Trade idea with new needs based on RI retirement

55 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

How many of those picks do you actually think will turn out to be starters?

Really, really legitimate response - one of the few in this thread.

Starters are one thing; that is as much a condemnation of your current roster as anything else. 

How many impact players, like PB quality or nearly so? I'd say two per year and over a two year period I think it's pretty rare to find three in total. I think of the Hawks a couple of years ago stringing together three great drafts. 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

How many of those picks do you actually think will turn out to be starters?

This is the thing. At BEST you are looking at, what, 40% of them turning out to be decent starters? Quality over quantity at this point. 

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Excellent! You can visit your shiny new young QB in the hospital by Week Two.

That is the exact reason AJ McCarron was signed. To take the beating this year while your shiney nee young QB sits and learns until he is ready. Maybe an entire year maybe week 8 maybe week 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

That is the exact reason AJ McCarron was signed. To take the beating this year while your shiney nee young QB sits and learns until he is ready. Maybe an entire year maybe week 8 maybe week 1

You think AJ got the memo??

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

Ok, big blow losing the anchor of our offensive line. So looking at things based on current needs I suggest making the following trade offer to the Browns.

The Bills trade 2019 1st round pick for Cleveland's 33 and 64 picks in the 2nd round and a 3rd in 2019.

This would leave the Bills the following:

Picks 12, 22, 33, 53, 56, 64, 65, 96, 121, 167, 188

one second, two thirds, two Forths, a fifth, sixth and two seventh

This year 8 picks in day one and two

We can load up on top talent with youth and manageable salaries and a huge cap number for 2019.

If we did not use any 2019 picks in a trade up this spring I would be OK with offering a second and maybe a 4th to a team holding a pick around 40-50 this year to draft Incog's replacement.  It would not be ideal but could gain a player.

52 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Just go get Quentin Nelson

Can you imagine the implosion if the Bills traded up to select a Guard? It would be Hiroshima-esque around here. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So it is completely impossible for McCarron to go down before Halloween with the fanbase at that point screaming for the savior?  McDermott would be run out of town before the end of the year if at the press conference announcing McCarron's season ending injury that Peterman will come off the bench while the rookie sits.

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Can you imagine the implosion if the Bills traded up to select a Guard? It would be Hiroshima-esque around here. :thumbsup:

Actually , if Nelson fell to 12 he would be the best value by far at that slot.  He is supposed to be the most sure thing in the draft even if the position he plays is not sexy.  I'm not banging the drum for him but it would not be surprising if a move up was out and we could not even jump a few slots for Roquan Smith.  Unless Beane is REALLY sold on one of the QB's I think that one of our 1st's goes for a MLB.  I think that Beane is going to give McDermott every chance to hang on and part of that is giving McD the piece of the defense he values most.

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Actually , if Nelson fell to 12 he would be the best value by far at that slot.  He is supposed to be the most sure thing in the draft even if the position he plays is not sexy.  I'm not banging the drum for him but it would not be surprising if a move up was out and we could not even jump a few slots for Roquan Smith.  Unless Beane is REALLY sold on one of the QB's I think that one of our 1st's goes for a MLB.  I think that Beane is going to give McDermott every chance to hang on and part of that is giving McD the piece of the defense he values most.

Oh, I would take Nelson at #12 if we aren't going QB and he was there. I was just replying to the statement "just go get Nelson". To me, that implies moving up to get him. I don't see any way he falls to us though. 

I think the rule of thumb for draft pick values is that next year's picks are discounted by a round.  If that is the case, the value of next year's 20th overall pick has value to this year's 52nd overall pick, or 380 points compared with 580 points as the value of this year's 33rd overall pick.

3 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Top pick 2nd round is 550 points, Bills pick 20 for example is 800.  This would be a fair deal.

That is current year. Picks from next year aren't worth as much, generally a 2nd is worth a 1st the following year, not 2 2nds and a 3rd.

Pick 33 is hugely valuable in trades now that there is a gap between rounds. It alone would be worth more than that trade. Teams have players that fall and plenty of time to negotiate trades.

Edited by cle23

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Excellent! You can visit your shiny new young QB in the hospital by Week Two.

Not likely. He'll get rid of the ball on light speed compared to TT. The time to get a QB is when they're available, not when you've built up an All-Pro OL and still go 8-8.