stuvian

ESPN says we overpaid for Star

I say we overpaid. But I'm fine with that because no one knows him better than McDermott and Beane. 

• Like 5

Based on last year's performance we did.   But if he plays the way he did early in McDermott defense then I'd say about right.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Who cares.

Problem is he doesn’t get sacks and that is how he is being judged by the media. 

If our run D significantly improves, our LBs stay cleaner and it frees up the rest of our D line because he is getting doubled he earned his paycheck IMO

Edited by ChanticleerBillsFan
  • Like 16

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I say we overpaid. But I'm fine with that because no one knows him better than McDermott and Beane. 

Yes we definitely overpaid, but you are 100% right. Part of the risk of free agency is signing a guy and not knowing the person and how he fits. Kind of like Osweiler with the Texans. For our brain trust to know Star as well as they do, there is significantly less risk because they know exactly what they are getting. There is a trust factor there so the chances of signing an Albert Haynesworth are significantly lower. 

Not my money... at least he is going to be working for his salary, unlike all that dead cap space...

• Like 3

Overpaid for Clay for similar reasons. Greg Roman needed that piece for his offense. Star is a similar piece to McD's defense. He eats up the blockers so the LB's can run free. When you get new coaches you need guys to fit their scheme and you need them right away. Simple as that

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Who cares.

Problem is he doesn’t get sacks and that is how he is being judged by the media. 

If our run D significantly improves, our LBs stay cleaner and it frees up the rest of our D line because he is getting doubled he earned his paycheck IMO

Hes not that good of a run stuffer tho

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

Overpaid for Clay for similar reasons. Greg Roman needed that piece for his offense. Star is a similar piece to McD's defense. He eats up the blockers so the LB's can run free. When you get new coaches you need guys to fit their scheme and you need them right away. Simple as that

Right?

I'm too lazy to find it, but I read a quote by kuelchy saying that star made his life easy by eating blockers all day long.

• Like 1

This isn't news.  We've known we overpaid for Star since the contract details came out.  The contract doesn't match his recent production.

Clearly Beane and McD think Star's future production will match his salary.  We'll see.  

• Like 1

this team is dead to me.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

He is. But just not last year.  

His first couple years he was a beast. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Says who? His teammates say he allows them to stuff the run.

All small markets teams always overpay or get useless players like Poyer.  Every move by NE, Dallas and now the Rams is brilliant.  That is a summary of ESPN for at least the last 10 years and at least the next 10.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Who cares.

What LBs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Overpayed" but still can cut him next off season with reasonable dead cap hit. If he played well and helps the run d he's worth every penny.

11 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I say we overpaid. But I'm fine with that because no one knows him better than McDermott and Beane

What about the team that didn't re-sign him?

I don't like this signing personally, but obviously McBeane know what they're getting with Star and felt that he was worth it. I guess we'll have to see. I just don't think he's a very good player from what I've seen over the last few years.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Says who? His teammates say he allows them to stuff the run.

They lied

20180410_082844.jpg

Edited by BillsFan17
  • Like 1

He graded out poorly in 2017 and I believe he lost his starting gig in 2016 for Carolina. If this is the Star we get then we grossly overpaid. If we get the 2013-2015 version then it is not a bad contract. Time will tell. Maybe he just needed a change of scenery. 

• Like 1

ESPN? I remember that channel from years ago. They're still around?

13 minutes ago, teef said:

this team is dead to me.

Then leave the board and don't come back.  Bye, get lost and go troll on another site loser.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1