.

6 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

The relics were the two best linemen we had Gugny.

Eric Wood has been really overrated for a long time and I was upset when he signed that extension. Richie still plays at a very high level and his loss is big, but some fresh blood there is exciting and I believe we will be okay. I really do think Ryan Groy could replace one. We get a guy like Ragnow, Price maybe in the second round and Bodine becomes your swing guy or competes to start. 

I think Price is a good option. Or a guy like Hernandez would be a great addition.

8 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Where will they get the money?

My understanding is they have just a little more than it will cost to sign their draft picks.

Regarding the cap space, I read somewhere that they’ll save most of the money from Incognito with him retiring. I think it saves around $5M-$6M.  Also, if they’re signing guys in June it won’t be for much more than league minimum. 

I dont think they plabned on this, but they are trying to build the depth. Mills, Ducasse, Groy, Bodine along with a Draft Pick or two could give us a solid group. We look at this as trash, but let’s not forget Bodine started in Cincinatti for almost every game for what, 3-4 years? And he’ll battle Groy. 

The weak spot is Mills, but even he, compared to some around the league, is an average player. 

We forget how bad offensive line play has become. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was worried about the OL before this.  Now that concern is only greater.  I guess in the scheme of things we get younger.  I guess we will have to wait and see how this play out.  The lack of wide receivers is also concerning. I could see this offense being worse than last year which is saying a lot.  

• Like (+1) 1