Richie Incognito Retires Via Twitter - Now Confirmed

Virgil

2 hours ago, Doc said:

And I'm having a hard time buying that he took a pay cut a month ago and then just a week ago realized he took a pay cut, got pissed, and then decided to do something about it.  Again there was nothing new that could have been learned about his contract that he didn't already know a month ago.  Now if he truly had a doctor's appointment within the past few weeks, something that is easily verifiable, that would support his health reasons claim, along with not wanting to start over with an unsettled QB situation.  So I still say option 1 makes the most sense to me.  Pitching a fit over taking a pay cut but costing yourself $7M doesn't. 

As for option 3, the things he told both aren't mutually exclusive.  He was probably pissed about the pay cut but decided he had had enough, and tried to see if the Bills would give him a big pay raise on a lark.  They didn't so he retired.  End of story and his time with the Bills.

Yeah, that's pretty much Option #2...

And the unsettled QB situation?? What does he care?  He's a Guard.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

And I'm having a hard time buying that he took a pay cut a month ago and then just a week ago realized he took a pay cut, got pissed, and then decided to do something about it.  Again there was nothing new that could have been learned about his contract that he didn't already know a month ago.  Now if he truly had a doctor's appointment within the past few weeks, something that is easily verifiable, that would support his health reasons claim, along with not wanting to start over with an unsettled QB situation.  So I still say option 1 makes the most sense to me.  Pitching a fit over taking a pay cut but costing yourself $7M doesn't. 

As for option 3, the things he told both aren't mutually exclusive.  He was probably pissed about the pay cut but decided he had had enough, and tried to see if the Bills would give him a big pay raise on a lark.  They didn't so he retired.  End of story and his time with the Bills.

I would bet he's been communicating behind the scenes with OBD since the pay cut occurred. Just because he waited a couple weeks to go public doesn't mean he realized he took a payout 3 weeks later.

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

I would bet he's been communicating behind the scenes with OBD since the pay cut occurred. Just because he waited a couple weeks to go public doesn't mean he realized he took a payout 3 weeks later.

Exactly.  He fired his agent (goofball move) then tried to renegotiate as a 34 yo lineman with few options outside the Bills at that price.  Bills said no.  Then he quits, leaving money on the table (bonehead move).  Cites sudden awareness of multi-organ failure as the real reason for the embarrassing turn of events this past month.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Still no "congratulations Richie" or anything like that. Does anyone else besides me wonder why? 

Just straight business - "Richie has been placed on the reserved/retired list". 

So far, IMO, this whole thing just has not really read like someone retiring for medical reasons. 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly.  He fired his agent (goofball move) then tried to renegotiate as a 34 yo lineman with few options outside the Bills at that price.  Bills said no.  Then he quits, leaving money on the table (bonehead move).  Cites sudden awareness of multi-organ failure as the real reason for the embarrassing turn of events this past month.

You've never played in the NFL WEO.  Your opinion on the matter means little.  Or so I've been told.

Suffice it to say he's retired, for whatever reason.  One day you too will decide what it would take/if it's worth it to eke out one last year.

21 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Still no "congratulations Richie" or anything like that. Does anyone else besides me wonder why? 

So far, IMO, this whole thing just has not really read like someone retiring for medical reasons. 

I'm sure they aren't thrilled at OBD. 

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm sure they aren't thrilled at OBD. 

They probably learned from the Eric Wood fiasco, and are likely gearing up for a fight over unamortized bonus money.

6 hours ago, TheBeane said:

Are there any salary cap impacts?

$3.65M to $5.9M.  The usual protocol is a voluntarily retiring player repays his pro-rated bonus money, which in RI's case would be $1.25M and would get us the higher amount.

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

They probably learned from the Eric Wood fiasco, and are likely gearing up for a fight over unamortized bonus money.

As far as I know, RI passed his post-season physical and no official Bills physician has examined Incognito and refused him clearance to play football. 

So there should be no fight.    If Incognito wants to keep his bonus money he needs to stay on the roster until the Bills give him a physical and he fails.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

41 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

His approach has been embarrassing, throwing Fbombs to the media about his contract and saying he would rather play golf.  Bills are keeping it classy but no need to go overboard on the public gratitude. 

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don’t think he has a case. docs would need to determine he is unable to play football. He even admitted that isn’t true. What he has is fixable but he’s too stressed to go on playing. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

You've never played in the NFL WEO.  Your opinion on the matter means little.  Or so I've been told.

Suffice it to say he's retired, for whatever reason.  One day you too will decide what it would take/if it's worth it to eke out one last year.

Yes, and then I will fire my accountant via twitter, ask my chairman if I can stay one more year at a fully guaranteed salary (after I've already agreed to less), and when he says no I will announce that my vital organs are failing and I was going to retire all along.

And if playing in the NFL is required to post an opinion on this board, then you might want to inform the mods so they can update the terms of use.  Probably have to shut the place down, right?

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, and then I will fire my accountant via twitter, ask my chairman if I can stay one more year at a fully guaranteed salary (after I've already agreed to less), and when he says no I will announce that my vital organs are failing and I was going to retire all along.

And if playing in the NFL is required to post an opinion on this board, then you might want to inform the mods so they can update the terms of use.  Probably have to shut the place down, right?

Those are your own words, WEO.  I guess they only apply when defending a player's stupid take on why another player shouldn't be suspended for committing assault on the playing field.  

In any case, Ritchie's a big boy and chose his path.  Who are you to say he's a goofball or bonehead?  If anything you should be happy he's no longer on the team.   

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Those are your own words, WEO.  I guess they only apply when defending a player's stupid take on why another player shouldn't be suspended for committing assault on the playing field.  

In any case, Ritchie's a big boy and chose his path.  Who are you to say he's a goofball or bonehead?  If anything you should be happy he's no longer on the team.   

Ok doc.

Anyway, Richie is a big boy, but his behavior this off-season is ultimately consistent with an adult life filled with bizarre, boneheaded and goofball behavior.  How can you debate this at this point? Oh, right..

I've said it repeatedly in another thread:  the loss of RI is a small loss that won't be felt painfully by the Bills this year.  It's not to make one "happy" or sad.  

Personally if he stays retired or tries to get us to release him it says a lot of him.  Maybe all the bad is a depiction of his true character.  Who knows how bad his health is but I'm guessing this is a hissy fit more than anything.