New Alliance of American Football League eliminates kickoffs

I think starting at the 35 is overly generous.I'd start them at the 20 or 25. I guess they figure more points equals more fans. Personally, I'm tired of seeing all these 30 or 40 point games. Stop flagging DB's for contact 5+ yards downfield when the QB still has the ball. Let them play defense instead of just being spectators.

2 hours ago, KW95 said:

Could we not keep the kickoff for start of game and start of half and eliminate after Td's and field goals?

I'd like to see the PAT changed too. They could put a 2nd set of uprights just behind the 1st set and closer together. That way you still have the optionof faking the kick for 2. I also think the scoop and score for only 2 pts on PAT's is bogus as well.

13 hours ago, The Drought said:

Seems pretty gimmicky to me. Like an off-season scrimmage. 

The worst gimmick ever is the college football overtime system. And it considers a TD during this farce as counting the same in stats as one in regulation.

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah, I mean why would the league want to put player safety ahead of drunk guys and casual fantasy football fans wanting to see players get manhandled all game long?  Players increasingly don't want to end up like the guys from the '70s and '80s did---with debilitating injuries, with deteriorating brain functions, with memory loss, with extreme quality of life issues.

Pretty sure the real world consequences are more important than drunk guys complaining the game is "soft" as they sit on their couch with their beer bellies hanging over the edge having not set foot in a gym or done any type of exercise other than lift a piece of pizza into their mouths in the last 10 years...pretty sure many of their wives would make the same statement about them being "soft"...

It isn't about differentiating themselves, its a player safety issue.  But perhaps they are going to try out proposed NFL rule changes and see how they pan out with the NFL watching...might be smart, NFL might want to use them for testing out rule changes and create a long term partnership with them...

What a bizarre post.  I’m sure it made sense in your head as you typed it out...

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Referring to NFL kickoffs as an exciting play is already in the past tense. Touchbacks are already the norm, the wedge was eliminated and if that wasn't enough they now spot receiving teams the 25 yard line. It's amazing anyone attempts to return kicks as it is. The play is on its last legs in the NFL, existing only because they can't come up with a workaround for the onside kick. They feel it's the most dangerous play in football and have taken just about every step to eliminate returned kicks altogether. At one time though, the kickoff was an exciting play and guys like white shoes Johnson and Mel Gray were in the NFL because of it. 

Exactly.

Question: What was the Bills' longest kickoff return in 2017?

Answer: 29 yards.

Question 2: How many kickoffs did the Super Bowl champs return in all of 2017?

Answer 2: 18. Just about one per game.

I'm not sure I like the "AAF" solution to the onside kick, but they're barking up the right tree here ... you'll want to eliminate kickoffs but preserve some substitute for the onside kick that is roughly as likely to succeed, with the kicking team taking over at roughly the same spot on the field.

I prefer to see an NFL kick off.  However, I do understand there is a stat somwhere that says something like injuries are 5 or 6 times more likely on that play than any other regular play. (that makes sense...lots of guys running full speed and colliding)  So, my thoughts on this.

I understand that there are way fewer returns now since they have moved the ball up and most kicks sail deep into, or through the end zone.  A kicking team still has the option to onside kick, squib kick, kick short on purpose daring the other team to try a return, etc.  On the flip side....you may be down a score late in a game and instead of kneeling at the back of the end zone, you may opt to bring that out hoping for a great return.  LEAVE THE OPTION to the teams how they want to handle kicking and returning kicks.  The onside kick is a an exciting play, the return is an exciting play.  the term "Kickoff" is specific to this sport and is a transcendant term...we have "kickoffs" for all sorts of things besides football.  

2nd point.  NFL football is enjoyable because we are watching modern day gladiators.  We marvel at the size, speed, toughness, and strategy of the game...and by it's nature, as has been mentioned, is dangerous.  Instead of having all these changes to rules etc....keep improving the helmets etc...that's great...but have every NFL contract contain a clause in it about how the sport is dangerous and perhaps remind the players that while they are playing a dangerous sport and many of them may suffer later in life, they can make a ton of money to take those risks.  I don't play NFL football because I am short and slow and fat.  But if I could run a 4.2 and throw a ball 70 yards etc...and someone offered me life changing money....there is a 99.9 percent chance I will accept those risks and play football. I would suppose 99 percdent of those playing now would continue to as well.

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

I prefer to see an NFL kick off.  However, I do understand there is a stat somwhere that says something like injuries are 5 or 6 times more likely on that play than any other regular play. (that makes sense...lots of guys running full speed and colliding)  So, my thoughts on this.

I understand that there are way fewer returns now since they have moved the ball up and most kicks sail deep into, or through the end zone.  A kicking team still has the option to onside kick, squib kick, kick short on purpose daring the other team to try a return, etc.  On the flip side....you may be down a score late in a game and instead of kneeling at the back of the end zone, you may opt to bring that out hoping for a great return.  LEAVE THE OPTION to the teams how they want to handle kicking and returning kicks.  The onside kick is a an exciting play, the return is an exciting play.  the term "Kickoff" is specific to this sport and is a transcendant term...we have "kickoffs" for all sorts of things besides football.  

2nd point.  NFL football is enjoyable because we are watching modern day gladiators.  We marvel at the size, speed, toughness, and strategy of the game...and by it's nature, as has been mentioned, is dangerous.  Instead of having all these changes to rules etc....keep improving the helmets etc...that's great...but have every NFL contract contain a clause in it about how the sport is dangerous and perhaps remind the players that while they are playing a dangerous sport and many of them may suffer later in life, they can make a ton of money to take those risks.  I don't play NFL football because I am short and slow and fat.  But if I could run a 4.2 and throw a ball 70 yards etc...and someone offered me life changing money....there is a 99.9 percent chance I will accept those risks and play football. I would suppose 99 percdent of those playing now would continue to as well.

It's because clauses like this rarely hold up in court. Also, why would players ever allow things like that to be agreed upon in a CBA. You can sign all the agreements you want, but if you are readily proven criminally negligent those agreements will not matter. Waivers don't solve everything and shouldn't. That thinking is just out of touch with reality.

by your line of thinking then, anyone who pays someone to play football is now criminally negligent.  Clearly it's a dangerous game, but people will watch it and those who participate at the highest level can make a lot of money.  This isn't as hard as it's made out to be.  Everyone can agree it's dangerous and there are risks.  The NFL should just agree to part with some cash and set up a pension/care fund for dudes because chances are they will need it later on...separate from the fat paychecks.  Then we can get back to watching big fast dudes smash each other and run fast.  

20 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Teams will get ball at their own 35. For onside kicks they will face a 4th and 10 at their own 35. If they convert they get to keep the ball if not the other team gets it.

IMO, a team has much better odds of converting a 4th and 10 than recovering an onside kick...I would like to have seen it be like 4th and 15 or whatever the equivalent conversion rate would be for that distance.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/league-without-kickoffs-nfl-watch-085216538.html

This League may end up being a farm system for the NFL.