Two starting lineman gone. Are you still open to trading a 2019 1st?

Ramza86

1 hour ago, Pete said:

the 1985 bears, 1990 giants, 2002 bucs, and 2000 Ravens disagree

Yup, out of the roughly 20 teams every year that have sucky QBs, one will win a Super Bowl roughly once every 10 years. So out of every 200 teams with sucky QBs over ten years, one will win a Super Bowl. Is that really the model you want to follow?

Seriously?

Or would you rather go with the 10 or so teams that do have QBs, one of whom will win the title roughly nine out of ten years, making your odds closer to one in 11 or so? This is a no-brainer. 

Build around the model that gives you a much much better chance to win Super Bowl over the next ten or fifteen years or so.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Boats...for all we know,Mayfield AND Allen might be there at 12.WR's...draft Chark since the only guy on the market is Maclin...screw him.I'm not worried about C,Groy was solid when Wood went down for the year after the Seattle leg blowout.

They might. The Bills may not be shot in the a$$ with either. We'll see. I just don't think an OG that was a year or two away from retirement/ cap casualty is going to alter their plans much if at all. If they like Mayfield and he's there at 5 you go get him or someone else will. They have to be prepared for all scenarios, they just can't be in the checkout line at 12 with no QB in the basket. That would be a disaster. I still think everything rests on pick #2 being available to the Bills or not. If it is, I don't think they play the waiting game. They probably have a strong conviction on one or 2 of these players over the others and will pay the premium required for the certainty of that player being there at 2. I agree they won't be interested in Maclin. Groy is a swing G/ C but either way you probably need to draft a C to start or backup. 

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Andrew Luck says it sucks to be a QB when your OL is bad.

NOT saying that they should skip drafting a QB because of this, but the rookie should not see the field this year under any circumstances behind this line.

That I agree with. Get our Rookie QB let call him Rosen. 

He sits while McCarron takes the lumps until the OL becomes somewhat competent and Rookie comes in at the end of the year 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

OK, how about the backup QB winning the Superbowl last year?

Didn't happen.

What happened is a team that had a QB who was a serious MVP candidate (after his team traded a king's ransom to get up to #2 and pick him, hint hint) went 11-2, putting them in incredible position to not just make the playoffs but to have home-field through them. Then after that, the backup QB went 2-1 for the rest of the regular season ... beating the 3-13 Giants, the 6-10 Raiders and losing to the 9-7 Cowboys. And still managed to have home-field through the playoffs, which was huge in them winning it.

They don't even make the Super Bowl, much less win it, without Carson Wentz on that team.

• Like (+1) 1

People around here are so funny to me. 

Does anyone really think a 34 year old OG retiring changes anything?

remember the same OG that took a paycut, players ONLY take paycuts to stay with the team 

go get your QB STOP settling 

20 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If only building a team were a linear process where you start with A, end in Z, and B through Y are all there in successive order year after year. 

I'd rather give up next year's 1st rather than our 2nd this year. Know value vs. unknown value. 

I agree on the first point: get a QB while you can. It's a strong year at QB, not so much at other positions. Even OL not very good this year. You can build a team and then you're waiting years for a QB that doesn't arrive. Rinse , wash, repeat. I'd give up the 2nd before next years first and here's why: The Bills pick will probably be higher next year and it's a great draft for pass rushers. Too valuable , but if they decide it's worth it to get to #2 then do it. 

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Just wondering what you guys think. Its a tough sell for me now. 

Imagine taking a guy like Rosen with health issues already and some key holes on the O line. 

Could be a rough year and a rough record. We could be giving up a high pick next year if the 2019 1st is offered. 

I agree to an extent but oline can be bought easily in free agency.  I wouldn't let some holes on our oline get in the way of getting our future franchise QB. 

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Didn't happen.

What happened is a team that had a QB who was a serious MVP candidate (after his team traded a king's ransom to get up to #2 and pick him, hint hint) went 11-2, putting them in incredible position to not just make the playoffs but to have home-field through them. Then after that, the backup QB went 2-1 for the rest of the regular season ... beating the 3-13 Giants, the 6-10 Raiders and losing to the 9-7 Cowboys. And still managed to have home-field through the playoffs, which was huge in them winning it.

They don't even make the Super Bowl, much less win it, without Carson Wentz on that team.

Well it did happen, and Foles was aces in the playoffs. But I know the point you are making and it's likely correct: Foles played very well and righted the ship, but it's doubtful he could have steered it all season. He's not Wentz. Could Frank Reich have QBd the '90 Bills through the playoffs and SB? Probably, there is evidence to support it. Could he have guided them to a 13-3 season with HF advantage throughout? It's doubtful. A good backup QB can take a strong team on a playoff run, maybe even be a decent starter. But the Eagles aren't flying quite as high without Wentz for 85% of the year. 

The Giants will need to accept #12, #53 and next years 1st or forget it! Next year we will be the #1 overall pick.

100% keep next years 2019 1st round pick unless the value is recognized. I believe that we are the worst team in the NFL with no hope of scoring over 17 points in a single game. I would rather suck for 2 more years and build the team in the trenches. Stay and take Roquan if he is at 12 or keep trading down... 

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Well it did happen, and Foles was aces in the playoffs. But I know the point you are making and it's likely correct: Foles played very well and righted the ship, but it's doubtful he could have steered it all season. He's not Wentz. Could Frank Reich have QBd the '90 Bills through the playoffs and SB? Probably, there is evidence to support it. Could he have guided them to a 13-3 season with HF advantage throughout? It's doubtful. A good backup QB can take a strong team on a playoff run, maybe even be a decent starter. But the Eagles aren't flying quite as high without Wentz for 85% of the year. 

Didn't happen. Winning the Super Bowl isn't about winning one game, the actual Super Bowl. If it were, the Bills would have had roughly a 50% shot at doing so this year. It's about making the Super Bowl ... and then winning it. With the making it being infinitely harder.

But I agree with most of your point. Except that "not flying quite as high" is underestimating the effect they'd have suffered if they didn't have Wentz. They might well not have made the playoffs if Foles had been their QB for the whole regular season.

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Didn't happen. Winning the Super Bowl isn't about winning one game, the actual Super Bowl. If it were, the Bills would have had roughly a 50% shot at doing so this year. It's about making the Super Bowl ... and then winning it. With the making it being infinitely harder.

But I agree with most of your point. Except that "not flying quite as high" is underestimating the effect they'd have suffered if they didn't have Wentz. They might well not have made the playoffs if Foles had been their QB for the whole regular season.

Actually , it IS about winning one game. Many a HC has uttered the mantra " you only have to be the better team that day". Period. That's why upsets happen, it's not a 5 game series. Look at Hostetler, for example. By not flying quite as high, I qualified it as without Wentz for 85% of the season . Yes, their altitude goes down precipitously with each game they play without Wentz. Missing the playoffs absolutely a possibility if it was a lot longer stretch. Either way, it's picking nits, although I probably think Foles is better than you do. 

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Might be a little dramatic there 

Is it? You get your franchise guy and he gets knocked out for the year because you can't block for him? I'm listening to callers on WGR saying trade away all our picks in the next TWO drafts because they are jonesing for a QB like some junkie for junk. Great, you got him. But he's surrounded by practice squad-level players. Then what?

Yes, what ever it takes to get the QB they want. Let him sit and watch for a year or play some garbage time football, Buffalo will have massive cap room next year and hopefully all our draft picks to help build around the rookie. good players find that very attractive.

Losing Glenn , Richie , Wood but keeping Castillo is not good. Hope Groy can be ok at LG and Bodine at C. Try to trade up for a QB with 3 first rd picks and maybe more in 2019 if needed. The 2s and 3s this draft are really needed now to fill gaps. 

Whichever QB they draft would have to sit for at least 1 year  till the OL can prove itself. 

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Actually , it IS about winning one game. Many a HC has uttered the mantra " you only have to be the better team that day". Period. That's why upsets happen, it's not a 5 game series. Look at Hostetler, for example. By not flying quite as high, I qualified it as without Wentz for 85% of the season . Yes, their altitude goes down precipitously with each game they play without Wentz. Missing the playoffs absolutely a possibility if it was a lot longer stretch. Either way, it's picking nits, although I probably think Foles is better than you do. 

Foles is a very good player in the right system. Kelly and Pederson had the right system for him; Jeff Fisher didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Just wondering what you guys think. Its a tough sell for me now. 

Imagine taking a guy like Rosen with health issues already and some key holes on the O line. 

Could be a rough year and a rough record. We could be giving up a high pick next year if the 2019 1st is offered. 

Nope i wasn't before but this is another reason to not let go of all those extra picks on one player ...

7 hours ago, elltrain22 said:

We will be  okay. This is  a setback,  no doubt, but we can sign a  street FA that can do  a serviceable job. Get the QB

Best get a QB with a gun for an arm and quick release, because the rush will be all over our QB whoever he is.....and the run game will be dead.