Two starting lineman gone. Are you still open to trading a 2019 1st?

Ramza86

8 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Curious you had to go back to 2002.  Where 4 players threw for over 4,000 yards and the NFL TD leader had 28 touchdowns.  This past season there were 8 4,000 yard passers and 7 players with 28 TD's and more.  In 2016 there were 13 players with more than 4,000 yards and 9 players with 28 TD's or more.  It is a completely different game now.  Just like the NHL and NBA are different than they were 20-30 years ago.  The same things that won back then don't necessarily win now.  Do I need to pull up the QB stats from 1990 and 1985?

Oh god, please no. Please don't beat that horse. I beg of thee. Let that guy go to a local bar, or his friend's mancave to explain the success of the '85 Bears. The people on this board have been through enough.

Edited by OJABBA

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

To answer the original poster's question, no, the retirement of a guard who was on a one year contract and would be 35 at the beginning of the season has no effect on what I want to do in the draft.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t want to give it up before and am less inclined now. This team doesn’t have a lot of talent and will almost certainly be picking in the top 10. Keep adding assets this year to get your QB and if you stink, you stink. 

So, just suck this season, so you might be in a better position to draft a QB, because you sucked? But you don't want to suck because your Oline is crap, you want to have an okay Oline, and suck because the QB sucks?

Don't worry, they are gonna suck this season either way, so why not get the QB now?

Edited by OJABBA

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We need a QB. 

We need a G. 

Hmm. Which one, which one do I try to secure first? 

..but we need two guards, a center, two linebackers, a wide receiver,  and by the time we get those things we will need a defensive back and a running back.  I think you do NOT want to wind up with a good looking QB and fatal holes in the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Also, look at what the Rams did, not two drafts ago but with the RG3 trade.  They traded that pick away and got tons of picks.  What did they do with those picks?  Not go to the playoffs is an answer.  They had some hits and misses.  Janoris Jenkins was definitely a nice hit but he left via free agency.  

Most of the players you do hit on with all those picks, will leave in 4 or 5 years in free agency if you don't find a QB.  You have one choice.  Trade up for the QB.  If you hit on him, the next 10-15 years are going to be some great football.  If you miss on him, you will be in relatively the same position you would be if you didn't trade up at all.

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

..but we need two guards, a center, two linebackers, a wide receiver,  and by the time we get those things we will need a defensive back and a running back.  I think you do NOT want to wind up with a good looking QB and fatal holes in the roster.

I do. 

Just now, maryland-bills-fan said:

There will ALWAYS be holes to fill on a roster. Always. All of those holes COMBINED however,  will not equal the depth of the hole at QB. If you don't have a QB, you don't have anything. We simply can't afford to keep kicking the can down the road if there's a good chance of being able to acquire that guy. And we have a very good chance this year in this draft. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

OK, how about the backup QB winning the Superbowl last year?

OK now name all those examples of back up QB's winning superbowls.. 1990 Giants had a backup...

No matter how many times you slice it. Teams with better than average QB situations make the playoffs more often and represent in the Superbowl more often.

Yes you can have anomalies but nobody plays their cards on anomalies they play the odds

Just now, K-9 said:

There will ALWAYS be holes to fill on a roster. Always. All of those holes COMBINED however,  will not equal the depth of the hole at QB. If you don't have a QB, you don't have anything. We simply can't afford to keep kicking the can down the road if there's a good chance of being able to acquire that guy. And we have a very good chance this year in this draft. 

Yup. Richie was going to be a hole in the lineup next year. Pretty soon Hughes spot will be a hole. Shady will be gone in a year or two. Another hole.

49 minutes ago, George C said:

Stay the course.

My bet is that Ritchie reconsiders at the reduced pay. He’s just having an out of reality experience from the roids today. Maybe the Bills toss a couple more bucks at him to allow him to save face.

Money doesn’t fall off of trees, and he’s not that rich. If he doesn’t reconsider, McBean has had a plan in place.

dude with all due respect, I think you are really off the mark with this one; it's not a money issue or "saving face"......if someone says his kidneys and liver are failing, we need to take him at his word. It's a health and quality of life issue. A few extra bucks does not change this reality.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
9 minutes ago, Pete said:

OK, how about the backup QB winning the Superbowl last year?

And how did Foles do in the playoffs?  He was unbelievable.  Top notch QB play no doubt, which is what you need to win.  Just like Flacco when he won the Super Bowl.  Are they great QB's, no.  Are they capable of great stretches, yes.  How many QB's of that level have been able to put a stretch together like that in the playoffs good enough to win it all?  Those might be the only two.  

The only way to be a consistent contender, year in and year out is to have a great QB.  Yes there are one off situations still where a non great QB can have a great run and win it all, but he still has to play at the highest level for that stretch and those types of things cannot be planned for or predicted.  If you are relying on guys of that caliber to win it all, there is little chance you will win one.  The only way that would be the case is if we are at the beginning of a total shift in NFL where it became possible to win big again consistently with defense and the running game.  

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12