How does the Bills offensive line stack up against some of the glory years?

Optomistically speaking

Dawkins - if he continues the progression he was making over the course of the season we should be set there.

LG (Vacant) I think that Groy now goes into that spot.......I thought he has been solid for us but it is a wait and see

C (Free Agent) at least it is being replaced with a vet

RG I really want Miller back in that spot.....for some reason some analysts think Decausse actually played well when given the opportunity......I kept seeing him get overpowered

RT This is why I didnt want Glenn traded.....because I wanted to see what bookends of Dawkins/Glenn could do....but what is done is done....there HAS to be someone better then Mills out there either free agency or draft

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, K-9 said:

?

John Davis was a serviceable starter.  Let's not get carried away.  That Bills line was very good but it was never far and away the best line in the league or anything like that.  It was a top 5-10 line throughout that era.  The Bills' line over much of the last decade has also been a top 5-10 line.  We have a tendency to canonize guys because they played for the Super Bowl teams but what would Jim Ritcher be, really, if he never played in the Super Bowl?  Steve Freeman was a nice safety for the Bills for a long time but never came near a Super Bowl.  That doesn't affect my idea of how good of a player he was.  The Glenn/Incognito/Wood line was very, very good as well.  But if the OP's point is that they have their work cut out for them NOW, then of course I agree with him. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Optomistically speaking

Dawkins - if he continues the progression he was making over the course of the season we should be set there.

LG (Vacant) I think that Groy now goes into that spot.......I thought he has been solid for us but it is a wait and see

C (Free Agent) at least it is being replaced with a vet

RG I really want Miller back in that spot.....for some reason some analysts think Decausse actually played well when given the opportunity......I kept seeing him get overpowered

RT This is why I didnt want Glenn traded.....because I wanted to see what bookends of Dawkins/Glenn could do....but what is done is done....there HAS to be someone better then Mills out there either free agency or draft

They like this McDermott kid a lot.  Oh and by the way, he protected Josh Rosen at UCLA.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Just now, metzelaars_lives said:

John Davis was a serviceable starter.  Let's not get carried away.  That Bills line was very good but it was never far and away the best line in the league or anything like that.  It was a top 5-10 line throughout that era.  The Bills' line over much of the last decade has also been a top 5-10 line.  We have a tendency to canonize guys because they played for the Super Bowl teams but what would Jim Ritcher be, really, if he never played in the Super Bowl?  Steve Freeman was a nice safety for the Bills for a long time but never came near a Super Bowl.  That doesn't affect my idea of how good of a player he was.  The Glenn/Incognito/Wood line was very, very good as well.  But if the OG's point is that they have their work cut out for them NOW, then of course I agree with him. 

Not getting carried away in the least. Davis was fantastic between Hull and Ballard and deserved the same kind of recognition. He seldom needed help which made Hull's job that much easier. 

And nobody is canonizing anyone. That line was simply one of the top lines in history over the course of several seasons in both the running game and pass protection. None of our OLines since have come close to that kind of proficiency in both disciplines. I'll just agree to disagree that our OLine has been just as good over the last decade. But I'm sure the Vlad Ducasses of the bunch appreciate the tip of the hat. 

And Jim Richter would be exactly what he was if he never played in a SB; a damned good LG who garnered Pro Bowl recognition. 

57 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not getting carried away in the least. Davis was fantastic between Hull and Ballard and deserved the same kind of recognition. He seldom needed help which made Hull's job that much easier. 

And nobody is canonizing anyone. That line was simply one of the top lines in history over the course of several seasons in both the running game and pass protection. None of our OLines since have come close to that kind of proficiency in both disciplines. I'll just agree to disagree that our OLine has been just as good over the last decade. But I'm sure the Vlad Ducasses of the bunch appreciate the tip of the hat. 

And Jim Richter would be exactly what he was if he never played in a SB; a damned good LG who garnered Pro Bowl recognition. 

The glory years offensive lines are not regarded as "all time great" offensive lines.  They were very good lines- some of the best in the league- and were able to stick together for a while, which certainly helped with continuity and familiarity.  But I don't think they were ever considered the best line in the league.  And I also think that too often not enough credit has been given to the Bills lines in the past decade.  The line of 2015-16 was a top 5 unit in the NFL.  As was their line in 2012.  Their line was actually pretty good back when they had Jason Peters in 2006-07.  Doesn't mean I'd take any of them over Wolford-Ritcher-Hull-Davis-Ballard; just saying the difference in where they ranked relative to the rest of the league then vs. say, 2015-16, might not be as great as you think.  And yes, we can agree to disagree.  

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Yes, I agree. They were very good but I wouldn't try too hard to say they were the best ever.  They did work well with Kelly and let him do his thing with TT and company.  Not quite good enough to get over the hump with several great teams from the national conference but they sure dominated the american conference.   What flabbergasts me is that it took a lot of work to build and maintain those great o-lines. They were absolutely vital and integral to the success of the QB that used them  to make the WR and RB into stars on those offenses...   You gotta have all three elements for an offense- the o-line, the skill players and the QB.  I wonder how many great HoF QB's are missing from the history of the NFL because they lacked the other 2 elements they needed.  Our current crop of TBD trolls only see the QB and not the foundation.  They get brain-dead when they are told about great QB's that never were very successful and some of the reasons why.

Who elfin cares how "the Bills offensive line stack up against some of the glory years"?

Are you suggesting that Christian Hackensuck would prosper if he had a great O-line? 

We need a QB, we need to re-build the O-line.

They are both important, but one is more important.

Not only is one more important, but it's more important to get that piece this year. Why? Because there are good QBs in this draft. Next year? Not really, and who knows about the year after that. You can however draft quality O line players in most every year. This years crop is actually thin on elite OT 's. All the more reason to go QB, then maybe an interior OL. Some fans seem to want everything in one year. You get the QB when you can. That looks to be best in 2018. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Who elfin cares how "the Bills offensive line stack up against some of the glory years"?

Are you suggesting that Christian Hackensuck would prosper if he had a great O-line? 

We need a QB, we need to re-build the O-line.

They are both important, but one is more important.

Well many people care because it shows a serious team weakness that has to be fixed and it competes with resources that would be used to trade up for a shot at a QB.

38 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

You forgot the 64-65 teams offense line OP

Which had hall of famer Billy shaw

I didn't forget them.  I sat in the Rockpile and watched them.   I didn't include them because the AFL and NFL were separate and it screwed up the drafts and the naming of the all-pros.   And Dennis Shaw was way overrated.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

8 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not only is one more important, but it's more important to get that piece this year. Why? Because there are good QBs in this draft. Next year? Not really, and who knows about the year after that. You can however draft quality O line players in most every year. This years crop is actually thin on elite OT 's. All the more reason to go QB, then maybe an interior OL. Some fans seem to want everything in one year. You get the QB when you can. That looks to be best in 2018. 

I'll add that IMO the front office has been positioning themselves to grab a QB this year since they took over.