2018 NHL Playoffs

Mark Vader

16 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Excited about the playoffs! It’s insane how every series is so hard. Let the grind begin! 

It's a war! It really is a shame the regular season play can't reflect the true nature of the game in the playoffs

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

oof....

this season....

4th place was always never gonna catch 3rd in the division since Hallowe'en

Just having fun with you. 

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

My interest lies with almost all the Western Conference teams as I love the way they play hockey out there, especially in the playoffs.

BUT....will watch closely Boston vs. Toronto and Philly vs. Pittsburgh.

I can only pray the Philly vs. Pitt series turns into another war like those two teams had in the first round a few years ago...hockey became secondary and it was on the of the most entertaining playoff series in recent memory.

Boston vs Toronto is going to a fun watch. 

Virtually every matchup in the west is going to be competitive. I honestly don't think there is anything close to a prohibitive favorite. The only one I would be surprised to see the underdog win is the Av's over the Preds. 

I think I'm going to game 4 Ducks/Sharks

8 minutes ago, Dante said:

It's a war! It really is a shame the regular season play can't reflect the true nature of the game in the playoffs

Just having fun with you. 

Boston vs Toronto is going to a fun watch. 

Virtually every matchup in the west is going to be competitive. I honestly don't think there is anything close to a prohibitive favorite. The only one I would be surprised to see the underdog win is the Av's over the Preds. 

I think I'm going to game 4 Ducks/Sharks

I hope you make it to the game b/c the atmosphere at a big time playoff game is positively electric.  

As you said, the gap between P/O action and a typical regular season game is just huge.  For me, it's a huge problem of the NHL, though they don't seem too concerned about it.

The regular season is probably twice as long as it should be, but good luck eliminating half the games and half the revenues. 

I would also love to somehow see an organized, consistent schedule around the league, with like 2 or 3 games, tops, being played per week on coordinated days.  Get rid of this "3 games in 4 nights" crap or "back to backs" or "hasn't played in a week vs. team coming back from grueling west coast road trip" stuff.

A ton of NHL regular season games are over before they start, b/c one team simply can't compete at the level of the other team, due purely to disparate scheduling.

This season seemed the craziest to me as far as scheduling goes. It seemed like right after the Christmas break, they had the mandatory 5 game off break. Then the All-Star break. That really wreaked havoc on the sked. I know the Sharks had lots of 3 games in 4 nights. 4 games in 6 etc. Impossible to ask athletes to perform at %100 when the sport is so physical. I know they are pros and all that but no matter how much they get paid they couldn't do it.

If they could cut out 15 games out of the schedule it would make a big difference. Not like that is going to happen though.

Edited by Dante
grammer correction

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

Rough rule of thumb is if you aren't in playoff contention / position by Thanksgiving (US version), you prolly aren't going to make it.

5 points out by October 31 was the original one, but it can be extended to US Thanks to make people feel better...

I'm not going to attempt # of games in each series. Just picking winners in the NHL playoffs is tough enough.

Tampa Bay over New Jersey.  I think the Devils are pretty good, but not good enough.

Columbus over the Capitals.

Bruins over the Maple Leafs. This one will be fun to watch. Can't pick Toronto until after they've won a series.

Penguins over the Flyers because the Penguins know what it takes at this point.

Nashville over Colorado.  Nashville is pretty good and Colorado isn't in their class.

Minnesota over Winnipeg (same reason as for the Leafs), though I can easily see the Jets winning this series and another.

Kings over the Golden Knights.  Vegas' magic ends in the first round.

Sharks over Ducks.

38 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Hopefully the Leafs and Raptors can give us a few rounds of playoff action...

Just got 3 tix, row 20 center ice for game 4 in San Jose. Damn, try doing that in Toronto without it costing you 2-3K

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know the Western conference as well as the East, so just a hunch

Nashville chokes

Feel good Vegas story doesn't last

Winnipeg or San Jose makes a run

Round 1 in the East

Pittsburgh over Philly

Washington over Columbus

Setting up another Round 2 match up

Pens-Caps-pic.jpg?fit=450,450&ssl=1

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Dante said:

Just got 3 tix, row 20 center ice for game 4 in San Jose. Damn, try doing that in Toronto without it costing you 2-3K

Very nice

awhile back I was offered a pair front row centre ice for a game 7 at Toronto at face value of $750 each.  I turned it down.  The seats were held by a partner at my accounting firm and one of the top NHL agents.

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Damn sorry Mark. All three are spoken for :(

No problem. However, if anything else comes up for future games, let me know. :thumbsup:

Have fun. Sharks playoff games at the Tank are the best. Although, I was at last year's game when they got eliminated by the Oilers. That really stung. I still don't know how Pavelski's shot on that power play didn't go in. What a difference a year makes for the Oilers, what happened to them?

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Very nice

awhile back I was offered a pair front row centre ice for a game 7 at Toronto at face value of $750 each.  I turned it down.  The seats were held by a partner at my accounting firm and one of the top NHL agents.

Hard to justify that kind of cash on any ticket. I imagine they would be a lot more this year.

22 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

No problem. However, if anything else comes up for future games, let me know. :thumbsup:

Have fun. Sharks playoff games at the Tank are the best. Although, I was at last year's game when they got eliminated by the Oilers. That really stung. I still don't know how Pavelski's shot on that power play didn't go in. What a difference a year makes for the Oilers, what happened to them?

That would be good!:thumbsup:

I can't believe the Oilers. But they do a lot of things I don't believe. Like trading away Hall for Larson??? I went to a Sharks/Oilers game this year and that guy was a healthy scratch! They also got rid of Eberle. Puzzling shite the Oilers have done over the years.

25 minutes ago, Dante said:

Hard to justify that kind of cash on any ticket. I imagine they would be a lot more this year.

That would be good!:thumbsup:

I can't believe the Oilers. But they do a lot of things I don't believe. Like trading away Hall for Larson??? I went to a Sharks/Oilers game this year and that guy was a healthy scratch! They also got rid of Eberle. Puzzling shite the Oilers have done over the years.

Peter Chiarelli lol

Dante, he said I had first call and I asked what discount was forthcoming and it was zippo

i politely declined.

He was good to me, gave me for free a pair of Jays tickets third row behind the screen st home plate a few times a week for a lot of bad Jays years.  I’d go for the first hour and leave if it wasn’t  a good pitching effort.  Clemens would get calls three inches off the plate and no batter would complain.

Edited by row_33