ESPN says we overpaid for Star

stuvian

11 minutes ago, Billsfanatixs said:

Yeah we overpaid for our safties last year and then they showed they are pro-bowlers

wtf.

who is running the show in Buffalo these days anyways ?
 No point in picking up all pros or pro bowl worthy invites. They are just going to cost you monies later on.
/end sarcasm

for now

12 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

wtf.

who is running the show in Buffalo these days anyways ?
 No point in picking up all pros or pro bowl worthy invites. They are just going to cost you monies later on.
/end sarcasm

for now

Bring back Whaley! 

• Haha (+1) 3

On 4/10/2018 at 7:12 AM, stuvian said:

In other news, Water is Wet

Seriously, teams always "overpay" for FA. 

Either the teams get what they want and the player still has a fire in his belly after getting paid (in which case who cares) or they don't and he doesn't.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Seems rather high especially if you're counting on the rookie MLB to contribute to that number significantly. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Can't see it. Still far too high with TM included.  

Will you buy 20 sacks and 2 safeties?

Ok, maybe 30 is a bit optimistic but I can see 30 if you throw Murphy in there as well. I can see a resurgence from J. Hughes and some stellar rookie play from Edmunds. Murphy seems like blue collar lunch pail material.  

7 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Will you buy 20 sacks and 2 safeties?

Ok, maybe 30 is a bit optimistic but I can see 30 if you throw Murphy in there as well. I can see a resurgence from J. Hughes and some stellar rookie play from Edmunds. Murphy seems like blue collar lunch pail material.  

That seems realistic.   Hughes' career best season totaled 10 sacks while Murphy had one 9 sack season so 30 with Edmunds included seems far beyond what I can fathom as attainable.

The average team rushing yards per game (for all teams) last year in the NFL was 110 yards.

In Buffalo's first six games of the season, they gave up:

38 yds to the Jets

77 yds to Carolina

111 yds to Denver

147 yds to Atlanta

62 yds to Cinci

69 yds to Tampa

So, 4 of 6 games they held teams way below the average, one game around average, and one bad game (but to Atlanta who has a pretty good set of RBs and overall offense)

October 27th, the team trades Marcell to Jax and the next four games look like this:

166 yards to Oakland

194 yards to the Jets (after holding them to 38 in the first meeting)

298 yards to NO

146 yards to the Chargers

Yes, we probably overpaid for Star, but he is exactly what this defense needs. And there has been some talk that he has improved his pass rushing game, but we actually don't even need that from him. We now have plenty of players who are good at rushing the passer (Kyle, Jerry, Murphy, and Yarbrough, at least, from the D-line; and all 3 LBs can rush the passer well: Zo, Milano, and Edmunds, and we have safeties and corners who can rush if called upon by the scheme). McDermott can bring pressure from anywhere. What we needed was a big man to clog up running lanes, stop any push of the pocket (so the QB can't climb the pocket and step up away from the rush), and free up other defenders by consistently taking up two blockers. 

I believe that the three reasons we were so bad at getting sacks last year were: 1. teams were gashing us up the middle in the run game, so they usually had short 2nd and third down distances, negating any pressure because the passes get out too fast. 2. QBs could step up into the pocket to avoid the rush because O-lines were getting good push against our front. and 3. Teams just didn't have to throw much because they were marching up and down the field mostly with their run games. Hopefully Star fills that hole left by Marcell and we improve in all of those areas, allowing our pass rushers more opportunities, while also being better against the run.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 7

7 minutes ago, folz said:

The average team rushing yards per game (for all teams) last year in the NFL was 110 yards.

In Buffalo's first six games of the season, they gave up:

38 yds to the Jets

77 yds to Carolina

111 yds to Denver

147 yds to Atlanta

62 yds to Cinci

69 yds to Tampa

So, 4 of 6 games they held teams way below the average, one game around average, and one bad game (but to Atlanta who has a pretty good set of RBs and overall offense)

October 27th, the team trades Marcell to Jax and the next four games look like this:

166 yards to Oakland

194 yards to the Jets (after holding them to 38 in the first meeting)

298 yards to NO

146 yards to the Chargers

Adding a bit to your argument, Dareus was out for the Denver game and not as effective when he played in the Atlanta game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:26 AM, ScottLaw said:

ESPN is on its last legs. 

Surprised people still read/watch them. 

If by "last legs" you mean still far and away the largest, most popular and followed sports media outlet, I guess?

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Adding a bit to your argument, Dareus was out for the Denver game and not as effective when he played in the Atlanta game.

True.  But they won both games.

Did not read all responses but ESPN writes articles based on 535 which tells the value of Star based on his numbers-NFL is the least reasonable to quantify because so many things are scheme dependent. Star might be overpaid but no one has any idea for at least 2 years, unless they know Buffalo could have had him for less-which they do not.

On 4/10/2018 at 7:20 AM, TheTruthHurts said:

Says who? His teammates say he allows them to stuff the run.

When he's there for 50% of the snaps. We signed a rotation NT. I'd like to know why he wasn't playing more.

I may be wrong but Panthers fans have told me he really didn't play as much as you'd think.

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

When he's there for 50% of the snaps. We signed a rotation NT. I'd like to know why he wasn't playing more.

I may be wrong but Panthers fans have told me he really didn't play as much as you'd think.

It looks like Star hovered around 60% of the defensive snaps and 17% of special teams snaps. Which seems about right for a big man...

rotational is not a bad thing, those guys need some rest to maximize the snaps they do play. And McDermott is big on rotating all of his linemen.

And McD was Star's defensive coordinator for 4 of his 5 seasons.

2017: 59% of defensive snaps    19% of special teams snaps (16 games)

2016: 60% of defensive snaps    17% of special teams snaps (16 games)

2015: 48% of defensive snaps    11% of special teams snaps (14 games - missed 2 games due to injury which lowers his snaps %)

2014: 47% of defensive snaps    14% of special teams snaps (14 games - missed 2 games due to injury     "            "                           ) 

2013: 60% of defensive snaps    14% of special teams snaps (16 games)

14 hours ago, Billsfanatixs said:

Yeah we overpaid for our safties last year and then they showed they are pro-bowlers

Who said we overpaid for our Ss?  Almost everyone loved the Hyde signing and apogee hardly broke the bank.

Bills fans are so sensitive.  Yes, we probably over paid for a run stuffing DT in a passing league.  If he produces and shuts down the run his first couple of years, it’s a good move.  Personally, I think run stuffers are out dated but we will see.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

He's cheaper than it would have been to keep Dareus, he's not a risk for being suspended, and he might actually give a crap about being a professional.

True but Dareus is a far superior talent.  Plus, we still have Dareus dead money. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Who said we overpaid for our Ss?  Almost everyone loved the Hyde signing and apogee hardly broke the bank.

Bills fans are so sensitive.  Yes, we probably over paid for a run stuffing DT in a passing league.  If he produces and shuts down the run his first couple of years, it’s a good move.  Personally, I think run stuffers are out dated but we will see.

True but Dareus is a far superior talent.  Plus, we still have Dareus dead money. 

I recall more than a few saying the Bills overpaid for Hyde and especially Poyer.  I knew Hyde would be a good signing but was thrilled with how Poyer did.

As for Dareus, the dead money was a sunk cost.  And talent means little if you don't use it to its fullest extent.  I guess we'll see how each does moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1