HOLD!!! HOLD!!! HOLD!!! Why the Bills shouldn’t overpay on draft day

Bakin

As we approach draft day, I can’t help but recall the awesome Battle of Sterling in the movie Braveheart where William Wallace calls for his soldiers to ‘HOLD’ as they are approached on the battlefield by a much larger and better equipped army. 

If you don’t know the scene or can’t bare to watch the gory clip, Wallace and his freedom seeking Scots HOLD their line as the enemy approaches, and deceptively change tactics at the last second, only to leave the English dazed and confused and shredded on the field of battle. 

And so as the horses take off with the opening of the NFL Draft, and begin to bear down on the Bills with what appears insurmountable adversity (with 3 of the top 5 teams all but GUARANTEED to take a QB), it would seem foolhardy to pay an absurdly exorbitant price for an uncertain quantity. 

Call me a contrarian but With everyone and their mother calling for the Bills to trade up this month, I think we fool them all let the draft to come to us...rather than spew our goo for anything less than what we came for. 

So I say HOLD. If I could photoshop Beane’s head with blue face paint over Mel Gibson’s I would do it. 

In business dealings, you always want to pay, at the very most, a fair and reasonable price. Ideally you want to get the better of your opponent but sometimes you cannot acquire what you want.....everything is not always for sale, but if it is, it may come at an unreasonable price.

I wouldn’t entertain such requests. 

I would make a reasonable offer to whomever at whatever stage, but if it doesn’t work out, I’m not going to mortgage this draft or the next one for the opportunity. 

Take the Jets: they lost the war before the battle has even begun. No matter what happens on draft day they will say ‘he’s the guy we wanted from the beginning, blah blah blah’. I don’t believe that for a second. I’m sure that by moving up too soon, and for too much, if Sun Tzu were an NFL GM he would be licking his chops knowing that Buffalo is next. 

I think Beane is smarter than that. 

I don’t believe he will be a patsy and overpay for an unknown quantity. 

Let’s HOLD and take what comes to us

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

Not much interested in discussing the football/Bills/draft stuff, but thanks for posting the clip! 

Never saw Braveheart but this looks like the beginning of a good battle scene.

:beer:

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Not much interested in discussing the football/Bills/draft stuff, but thanks for posting the clip! 

Never saw Braveheart? Is that possible? It was on cable today and when I saw “Hold!”, I didn’t need to see the clip.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I recommend you obtain and watch immediately.  Much better use of time than following the next 15 new draft threads here with some new revelation that’s not new at all 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

One of the best movies ever.  I hardly ever watch movies more than once and I've see it 10+ times.  

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Gotta watch it. Great movie. 

1 hour ago, Bakin said:

Why be bold? Why be the master of your own destiny? Why reach out and take what is yours when you can sit there and hope others will provide? Don't swing for the fences son, bunt, bunt, bunt! "Take what comes to us" is just about the most miserable life advice I have ever heard unless your only goal in life is to slowly rot from the inside out while toiling away in middle management. Let me guess, your favorite color is beige, your favorite food is a ham sandwich and your idea of a hot night is listening to Mel Torme while doing it with the lights on. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nah.

If at all possible, do what you came to do, Beane.

And in Braveheart, Wallace's "hold" wasn't about changing plan, only about not starting to execute his plan too early. The Scottish simply waited to do the thing they'd planned.

Every move Beane has made has been calculated to getting up into the top QBs. He might not be able to accomplish that. But if he holds, it'll almost certainly be to make that tradeup.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Letting the draft come to a team...the Buddy Nix draft day strategy. 

This has been the longest off-season and there's still 2 weeks left.  

Worked for the Cheaters** with Tommy. And the Hawks with Wilson.

There's no right answer beyond picking the right guy. They can literally be found anywhere. Even at the grocery store bagging groceries

" Why be bold? Why be the master of your own destiny? Why reach out and take what is yours when you can sit there and hope others will provide? Don't swing for the fences son, bunt, bunt, bunt! "Take what comes to us" is just about the most miserable life advice I have ever heard unless your only goal in life is to slowly rot from the inside out while toiling away in middle management. Let me guess, your favorite color is beige, your favorite food is a ham sandwich and your idea of a hot night is listening to Mel Torme while doing it with the lights on.  "

It is bottom of the ninth, tie game.  Bunting with a running on second and no outs is a good thing.   Swinging for the fences with eyes closed is a bad thing.  Your welcome.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bakin said:

As we approach draft day, I can’t help but recall the awesome Battle of Sterling in the movie Braveheart where William Wallace calls for his soldiers to ‘HOLD’ as they are approached on the battlefield by a much larger and better equipped army. 

If you don’t know the scene or can’t bare to watch the gory clip, Wallace and his freedom seeking Scots HOLD their line as the enemy approaches, and deceptively change tactics at the last second, only to leave the English dazed and confused and shredded on the field of battle. 

And so as the horses take off with the opening of the NFL Draft, and begin to bear down on the Bills with what appears insurmountable adversity (with 3 of the top 5 teams all but GUARANTEED to take a QB), it would seem foolhardy to pay an absurdly exorbitant price for an uncertain quantity. 

Call me a contrarian but With everyone and their mother calling for the Bills to trade up this month, I think we fool them all let the draft to come to us...rather than spew our goo for anything less than what we came for. 

So I say HOLD. If I could photoshop Beane’s head with blue face paint over Mel Gibson’s I would do it. 

In business dealings, you always want to pay, at the very most, a fair and reasonable price. Ideally you want to get the better of your opponent but sometimes you cannot acquire what you want.....everything is not always for sale, but if it is, it may come at an unreasonable price.

I wouldn’t entertain such requests. 

I would make a reasonable offer to whomever at whatever stage, but if it doesn’t work out, I’m not going to mortgage this draft or the next one for the opportunity. 

Take the Jets: they lost the war before the battle has even begun. No matter what happens on draft day they will say ‘he’s the guy we wanted from the beginning, blah blah blah’. I don’t believe that for a second. I’m sure that by moving up too soon, and for too much, if Sun Tzu were an NFL GM he would be licking his chops knowing that Buffalo is next. 

I think Beane is smarter than that. 

I don’t believe he will be a patsy and overpay for an unknown quantity. 

I totally agree and have been preaching this from day 1.  Pay fair value. Don't panic over desperation for a QB.  It could be great to get one, but you do not give 12,21, 2  second rounders AND next year's #1 for a QB that is not even a consensus top 2 in this draft.  Rosen is nice and Allen has huge upside, but you do not pay THAT much for that amount of risk.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Mickey said:

Why be bold? Why be the master of your own destiny? Why reach out and take what is yours when you can sit there and hope others will provide? Don't swing for the fences son, bunt, bunt, bunt! "Take what comes to us" is just about the most miserable life advice I have ever heard unless your only goal in life is to slowly rot from the inside out while toiling away in middle management. Let me guess, your favorite color is beige, your favorite food is a ham sandwich and your idea of a hot night is listening to Mel Torme while doing it with the lights on. 

What's wrong with Mel Torme and doing it with the lights on?  What's next, dissing off Ella Fitzgerald, Blue Skies, and coconut oil?

But seriously, we know QB is going to be overvalued and that previous GMs *cough* Nix *cough* probably got left out when they refused to reach for a QB - only to do just that 1-2 drafts later.  It's really a matter of evaluation.  If the Bills think 1-2 of the guys are worth selling the farm for they should sell.  If they don't, they won't, and those of us who think they should will just have to cope.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

the Jets did fine.  This trade will not break them. If they get Baker and he's their guy for the next 5-7 years and lights it up, no one will worry they gave up 3 2nds.  If they **** the bed and draft the wrong guy, then it's a cluster f'k of epic proportions. I surely hope for the latter.

Truthfully this is the case for any trade up for a QB. After Goff was freed from the millstone that is Jeff Fisher, and after two seasons of Carson Wentz, does anyone think the Rams or Eagles regret the price they paid?