YoloinOhio

Bills going to LA to visit and workout Sam Darnold

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The perspective on this from Browns media is that this is smart of the Bills to try to flush out the Browns pick before trading to 2. The reasoning is that it’s very late in the #process for a full blown workout. They want to make sure the Browns take him at 1 so the Giants guy is gone and their trade goes through.  The Browns can try to stop the workout by giving Darnold a confidential promise that he’s going 1 and not to risk injury by working out for the Bills. Then the Bills know he’s the first pick and can know 2 is viable.

thoughts?

Beane could also play the Browns if he knows they value both 12 and 22.  If they want him to trade to 4, he can hold out 22 and still beat any offer.  For the last week or so I've felt the "needing to trade up to trade up again" was vastly overrated, the Giants could really use a massive influx of cheap young talent across the roster and the Browns need a couple key positions that lack value at 4 and fall outside of their picks in the 2nd round.  If the Browns really do have Darnold and Allen equal, I could certainly see them put #1 on the table to get the massive haul.

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I understand the idea of the play being projectable - but really, isn't that the entire NFL draft process? Nobody wants a 5'7" player out of NCAA. it just doesn't matter.

But the idea of a player with basically three years of experience in total in his background getting his experience against LeBeau and Belichek? And it's more than that. It's literally his decision making process, what is going through his head. Now we are going to send that decision making process through the stratosphere in terms of speed and you are asking him to learn on the job. I realize the flaws in the comparison but Josh Rosen probably threw more passes in high school than Darnold has in his entire career. 

Can it be done? It gets back to the initial point of projectability. I make the point frequently about muscle memory and that last 1/8 second between your eye/mind/motion. Sam Darnold is going to literally build those synapses in the NFL and perhaps even more risk than Josh Allen. Hey I'm guessing, I get it.

There would have been two components that would have tempered my thought - that Darnold improved dramatically in his second season, and that he already was advanced in his decision making. Instead he regressed somewhat and when his decision making has been there, it's been because of ability and not the decision itself. 

Armchair gm here, admittedly. 

Cheers,
Alex

Absolutely. Sam needs probably two years on the bench, but that probably won't happen. If he goes to the Browns and starts right away, I think he will bust. I think they will be smart about it, the way Hue Jackson and company kept Carson Palmer off the field a few years back. Pretty much no matter what, they did not let him start for that entire year. With Tyrod Taylor and Drew Stanton, they can keep Darnold on the bench. Will they have the patience and focus to do that? Who knows, but scouts see an underdeveloped Andrew Luck .

I do think it makes sense for him to be in the NFL developing under Hue and Todd Haley rather than back at USC developing with Tee Martin and Clay Helton's son. 

To me, there are two quarterbacks who can start right away in the NFL and those are Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen. That doesn't mean that they can start and be good, but they are the most NFL ready. I don't love Mayfield, but I could see a team altering their offense for him like Bill O'Brien did for Watson and him having success early. But this is what happened with RG3 and Kaepernick. They lit the world on fire running college plays, and then when they were asked to do NFL quarterback things, they were terrible. That's what I foresee for Watson, and probably Mayfield as well. Early success and then flame out. Teams are going to blitz his balls off. To me , Rosen is the one with the best combination of physical traits, arm talent, football IQ, and projectability. But I would not be upset with any of Darnold, Rosen, Allen, or Mayfield. 

• Like 1

Cant see the Bills getting to 2 from 12. Also cant see them moving from 12 to 5,6, or 7 and have any draft capitol left to trade. Darnold, Rosen is a pipe dream.

Broncos are in better position to move up since they are already top 5.

On 4/9/2018 at 7:21 PM, billspro said:

How awesome would it be for the Bills to have the Browns and the Giants bidding to trade down. There is no doubt an elite player will fall to 12 with all the QBs being drafted.

Now they are also saying that they don’t think Darnold’s agent would let him work out for a team picking out of the top 10....they think it’s because the Bills have a plan to get in the top 5, and informed Darnold’s camp.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Now they are also saying that they don’t think Darnold’s agent would let him work out for a team picking out of the top 10....they think it’s because the Bills have a plan to get in the top 5, and informed Darnold’s camp.

edge-wwe.gif

• Haha 3

los-angeles-postcard.jpg

Big day today in the city of angels. The Buffalo bills are on the west coast! Decisions to be made...

Ok honest question..why would the Bills fly out to California to go work Darnold out? He is visiting the Jets and Giants over the next couple of days and could have easily visited Buffalo as well. I just find it interesting that they flew all the way out there for him. 

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ok honest question..why would the Bills fly out to California to go work Darnold out? He is visiting the Jets and Giants over the next couple of days and could have easily visited Buffalo as well. I just find it interesting that they flew all the way out there for him. 

Because they pick 12. His agent probably said if you want to work him out you have to come to us, he's a busy boy and you probably don't have a chance to get him anyways

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

Because they pick 12. His agent probably said if you want to work him out you have to come to us, he's a busy boy and you probably don't have a chance to get him anyways

I buy this to an extent.. But how many visits has he actually had? Especially since u say bc we have pick 12.. Don't u think his agent would tell anyone outside the top 5 the same thing if that's true? 

(Now I got myself curious, to see how many visits he has been on lol)

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

You can't fly a player in AND work them out. Against the rules. The Bills had to fly to Darnold if they wanted to work him out, watch him throw etc. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

You can't fly a player in AND work them out. Against the rules. The Bills had to fly to Darnold if they wanted to work him out, watch him throw etc. 

I did not know this, if true, good info Boat!!

14 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

But again, when guys come to buffalo they dont work out. Only physical 

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

That is also true. Good point. The visit is for meeting people and physical. No workout

5 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

I did not know this, if true, good info Boat!!

The team will get a little more leeway if a player being brought in attends a college in their local area, but still pretty strict. Just interviews and written tests for players brought in to visit teams. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

21 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I buy this to an extent.. But how many visits has he actually had? Especially since u say bc we have pick 12.. Don't u think his agent would tell anyone outside the top 5 the same thing if that's true? 

(Now I got myself curious, to see how many visits he has been on lol)

I actually just looked into it. And you might be on to something. All I could find for his pre-draft visits is cle, nyj and nyg.. nice call diggz!

Edited by Bills4life1924

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The team will get a little more leeway if a player being brought in attends a college in their local area, but still pretty strict. Just interviews and written tests for players brought in to visit teams. 

And Medicals 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

So basically they went to California to work him out, but have not brought him in for a visit?

BTW I appreciate the responses guys. That just stuck out to me. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown