Don’t bet the farm on at the QB roulette table

VTBills

There are too many holes on the roster to give three 1st rounders or whatever for one of the top four.   If you swing and miss on one of these flawed prospects you set the franchise back years IMO.  Build both lines, get some LBs, add WR depth and make your bet with 12 or 22 on a Jackson or Rudolph or other 2nd tier QB.   If Beanie swings for the fences and misses on a QB this year his GM tenure will be short.  Better to go for singles and doubles. Build the roster around your QB gamble then swing for the fences when you have the cap space to mitigate a mistake.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

What three first rounders you are talking about????  Most packages I see Bills are giving up 12, 22, and a 2019 pick.  Getting back the 2nd OVERALL.  So where is the 3 first rounders again?

And settling at the most important position has worked so well for the Bills

You see what Jets are about to do?????  CUT a second tier QB prospect because they went up to go get a TOP END QB prospect

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, VTBills said:

I don’t know what it will take but it won’t be cheap.  Maybe I’m wrong and Beane can negotiate to have it both ways. 

Good who cares if it wont be cheap.

If you hit the MOST important Position is SET for 15 years and NEVER have to look at that position for at least 10 drafts.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, VTBills said:

There are too many holes on the roster to give three 1st rounders or whatever for one of the top four.   If you swing and miss on one of these flawed prospects you set the franchise back years IMO.  Build both lines, get some LBs, add WR depth and make your bet with 12 or 22 on a Jackson or Rudolph or other 2nd tier QB.   If Beanie swings for the fences and misses on a QB this year his GM tenure will be short.  Better to go for singles and doubles. Build the roster around your QB gamble then swing for the fences when you have the cap space to mitigate a mistake.  

There has to be 10,435,981 other threads discussing this exact topic.  Why do you feel the need to beat a dead horse?  

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

What three first rounders you are talking about????  Most packages I see Bills are giving up 12, 22, and a 2019 pick.  Getting back the 2nd OVERALL.  So where is the 3 first rounders again?

And settling at the most important position has worked so well for the Bills

You see what Jets are about to do?????  CUT a second tier QB prospect because they went up to go get a TOP END QB prospect

The last time the Jests had a bonafide franchise QB was Lyndon Johnson was POTUS and I was in HS.  By all means, the Jests should be a team that the Bills choose to emulate.  NOT.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

The last time the Jests had a bonafide franchise QB was Lyndon Johnson was POTUS and I was in HS.  By all means, the Jests should be a team that the Bills choose to emulate.  NOT.

OK shall we continue.  Chiefs

Rams went away from a second Tier Prospect to and traded up for Goff.

5 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

There has to be 10,435,981 other threads discussing this exact topic.  Why do you feel the need to beat a dead horse?  

Speak for yourself.  I want to find ou how many ways there are to say "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I want a QB, Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Speak for yourself.  I want to find ou how many ways there are to say "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I want a QB, Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".

I want to find out how many more ways the risk adverse crew wants to take lesser prospects.

They forget the quality over quantity.

10 minutes ago, VTBills said:

Ordinarily, I would agree, but we have plenty of draft assets to build even with giving up 12, 22, and next year's 1st.  We still have a great deal to work with.  I was happy to break the playoff drought.  Now we must break the lack of stability at QB drought.  I believe in price points but you have to extend a little.  I've seen great Ravens teams like the 2006 team.  The defense was insane, but guess what?  They discovered that the SB year with Dilfer was an anomaly.  They searched for immediate upgrades, Grbac, then they went to the draft with Boller, then Anthony Wright because Boller was not getting it done, all the while, they had great defenses, strong rushing attacks but guess what, no matter how hard their defense played to keep them in games, because they had no stability at QB this is what ultimately lost all of those great defenses games.  You have to have stability at QB.  And in this era you are going to have to pay for that stability if you want to win.  They made the playoffs but they couldn't win against Big Ben, Manning, Brady.  Then some Flacco kid comes along and manages games for them and they stay in the playoff hunt until they win it.  Now even they are looking for a QB because they overpaid the one they had.  But it's not like they had a choice.  The team would rather have a QB then to land in QB limbo.  Limbo is where the Browns have been for 22 years.

Get the best QB you can get even if you have to overpay a little bit.  Just get this over with and get it out of the way.  I don't believe in overpaying to where you can't do things later but we will be in good shape in other areas later.  Get the QB.  Do things right the first time, even if it hurts a little bit.  Do it right the first time so you won't have to keep doing it.  At least that's the hope.  LOL

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

God created free agency to fill holes. Stop hitting dribblers up the middle for base hits and jack one out of the yard.

Just don't pick Allen!

I'll be honest, I don't think you build a team through FA.  You build through the draft.  That's just my approach.  But to be clear, I disagree with the OP.  Get the QB and get it out of the way if you can.

18 minutes ago, VTBills said:

If you are too afraid to swing at the ball you will never hit it.  If you are not going up to the plate to swing the bat then stay on the bench and spit out your pumpkin seeds. What's worse then failing is not trying. 

• Like (+1) 1