Two starting lineman gone. Are you still open to trading a 2019 1st?

Ramza86

As much as I've been pushing for Beane to "do what it takes" to get to #2, I've never included next year's 1st in that plan.

Regardless of the OL situation, I always expected a step back assuming a rookie QB would be starting, and we'd likely have a top 10 pick.

I'm all for trading away our first 6 picks this year, and/or even next year's 2nd. But the 2019 1st was never on the table, imo.

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Just wondering what you guys think. Its a tough sell for me now. 

Imagine taking a guy like Rosen with health issues already and some key holes on the O line. 

Could be a rough year and a rough record. We could be giving up a high pick next year if the 2019 1st is offered. 

Without question. Get the QB first. Fill in later.

7 minutes ago, JOSH HUFF said:

I think you keep your picks and grab 1 O-lineman with one of your first picks if he is worthy of a first pick.  Without a good O-line it doesn't matter who your QB is.  Remember David Carr as a rookie, the guy got destroyed and never was the same!!

Year Team G GS Passing Rushing Sacked Fumbles
Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A TD Int Rtg Att Yds Avg TD Sack YdsL Fum FumL
2002 HOU 16 16 233 444 52.5 2,424 5.8 9 15 62.8 59 282 4.8 3 76 411 21 7

David Carr didn't sit behind McCarron as the new guy is likely to do.

And David Carr was indeed destroyed by being pummelled unmercifully but it took three or four years of them simply not building an OL for him for the damage to get done.

• Like (+1) 1

spec·u·la·tion
[ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n]
NOUN
  1. the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
    "there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit" ·

synonyms: conjecture · theorizing · hypothesizing · supposition · guesswork · talk · 

The above is what everyone here is doing,   Due to the fact that everyone here does not know the opposite of speculation, a sure thing!

except of course you Brandon, we know your here, we know you are reading our thoughts and care what we think or is it just my own speculation.

24 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yeah. I'm sure they'd be ticked off about the new front office finally filling the 22 year long void at QB. 

No.   If the trade away both 1st and both 2nds they will put a terrible product on the field next year. With a poor offensive line, the QB will be running for his life, the RB will be getting stuffed in the backfield and it will be 3 downs with negative yardage and a punt.  With 3rd team linebackers the other team will march down the field and have subs in the game in the second half.  It will be a terrible product on the field.  The fans who pay money to enjoy a football game will wander away and find other things to do. They will not be thrilled to see God's best rookie QB on the sideline with a clipboard.  They will not be thrilled to see the team treading water for the next 5 years while slowly sinking.  Are the fans sick of losing seasons now?  Wait until they see 4 more years with "hope in the future coming".    Okay, you can then root for the San Diego VAQUERO's in the future.

image.jpeg

Just now, maryland-bills-fan said:

No.   If the trade away both 1st and both 2nds they will put a terrible product on the field next year. With a poor offensive line, the QB will be running for his life, the RB will be getting stuffed in the backfield and it will be 3 downs with negative yardage and a punt.  With 3rd team linebackers the other team will march down the field and have subs in the game in the second half.  It will be a terrible product on the field.  The fans who pay money to enjoy a football game will wander away and find other things to do. They will not be thrilled to see God's best rookie QB on the sideline with a clipboard.  They will not be thrilled to see the team treading water for the next 5 years while slowly sinking.  Are the fans sick of losing seasons now?  Wait until they see 4 more years with "hope in the future coming".    Okay, you can then root for the San Diego VAQUERO's in the future.

image.jpeg

Your shortsighted crusade is tired and boring.

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

David Carr didn't sit behind McCarron as the new guy is likely to do.

And David Carr was indeed destroyed by being pummelled unmercifully but it took three or four years of them simply not building an OL for him for the damage to get done.

David Carr should be studied why you don't play a QB without building the team first

44 minutes ago, BuffaninATL said:

dude with all due respect, I think you are really off the mark with this one; it's not a money issue or "saving face"......if someone says his kidneys and liver are failing, we need to take him at his word. It's a health and quality of life issue. A few extra bucks does not change this reality.

It does when Ritchie left the door open. Did you catch that part? It’s a money grab, and second thoughts about taking a pay cut.

50 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

And we lost a C,our MLB,two WR's,starting CB....that is a long list.

They replaced the starting CB ( who was frequently injured throughout his career) weren't interested in the MLB past a certain price point ( he's average) . The Wood retirement was a surprise, but C isn't a premier position in the NFL that costs a high draft pick. Bills WRs had overlapping skill sets : I.e too many slot receivers and no X among them. It's a problem , but cannot be addressed until the QB picture becomes clearer. No WR wants to come to the most unsettled QB situation in the entire NFL. 

1 minute ago, George C said:

It does when Ritchie left the door open. Did you catch that part? It’s a money grab, and second thoughts about taking a pay cut.

sorry, not buying what you're trying to sell .....

1 minute ago, Pete said:

David Carr should be studied why you don't play a QB without building the team first

If only building a team were a linear process where you start with A, end in Z, and B through Y are all there in successive order year after year. 

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As much as I've been pushing for Beane to "do what it takes" to get to #2, I've never included next year's 1st in that plan.

Regardless of the OL situation, I always expected a step back assuming a rookie QB would be starting, and we'd likely have a top 10 pick.

I'm all for trading away our first 6 picks this year, and/or even next year's 2nd. But the 2019 1st was never on the table, imo.

I'd rather give up next year's 1st rather than our 2nd this year. Know value vs. unknown value. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

No, David Carr should be studied for how to do a ****ty job of building around a franchise QB. 

Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw and Peyton Manning should be studied for why you get your QB when you can, and you then build the team around them, and that as you build you pay attention to the OL.

That was the problem with Carr. They brought him in and then completely neglected the OL for the next four years. It was borderline criminal. But the lesson isn't get the QB after you've built a team for him. Build a good team and you'll be drafting 20th and won't be able to get a good QB.

Saying you should build a good team before drafting a QB is like saying you should save a million bucks before starting your business, so you won't risk being be driven out of business quickly. Sounds nice but in fact if you wait till you have that million bucks, you won't ever be able to start that business, or not till close to retirement age anyway. You start your business cheap, with very little money and if you have a good plan you'll have your million before too long. When the team's good, you have to rely on pure luck as to whether a good QB will be available that year and you're not likely to be able to pick him even if there is one there because you're picking too late.

When there's one key element and it's rare, you get it whenever you have a shot at doing so. No exceptions. And if it's faulty, you try again as soon as you can.

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They replaced the starting CB ( who was frequently injured throughout his career) weren't interested in the MLB past a certain price point ( he's average) . The Wood retirement was a surprise, but C isn't a premier position in the NFL that costs a high draft pick. Bills WRs had overlapping skill sets : I.e too many slot receivers and no X among them. It's a problem , but cannot be addressed until the QB picture becomes clearer. No WR wants to come to the most unsettled QB situation in the entire NFL. 

Boats...for all we know,Mayfield AND Allen might be there at 12.WR's...draft Chark since the only guy on the market is Maclin...screw him.I'm not worried about C,Groy was solid when Wood went down for the year after the Seattle leg blowout.

32 minutes ago, DougFlutie7 said:

Some of you fans are really, really dumb. You don’t change your plans for moving up in the draft to get your franchise QB for the next 15 years based on a 34 year old guard retiring. 

You might think about it if the QB rumors are targeting has a shoulder and a couple of concussions on his rap sheet. 

Id be a lot happier if we had our pick of QB...but right now its lookin like Rosen at 4 or lower.

You might not change your plans...but you sure as hell jeopardize a young QB with a weak line. Not deep either.