[Vague Title]Why ?

Funny thing.  Our two best offensive linemen decided to quit football this off season.   The only two guys who were in the pro bowl.  Both were sort of funny retirements- Woods is still on the roster.   Also a bunch of former lead players (Darius, Watkins, Glenn, Darby, Brown....) got traded.   Yea, the Patriots have a model of selling-high on trading players with good rep's a year early rather than a year late.  I get that. But two funny retirements from guys who played next to each other for a couple of years.....?

3 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Funny thing.  Our two best offensive linemen decided to quit football this off season.   The only two guys who were in the pro bowl.  Both were sort of funny retirements- Woods is still on the roster.   Also a bunch of former lead players (Darius, Watkins, Glenn, Darby, Brown....) got traded.   Yea, the Patriots have a model of selling-high on trading players with good rep's a year early rather than a year late.  I get that. But two funny retirements from guys who played next to each other for a couple of years.....?

Sounds like they both have legit health reasons for doing so... Though I'm sure that won't make the news any easier for McCoy and McCarron.

These types of things are becoming more common. Guys have made their money by then and are deciding the health risks outweigh a few more $$ in the bank. Wasn't as common years ago as the $$ weren't as huge ( especially on the OL) and the medical knowledge not widely accepted or known. It's not really all that curious. 

9 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

The name is Wood and his "retirement" has already been revealed as being due to the neck injury.  It's not a mystery and there's nothing "funny" about it other than bonus/salary cap issues that need to be ironed out.

I think Woods is 100% legit medically he can't play anymore.

I think Richie looked at it as "my friend isn't there anymore, my agents negotiated me a pay cut, this Dr visit didn't go great, I'm done unless they financially make it worth my while".  It seems McBeane doesn't mess around with money, it wouldn't shock me if Richie asked for some of this money back and they told him it's not happening.

Realistically the guy is going to be 35 before the season.  It's not like he had that many more years left.  I think it's an emotional guy making an emotional decision, but not some major red flag on how the team is being run.

• SDS locked this topic

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2