Love that it appears we have a strategy...

I think it is human nature or maybe just the nature of message board posters. But the current regime always has a plan, is doing things right, etc. We make excuses for them and say be patient. We blame past regimes that we used to say the same things about. Once they are gone they sucked and we are lucky to be rid of them. The new regime has to fix all of their mistakes.

Nix inherited a mess and was incredible. Then he sucked and Whaley had to clean up his mess because he actually sucked. Then Whaley was a god and was just stuck with bad coaches. Now Whaley was horrendous just look at all the players he brought in. The new guys have to get rid of them all because he was so bad. It was Ralph''s fault. No it was all Russ Brandon. Overdorf is the one. On and on. Cycle repeat. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, RobH063 said:

Of Course there was a plan in place.

Man I laugh my butt off every time I watch that. I do agree though that the current vision does appear to be encouraging. I think this group works their butt off & has a common vision, is not afraid to make bold moves & has corrected some of our past scouting in efficiencies, I hope.

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I was never confident Whaley had a plan.  He was selling tickets. 

Ha ha, you don’t actually believe that do you?!? Do you think that the GM of an NFL team is sitting with his scouting staff and trying to figure out which avenue will best sell tickets?!? You think that’s what was happening?? I don’t believe that anyone could possibly believe that to be the case. It’s beyond absurd.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, you don’t actually believe that do you?!? Do you think that the GM of an NFL team is sitting with his scouting staff and trying to figure out which avenue will best sell tickets?!? You think that’s what was happening?? I don’t believe that anyone could possibly believe that to be the case. It’s beyond absurd.

That was Russ Brandon job.

Whaley was good at some things and not good at others. Especially not good at building a full roster. Better suited for scouting role. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I always find it funny that people assume that there wasn’t a plan before. They were just spitting in the wind. That’s just ridiculous. You may not have liked the plan but obviously there was a strategy in place. 

Whaley certainly had a plan.. just missed on his qb

And a lot of other guys

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I always find it funny that people assume that there wasn’t a plan before. They were just spitting in the wind. That’s just ridiculous. You may not have liked the plan but obviously there was a strategy in place. 

^^^ This 100%.  I'm sick of hearing about the Beane/McD "process".

Was his plan to just keep overpaying free agents until we couldn't field a 53 man roster due to cap issues because if it was he was well on his way.  :)

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

His plan sucked.  Is that better?

We had no depth.  No qb.  No cap room.  Mo coach.  No playoffs.  But we had an overpriced DT, an overpriced TE and a WR who we bet the farm on that was 4th best (maybe worse) from his class. So if that's a plan sure...of course he had a plan.  I'm which case he was terrible at execution.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

How many of Whaleys draft picks remain on the roster?

How many of Whaley's draft picks are productive NFL players? 

Answer: a lot.

(not Whaley's fault McBean wanted to purge most traces of former regime)

The strategy:

1. Drain the roster of talent.
  2. Try to fill the holes with third string free agents and rookies
  3. Pray that every player you draft can start. 
  4. Depend on the fans to drink the kool-aid.

Edited by Dr. K

22 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Kouandjio? Richardson? Miller? Karlos Williams? Steward? Washington? Cardale? 

All not scheme fits or just a lot of misses beyond his first picks?

Was sammy not a scheme fir either?

Washington is still here. Karlos had a great rookie year talent wise he was a steal. Miller plays great in the proper scheme.  We trade Cardale for a pick.  Maybe you feel 5th round picks are supposed to be Hall of Fame bound.  

Sammy was going to be very expensive.

14 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Watkins, Darby and Preston Brown...

more draftees and also those he acquired.

gone: M Goodwin, Kevon Seymour, N Bradham, S Gilmore, Alan Branch, Nickel Robey-Coleman, R Woods, C Glenn,
still here: D Dawkins, L McCoy, J Poyer, Micah Hyde, R Incognito, Hauschka, C Clay,  M Milano, 

gone: Tyrod Taylor, Chris Hogan, Zach Brown, M Gillislee, Corey Graham, Leon Searcy, Ross Cockrell, Karlos Williams,

Whaley assembled a playoff team of talent. Of course it was mismatched as he was always drafting for a different D and O every two years. Not his fault.

8 former Whaley Bills played in last Super Bowl. EIGHT! That is not a misprint. And many more played in playoffs.

Edited by cba fan

On 4/9/2018 at 11:45 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I’m intrigued by the silence from OBD. It’s the kind of silence that takes place when you haven’t seen your toddler in awhile and he is in another area of the house and you’re thinking wow, he’s being really quiet, must just be doing a puzzle or something. Wait a minute... :huh:

The struggle is real!!!!!

2 hours ago, cba fan said:

more draftees and also those he acquired.

gone: M Goodwin, Kevon Seymour, N Bradham, S Gilmore, Alan Branch, Nickel Robey-Coleman, R Woods, C Glenn,
still here: D Dawkins, L McCoy, J Poyer, Micah Hyde, R Incognito, Hauschka, C Clay,  M Milano, 

gone: Tyrod Taylor, Chris Hogan, Zach Brown, M Gillislee, Corey Graham, Leon Searcy, Ross Cockrell, Karlos Williams,

Whaley assembled a playoff team of talent. Of course it was mismatched as he was always drafting for a different D and O every two years. Not his fault.

8 former Whaley Bills played in last Super Bowl. EIGHT! That is not a misprint. And many more played in playoffs.

This

• Like (+1) 1