ESPN says we overpaid for Star

stuvian

23 hours ago, MJS said:

Trust McDermott. I mean, who knows Star better than him? He obviously thought we needed him and that he was worth the price tag.

Like the coaches/players he knew and then dumped a year later?

Sometimes it is better for teams to sign players or hire coaches they do not know but have professionally vetted to eliminate familiarity bias.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Like the coaches/players he knew and then dumped a year later?

Sometimes it is better for teams to sign players or hire coaches they do not know but have professionally vetted to eliminate familiarity bias.

...tough call bud......maybe the one hired assumes nepotism solidifies his position only to find out it means NOTHING to McD......rather have him make the tough call versus supporting "friendly hires"......

I still feel we overpaid until he proves me wrong on the field. He ranked 109th last year out of all the DT's. That's one hell of a haul for a guy who wasn't even in the top half of the league at his position. Not to mention he had lost his starting job in Carolina. Maybe he needed a change of scenery? Maybe he's just not that good? Time will tell. 

On 7/7/2018 at 9:16 AM, Jpsredemption said:

The analytics don't back him up but it's a great signing around here because it's the Bills and he's a name. 

Truth is he's overpaid and I'm not certain he's any more motivated that the clown they traded away for nothing last season.

Yes because of course analytics are a true rep of what a down linemen does for your team......sacks are everything.....and guys that make it easier for the LB's of your team to make plays mean little.

Marcel was on a 100 million dollar contract.....Star is not

How many games has Star actually missed in his career...how many times has he violated NFL policies....how many teams has he fallen asleep in team meetings....how many times has he been late for meetings...how many times did he have to be benched by the team for these things.

They of course are TOTALLY the same thing

\

On 7/6/2018 at 10:37 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Who said we overpaid for our Ss?  Almost everyone loved the Hyde signing and apogee hardly broke the bank.

Bills fans are so sensitive.  Yes, we probably over paid for a run stuffing DT in a passing league.  If he produces and shuts down the run his first couple of years, it’s a good move.  Personally, I think run stuffers are out dated but we will see.

True but Dareus is a far superior talent.  Plus, we still have Dareus dead money. 

Yes, but we received foreseeable relife from dareus's massive contract.

I believe the McBeane doesnt put one hundred million dollars on the value of a run stuffer.

Sure darues is a lot more than that, but that didn't fit into the scheme.  Let them style there defense into the top flight one they had in Carolina.  

I trust the process.

Edited by JaxBills

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

They didn’t overpay. That was his market value. 

I'm not sure who we were competing with to give him $10M annually though. Then again, I did feel the same way about giving some guy named Jordan Poyer over $3M yearly, too. 

As for how I feel about the contract, we won't be able to determine if the value matches up with Star's stats or metrics alone, but how the defense will perform as a whole. If he really is a guy that eats double teams and helps Kyle, Jerry, and Trent out as our collective defensive ranking improves, of course it'll be worth it. I

f that's not the case this will be the first major blemish of Beane's tenure. The downwards trajectory PFF has given him is very concerning, and Carolina definitely opted to pay a much better player in Kawaan Short - yet another concern is why Star seemed to play so badly recently with Short alongside him.

59 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...tough call bud......maybe the one hired assumes nepotism solidifies his position only to find out it means NOTHING to McD......rather have him make the tough call versus supporting "friendly hires"......

He hired the coach from Eastern Carolina who recommended Zay Jones dumping the WR coach all of the WRs said were doing a good job of teaching techniques.  The coach who could not get Zay to next level.  If players and coaches had similar salary structures Zay would have been dumped with coach.

38 minutes ago, H2o said:

I still feel we overpaid until he proves me wrong on the field. He ranked 109th last year out of all the DT's. That's one hell of a haul for a guy who wasn't even in the top half of the league at his position. Not to mention he had lost his starting job in Carolina. Maybe he needed a change of scenery? Maybe he's just not that good? Time will tell. 

Did you agree with every ranking of ranker?  Maybe the ranking was just rank-smelling?

36 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He hired the coach from Eastern Carolina who recommended Zay Jones dumping the WR coach all of the WRs said were doing a good job of teaching techniques.  The coach who could not get Zay to next level.  If players and coaches had similar salary structures Zay would have been dumped with coach.

Did you agree with every ranking of ranker?  Maybe the ranking was just rank-smelling?

McD gets first year HC Coaching free pass. Because no matter how many mistakes he made ? He likely learned from them. he said as much actually.

Picking up Star L and paying him well for his yet to be reviewed work as a Bill ? Gotta trust them on this one.
we have no idea if they overpaid for guy to solidify the middle of the line of scrimmage. Team game of course.

But it is safe to say , they have expectations of him being a solid player for some years to come.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes because of course analytics are a true rep of what a down linemen does for your team......sacks are everything.....and guys that make it easier for the LB's of your team to make plays mean little.

Marcel was on a 100 million dollar contract.....Star is not

How many games has Star actually missed in his career...how many times has he violated NFL policies....how many teams has he fallen asleep in team meetings....how many times has he been late for meetings...how many times did he have to be benched by the team for these things.

They of course are TOTALLY the same thing

\

And plenty of players do not commit the acts you laid forth. This doesn't mean they aren't overrated/over compensated etc.

His run defense and pass rush were down. No denying that. They signed him because they know him...sounds like we have a real analytical front office.

4 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

And plenty of players do not commit the acts you laid forth. This doesn't mean they aren't overrated/over compensated etc.

His run defense and pass rush were down. No denying that. They signed him because they know him...sounds like we have a real analytical front office.

And how good was Jordan Poyer before they "overpaid" him?  What about Micah Hyde? 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:24 AM, Dablitzkrieg said:

Not your $$.  Don't worry

So many fans state this and they are completely wrong every time.

It is your money if you do any of the following:

pay taxes in WNY, buy any Bills merchandise/collectibles, Bills tickets, food in stadium, support outlets that show Bills content like Sunday Ticket, any tv showing Bills games, CBS, ESPN, radio stations etc etc...…... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, cba fan said:

So many fans state this and they are completely wrong every time.

It is your money if you do any of the following:

pay taxes in WNY, buy any Bills merchandise/collectibles, Bills tickets, food in stadium, support outlets that show Bills content like Sunday Ticket, any tv showing Bills games, CBS, ESPN, radio stations etc etc...…... 

Ok, feel free to worry about it.  Why on Earth would you quote me on a topic from April?

2 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Dn. No denying that. They signed him because they know him...sounds like we have a real analytical front office.

Do you every get tired of twisting your arguement when you get called out on it?

You compared him to Marcel....yet he shows none of the personal issues that Marcel was displaying as far as we know he has been a good team mate and durable.

Did they bring him in because they know him?  Of course they did.....and that fact that he knows the defensive strategy that McD wants to employ.