ESPN says we overpaid for Star

stuvian

9 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Not on the basis of Dareus' play for the Bills or Jags in the last 3 years it wasn't

Dareus was a beast up the middle, our run defense went to **** as soon as he left & the Jags became elite.

He was eating up 2 OL every play, allowing other guys to make plays

14 hours ago, cba fan said:

So many fans state this and they are completely wrong every time.

It is your money if you do any of the following:

pay taxes in WNY, buy any Bills merchandise/collectibles, Bills tickets, food in stadium, support outlets that show Bills content like Sunday Ticket, any tv showing Bills games, CBS, ESPN, radio stations etc etc...…... 

I dont agree.  You are not a capital investor.  Aside from taxes, you are paying for product or a service so you are getting something of value in return for your purchase. That is like saying since you shop at Walmart you have the right to be upset if they spend money on new trucks or redecorating all their stores.  Once you exchange your money for a service or product, you are made whole with your purchase. As far as taxes go, you can be upset about taxes supporting the stadium and the Bills. You have the power of the vote to change where taxes get spent. 

Bills FO doesn’t make mistakes. That’s why we have been so dominant. 

3 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I dont agree.  You are not a capital investor.  Aside from taxes, you are paying for product or a service so you are getting something of value in return for your purchase. That is like saying since you shop at Walmart you have the right to be upset if they spend money on new trucks or redecorating all their stores.  Once you exchange your money for a service or product, you are made whole with your purchase. As far as taxes go, you can be upset about taxes supporting the stadium and the Bills. You have the power of the vote to change where taxes get spent. 

You must not understand the term salary cap. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

And the FO has stayed the same over the past couple decades, right?

On 7/8/2018 at 2:40 PM, Limeaid said:

Did you agree with every ranking of ranker?  Maybe the ranking was just rank-smelling?

The fact of the matter is he had lost his job as a starter in Carolina. Was that due to poor play or the level of talent they have? I don't know. He doesn't have to get 10 sacks or a 100 tackles a year. He's not a Jim Schwartz coached version of Dareus. It still seems like an awful lot of money to give a rotational DT and one who isn't that overly impressive imo. I will hold that opinion until he proves it otherwise on the field. 

49 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

You must not understand the term salary cap. 

you truly are a gem of the message boards.  stay strong sweet prince.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

you truly are a gem of the message boards.  stay strong sweet prince.

Frencheyes?  

You must agree w the comment... it’s not my money so why care what the front office pays out for a player?   You are a funny dude. 

Edited by nedboy7

23 hours ago, cba fan said:

So many fans state this and they are completely wrong every time.

It is your money if you do any of the following:

pay taxes in WNY, buy any Bills merchandise/collectibles, Bills tickets, food in stadium, support outlets that show Bills content like Sunday Ticket, any tv showing Bills games, CBS, ESPN, radio stations etc etc...…... 

It's not your money once you spend it. It is now their money.

All I will say with Star is this.  What he does in the defense is not splashy.  But there are reasons why Luke, and K Short excel. 1.  They are good.  2.  There has to be someone else there to keep guys off of Luke and allow K Short to go 1v1. 

PFF can't talk about him being ranked dead last, but they don't know the scheme and what he's being asked to do.  The Panthers were tough to run on and he is a big part of that.  If he can help that happen here then I'm good with it.  The thing with PFF is that I find it no coincidence that they are basing this off of tackle numbers.  In 2013 Star had 37 solo, 4 assists and 4 sacks and 7 tackles for loss.  But his numbers have declined every year since 2013 to a whopping 12 tackles in 2016  with 1 for loss and 15 in 2017 with 3 for loss.  They take these numbers and compare to other guys at the position then rank them.  That's fine but it doesn't factor in what a guy is being asked to do in a defense.

Did we overpay?  Maybe, but if his play allows Edmunds to run around and eat vs the run like Luke and our run defense is in the top 7 in the league then I'm fine with the overpay.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We're really gonna take the PFF chart over his prior coach's opinion?

we drafted a hyper active DT, kept our aging one for one more season, signed an all around DE, and traded up to draft a stud ultra athlete (freak really) 20 year old LB.  the guts of our D have totally been revamped.  if Star does his job as mccoach expects him to, it was a good signing.

imo he's a beast and has been one since college.  i could give a fuzz what some pff chart says.

31 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

All I will say with Star is this.  What he does in the defense is not splashy.  But there are reasons why Luke, and K Short excel. 1.  They are good.  2.  There has to be someone else there to keep guys off of Luke and allow K Short to go 1v1. 

PFF can't talk about him being ranked dead last, but they don't know the scheme and what he's being asked to do.  The Panthers were tough to run on and he is a big part of that.  If he can help that happen here then I'm good with it.  The thing with PFF is that I find it no coincidence that they are basing this off of tackle numbers.  In 2013 Star had 37 solo, 4 assists and 4 sacks and 7 tackles for loss.  But his numbers have declined every year since 2013 to a whopping 12 tackles in 2016  with 1 for loss and 15 in 2017 with 3 for loss.  They take these numbers and compare to other guys at the position then rank them.  That's fine but it doesn't factor in what a guy is being asked to do in a defense.

Did we overpay?  Maybe, but if his play allows Edmunds to run around and eat vs the run like Luke and our run defense is in the top 7 in the league then I'm fine with the overpay.

he played a lot of snaps on that d line. a defense that has been top five against the run the last few years.  we might have overpaid but i dont think by a whole lot.  our run d was so bad last year i see us being top 10ish this year if we keep healthy. 

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

he played a lot of snaps on that d line. a defense that has been top five against the run the last few years.  we might have overpaid but i dont think by a whole lot.  our run d was so bad last year i see us being top 10ish this year if we keep healthy. 

Which is the reason why IF we "overpaid" I'm completely fine with it if our run defense is anything similar to the Panthers.  I think we could have been more competitive and won at least three more games last season with a better run defense.

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

look at how many plays he was in for the last 2 years.

sleep well on that.

Lol, okay I'll look at those plays that reflect how his numbers have declined in the run game. Literally showed you proof that his numbers declined and you tell me to sleep well on what exactly? 

9 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Lol, okay I'll look at those plays that reflect how his numbers have declined in the run game. Literally showed you proof that his numbers declined and you tell me to sleep well on what exactly? 

His tackle numbers declined but did Luke's and K Short's increase?

4 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

Exactly..

Look at the scheme and defense as a puzzle. You got 11 pieces and Star is one of the most important pieces,but his piece of the puzzle is not flashy and isn't meant to be a playmaker,he makes the playmakers jobs around him much easier.