Love that it appears we have a strategy...

After a few years of Whaley...i gotta admit it finally feels like we have a plan. 

The maneuvering of the salary cap and dead cap.  The accumulation of draft picks and now even the pre draft visits seem structured.  

We have a plan (likely to trade up) but if that doesn't work we have the back up plan  (roquan Smith, Rudolph, first round WRs etc)...if we don't find a partner for trade up or price is too high we flip the switch and go a different direction.  

So refreshing.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

After a few years of Whaley...i gotta admit it finally feels like we have a plan. 

The maneuvering of the salary cap and dead cap.  The accumulation of draft picks and now even the pre draft visits seem structured.  

We have a plan (likely to trade up) but if that doesn't work we have the back up plan  (roquan Smith, Rudolph, first round WRs etc)...if we don't find a partner for trade up or price is too high we flip the switch and go a different direction.  

So refreshing.   

Yeah, we have a great front office. I am interested to see how their plan turns out. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Pegulas forcing/swapping HC's on Whaley was a miss fire. 3-4 D 4-3 swap out personel needed for different coaching styles really messed us up

I have to put as much blame on the Pegula's as Whaley.

so yes it is nice to see some continuity up top, and hopefully the Pegula's learned some lessons.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m intrigued by the silence from OBD. It’s the kind of silence that takes place when you haven’t seen your toddler in awhile and he is in another area of the house and you’re thinking wow, he’s being really quiet, must just be doing a puzzle or something. Wait a minute... :huh:

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m intrigued by the silence from OBD. It’s the kind of silence that takes place when you haven’t seen your toddler in awhile and he is in another area of the house and you’re thinking wow, he’s being really quiet, must just be doing a puzzle or something. Wait a minute... :huh:

We have QB's in town visiting over the next couple of days. The next step will be predicated on how those visits go

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

So refreshing.   

Whaley had a plan too. It might not have been the right one, but there is no way he would have kept that job that long if he was just wondering around aimlessly. 

Please keep in mind that Beane has yet to build any part of the roster significantly. 

Hes sold off a bunch of talent, thus far.

Mccarron and k Benjamin are his centerpiece acquisitions. Neither have proven much in a bills jersey and may not even be better than what they replaced...

this draft is his first real test 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

So refreshing.   

This is exactly how I feel as well, we also have a HC that really knows how to coach. McD knows what players will fit his system and they seem to become better players while they are here. Very excited to see what happens with this draft.

7 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

We have QB's in town visiting over the next couple of days. The next step will be predicated on how those visits go

Agree - interesting that they have only scheduled Rosen, Mayfield and Rudolph so far? It’s getting late early. Unless it just hadn’t hit the media (and not sure why it wouldn’t since we heard about their other visits), they really only have 1 more week, the week of 4/16,  to bring in the other “round 1” QBs Darnold, Allen and Lamar. . They aren’t going to be doing visits the week of the draft. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I always find it funny that people assume that there wasn’t a plan before. They were just spitting in the wind. That’s just ridiculous. You may not have liked the plan but obviously there was a strategy in place. 

Of course there was a plan, but it wasn't well-thought out and not nearly as detailed nor with as much as vision than that of the current regime.

Edited by Magox
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

The Pegulas forcing/swapping HC's on Whaley was a miss fire. 3-4 D 4-3 swap out personel needed for different coaching styles really messed us up

so yes it is nice to see some continuity up top, and hopefully the Pegula's learned some lessons.

How many of Whaleys draft picks remain on the roster?

19 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Part of the job of a good GM is to successfully SELL his vision and his plan so that he can have the confidence of ownership to run the ship and put in place his guys.  Whaley, clearly did not do that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I always find it funny that people assume that there wasn’t a plan before. They were just spitting in the wind. That’s just ridiculous. You may not have liked the plan but obviously there was a strategy in place. 

This, in a nutshell, is how I feel about the subject.  People applaud the plan, when basically, the plan fits the narrative of what they would like to see happen (trade up to get a QB; use draft capital to fill holes in the starting lineup; etc.).  The simple fact of the matter here is that we don't know what the plan is.  We don't even know what the plan was before.  We don't know if there was any more thought or effort put into this front office's "plan" versus Whaley's.  It's all simply idle speculation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Luxy312 said:

This, in a nutshell, is how I feel about the subject.  People applaud the plan, when basically, the plan fits the narrative of what they would like to see happen (trade up to get a QB; use draft capital to fill holes in the starting lineup; etc.).  The simple fact of the matter here is that we don't know what the plan is.  We don't even know what the plan was before.  We don't know if there was any more thought or effort put into this front office's "plan" versus Whaley's.  It's all simply idle speculation.

Thats why the OP said "appearance of a plan." The difference here is that the strategy is clear base on the moves...whereas before there was no discernible plan. I have no idea if thats good or bad. This way, most of our cards are on the table. But regardless, it's very apparent that they are following a certain path now. 

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Considering the "plan" started when Whaley was still here, he should get some of the credit. At least the same amount he gets for "drafting EJ" even though Buddy was officially GM.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes Salary and draft pick wise we have things under control.  Will have some major free agent spending money available next off season.

Still, as much as I like Beane's moves, I wonder how we would have done against Jacksonville if we still had Sammy on our team.   Considering all we had to score was 11 points to win our first playoff game, I'd say Beane probably made a mistake dumping Sammy for EJ Gaines and a 2nd rounder this year.    Tyrod's best target who he had years of chemistry with, conspicuously absent on a day when we desperately needed a big play or two through the air.

Who knows, Sammy may not have been healthy, and Gaines did play well for us in half of our games this season--we still have that draft pick.   I think it would have been a different game with Watkins, and I'm sure McD was wondering the same thing at the end of the game when the scoreboard showed our whopping 3 points.   My point is, it's great to clean house, but sometimes dumping good players can hurt you, especially if you go further than you thought you would and find yourself in a post season matchup and lay an egg.

But we'll never know, and now we have the pick to show for it, so let's turn the page (wiping tears off my sammy jersey)

1 minute ago, Magox said:

Of course there was a plan, but it wasn't a well-thought out and not nearly as detailed nor with as much as vision than that the current regime.

That’s in hindsight and probably not fair either. It was different. McBeane came in and tried to hit the reset button. They won earlier than they expected. They didn’t stray from the plan.

The last regime thought that they were closer to a title than they were. They tried to build a team that could run the ball, take care of the ball and play defense. They tried to retain player that they thought would help that (Glenn extension), bring in guys to do that (Shady, Incognito, Zach Brown, etc..). They just missed on the EJ and that sets you back.  

Again, I assure you that every regime, in every sport has a plan. It’s always easy to tear down; it is a matter of “can you build it back up?” So far Beane has done the exact same thing that Tim Murray did at the beginning (and everyone loved him at the time). Murray turned out to be a nightmare. 

The Bills have positioned themselves to be different. If they hit on the QB this rebuild will likely look good. If they get the wrong guy they will be back looking for jobs in 2 years and we will wax poetically about how great the new guys are. We will talk about what an improvement they are, wash, rinse, repeat. 

• Like (+1) 2