Don’t bet the farm on at the QB roulette table

VTBills

12 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

The Patriots have been filling the Bills hole for 20 years now.

And by God, I say let's make it 20 more! Or what about forever? Lets just keep being the stupidest most cowardly team out there, forever! Taking chances is for winners, and that is not who we are.

I wish I could give this post mulitple laughs!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VTBills said:

There are too many holes on the roster to give three 1st rounders or whatever for one of the top four.   If you swing and miss on one of these flawed prospects you set the franchise back years IMO.  Build both lines, get some LBs, add WR depth and make your bet with 12 or 22 on a Jackson or Rudolph or other 2nd tier QB.   If Beanie swings for the fences and misses on a QB this year his GM tenure will be short.  Better to go for singles and doubles. Build the roster around your QB gamble then swing for the fences when you have the cap space to mitigate a mistake.  

So what you’re saying is do what we’ve done that’s not worked for the past 20 years? 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

What three first rounders you are talking about????  Most packages I see Bills are giving up 12, 22, and a 2019 pick.  Getting back the 2nd OVERALL.  So where is the 3 first rounders again?

And settling at the most important position has worked so well for the Bills

You see what Jets are about to do?????  CUT a second tier QB prospect because they went up to go get a TOP END QB prospect

The only package that matters is the one that actually gets done which could be considerably more expensive than what you suggest if these QB's are of high quality as some seem to suggest here.  It does not matter as to the speculation by some blowhard roid'd talking head says at ESPN or what some clown says on his blog.

There are too many holes on the roster to give three 1st rounders or whatever for one of the top four.   If you swing and miss on one of these flawed prospects you set the franchise back years IMO.  Build both lines, get some LBs, add WR depth and make your bet with 12 or 22 on a Jackson or Rudolph or other 2nd tier QB.   If Beanie swings for the fences and misses on a QB this year his GM tenure will be short.  Better to go for singles and doubles. Build the roster around your QB gamble then swing for the fences when you have the cap space to mitigate a mistake.  

If you miss in a 1st round QB doesn't matter in what spot you take it(see EJ)

55 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol.  If you believe Beane hasn't been looking closely at QB prospects since 5 minutes aft he got here I don't know what to say.

The Colts, knowing the Jets want a QB effectively moved below only the Browns and Broncos.  Two spots for three second round picks.  With the Bills the effective cost would have been 8 spots.  Beat us to the punch lololololololol.  Be realistic.

Never said we shouldn't try.  I'm just realistic about the chances while you're whining illogically.  

This is all part of the self delusion by the trade up at all costs folks as they believe that they are the smartest people out there.

• Like (+1) 1

I wish I had thought of this.

27 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

The Patriots have been filling the Bills hole for 20 years now.

And by God, I say let's make it 20 more! Or what about forever? Lets just keep being the stupidest most cowardly team out there, forever! Taking chances is for winners, and that is not who we are.

And Eric Flowers, Mike Williams (OT), Roscoe Parrish, John McCargo, Donte Whitner, and Aaron Maybin had nothing to do with this?  Peyton Manning could not have won with that supporting cast.  Stop pizzing away high round picks on high ceiling guys who most likely cannot carry the water for the franchise.

58 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Nope telling a person that thinks we should just sit and fill holes that we have tried that for how long and it hasn't worked is whining illogically.  I guess I am not sure what world you like in.  More than enough data points otherwise. 

Is that in English?

I don't get what you are trying to say.

Youre too late.    This hot take has already been dropped by some other hot taker.  

57 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Yeah, there was absolutely no way in the history of NFL trades that we could have made that work for the Colts. :rolleyes: Its only impossible to you because it didn't happen that way.

8>2 and 12>10.

Assuming Beane was simply asleep is a denial of simple math.  

• Like (+1) 1

I love the idea of going for singles and doubles - then leave them stranded.  Great way to win games.  

14 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

And Eric Flowers, Mike Williams (OT), Roscoe Parrish, John McCargo, Donte Whitner, and Aaron Maybin had nothing to do with this?  Peyton Manning could not have won with that supporting cast.  Stop pizzing away high round picks on high ceiling guys who most likely cannot carry the water for the franchise.

That is the point right there.

First round picks are a gamble. People act like only if you pick a QB are you gambling.

If you have to gamble why not gamble on a player who can make a night and day difference?

And it doesn't even have to stop with the busts. None of our first round picks, none of them, not one, has made any difference at all in making us a top notch team.

But you guys who just want to keep doing the same thing the Bills have done for so long that i am literally growing old watching them do it, I just can't wrap my head around that. Sorry but there is just no way.

• Like (+1) 1

I am totally sick of the teeny balled people who post on TBD to say their nonsense about not trading up. MCBeane has positioned the Bill's, very adroitly to have enough picks ,.to move up in a QB rich draft,  We will not be without picks. The price is gong to be high but , do you want a Caddy or a Yugo. I trust Beane to do his due diligence in the selection and price. I have been a Bill's fan for more years than most of you have been breathing. I have seen one franchise QB  from 1960 - 2017., Kelly. Trust The Process.

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

That is the point right there.

First round picks are a gamble. People act like only if you pick a QB are you gambling.

If you have to gamble why not gamble on a player who can make a night and day difference?

And it doesn't even have to stop with the busts. None of our first round picks, none of them, not one, has made any difference at all in making us a top notch team.

But you guys who just want to keep doing the same thing the Bills have done for so long that i am literally growing old watching them do it, I just can't wrap my head around that. Sorry but there is just no way.

First round picks are a gamble?  Not especially.  I'll give you Eric Flowers but not the rest.  Mike Williams had motivation problems that were well known before the draft.  The signs were there to steer clear.  Roscoe Parrish did not have the measurables desired for for a featured receiver,  Again, the signs were there to steer clear.  McCargo?  His back problems were known ahead of the draft and Mangold who was pretty much a plug in and play player was right there with us having a need for him.  Yet again the signs were there to steer clear of McCargo.  And right down the list through Whitner and Maybin.  Had we chosen some what close to wisely the results would have been very different.  So having said that why do you say that I want to do the same failed thing over and over again which is trying to plug square pegs into round holes?   Sometimes the QB has to be the icing on the cake versus the first layer on the bottom.  That approach worked for the Eagles and the Manning lead Broncos to name a couple of teams.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

What three first rounders you are talking about????  Most packages I see Bills are giving up 12, 22, and a 2019 pick.  Getting back the 2nd OVERALL.  So where is the 3 first rounders again?

And settling at the most important position has worked so well for the Bills

You see what Jets are about to do?????  CUT a second tier QB prospect because they went up to go get a TOP END QB prospect

It worked great in the past for us didn’t it ? 

We kept drafting CB’s  you can never have enough of those , RB  I don’t want to even go there , DL ( A Maybin ) and OL ( Mike Williams you can’t miss ! Only the QB position is a crapshoot !!  

while Brady year after year whooping our @$$ winning the division and 5  SB’s , 

Now all we need is for the Jets to get their franchise QB and stick to us ( without K-Y ) 

for another decade , 

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

First round picks are a gamble?  Not especially.  I'll give you Eric Flowers but not the rest.  Mike Williams had motivation problems that were well known before the draft.  The signs were there to steer clear.  Roscoe Parrish did not have the measurables desired for for a featured receiver,  Again, the signs were there to steer clear.  McCargo?  His back problems were known ahead of the draft and Mangold who was pretty much a plug in and play player was right there with us having a need for him.  Yet again the signs were there to steer clear of McCargo.  And right down the list through Whitner and Maybin.  Had we chosen some what close to wisely the results would have been very different.  So having said that why do you say that I want to do the same failed thing over and over again which is trying to plug square pegs into round holes?   Sometimes the QB has to be the icing on the cake versus the first layer on the bottom.  That approach worked for the Eagles and the Manning lead Broncos to name a couple of teams.

Where were the manning lead broncos before manning? Where are they now, after him? Picking 5th overall.

It takes some mental gymnastics to turn that around to mean that it is best to put QB on the back burner.

Anyway I will stop now we will never agree.