Two Prospects Have Sustained Serious Injury During Private Team Workouts

I hope they have insurance policies, and not just health insurance.  I can see where those expected to be drafted high would be very likely to get insurance, but it wouldn't shock me to learn that a lot of day three picks and their agents overlook that risk in the pre-draft process.

3 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I knew a girl who was killed in a car accident while driving to a job interview. She lost everything and the potential employer just moved on to the next candidate.

I'm not sure whether this is a bad joke, an actual story, or a terrible analogy. But Ok... It makes sense in your head, probably not in many others though.

THAT sucks. It’s horrible especially since there is so little value in it. They have years of film playing the actual game of football. Many have done the combine, and pro days, plus some individuals workouts. The film playing the game is what you need to see. The interviews are in second place. The rest leads to this crap.....

3 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I knew a girl who was killed in a car accident while driving to a job interview. She lost everything and the potential employer just moved on to the next candidate.

What did her family and loved ones do? 

16 hours ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

That’s why I said once the season is over I’m done. I’m Not doing any of it including the combine. If your a marginal 1st/2nd rounder how much further are you really going to drop by not doing these useless workouts. But on the flip side you blow out a knee and drop 3 to 4 rounds or worse. Risk is not worth the reward of moving up some spots. Skip it boys. 

It's not about moving down if you don't go to the workouts, it's about possibly moving up.  And the risk of a devastating injury during such a workout is exceedingly low, obviously.  They aren't being asked to do anything dangerous or unusual. It's easy for these guys and their agents to do the math on this risk/benefit equation. 

15 hours ago, Mickey said:

Skip the NCAA? I'm sorry but I don't think that is remotely comparable to attending needless private workouts. The athletes have medical coverage, free tuition, free room and board, not to mention an education and a chance at a professional career. I do think that its a borderline criminal that the athletes get so little of the mountains of cash they create but that is a problem for another day.

I don't think they are really "free" to refuse since the expectation and tradition is that they will participate. If they don't, there will be tons of press about how they aren't team players, or are selfish, have a bad attitude, etc. Yes they can refuse, but it will cost them. What would change that is if their agents and the NFLPA got together and put a stop to it.

As for the combine, I agree, its a waste of time. 

I was joking about skipping the NCAA but based the response on the preceding comment.  I don't have a problem with players not getting the money for playing college sports.  They enter into a contract (willingly) with their college and are reimbursed with all that you mention, plus education and opportunity.  If they want to be paid for work, they can leave college and enter the workforce like al those in their college class that aren't getting a free ride--or all of those who didn't get to go to college and have to work without the benefit of a college degree.  In the NCAA, therefore, the risks and rewards of participation are very clear to every student athlete.  They get to choose...

As for the team visits, it is clear that the teams feel the visits are important and therefore the players and agents also think this is true.  Unless you firmly believe that teams are pressuring players to attend just to mess with them (which is senseless), then you have to assume the visits/workouts are of mutual benefit.

The NFLPA can do nothing about this as these kids are not in the union.  Agents obviously are not going to discourage these visits as they feel they have value. 

Players themselves will choose to not go (Christian Mcafferty refused last year), just like they can refuse the combine.

Players do workouts (and other things) on their own, have injuries and then do not disclose it after medical exams of combine (if any) so it is NOT just on the teams.  I am sure there are agents which told their clients to not disclose information about such injuries.

What an agent should do is tell team:

• my client will be glad to do any site visit as long as travel expenses paid
  • my client will be glad to do any board talk over X's and O's
  • my client will be glad to meet with your doctors as long as you and doctors sign our non-disclosure form which penalizes info let out
  • my client will do a private workout but team must be willing to pay the insurance premium for that workout.  It is the team's decision.

The agent should make it clear that his client will cooperate but team will bear expense.  This lets an independent party, the insurance company, determine cost. 

Only workouts that should be needed are:

1.  You had a terrible combine and want to show better.  

2.  You are coming off injury and need to prove you are healthy before the draft.  

Rest are useless and should be declined. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not about moving down if you don't go to the workouts, it's about possibly moving up.  And the risk of a devastating injury during such a workout is exceedingly low, obviously.  They aren't being asked to do anything dangerous or unusual. It's easy for these guys and their agents to do the math on this risk/benefit equation. 

So you can possibly move up by working out for a team? How far do you think your really going to move up based on a useless workout? Maybe a few spots.  Compare that too how far you drop if your tear something in your knee. No way is the risk worth it. Your completely exposed with no contract. You have a body of work for the team to evaluate you on. These workouts are a complete waste of time. 

23 hours ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

So you can possibly move up by working out for a team? How far do you think your really going to move up based on a useless workout? Maybe a few spots.  Compare that too how far you drop if your tear something in your knee. No way is the risk worth it. Your completely exposed with no contract. You have a body of work for the team to evaluate you on. These workouts are a complete waste of time. 

It should be clear that both agents and players feel they may improve their draft stock by working out for the teams.  Why on earth would they bother otherwise??

The players have already have concluded (rightly) that the odds of blowing out a knee or other serious career threatening injury is remote---as it clearly is. 

If what many here are claiming was true, few if any players would show up to these workouts.   Players and their agents completely disagree with your take.  Why are they wrong?