So What about a WR

cudi

So all this talk about QB's and trading up is nice and all but what about the guys they throw to?  What are some receivers you'd like to see Buffalo go after? (Round doesn't matter)  Right now in the mid rounds I wouldn't hate seeing us take Antonio Callaway out of Florida.  (Kinda bias because I'm a Gators fan)  But still if the guy has his act together and is ready to play football he's a good receiver as well as a good return man.  Anything can be better than Brandon "19 Yardline" Tate returning for us.  Right now we have KB just coming of surgery, Zay running around naked not catching anything but Johnny Law, and a pack of guys that just haven't been able to put it all together yet.  Yeah load the ammo in the gun and pull the trigger on the QB but how much success are they expecting from a kid that doesn't have a few guys that are going to make plays for him?

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Little off topic but why did a lot of people dislike Tate?

I thought he was a solid punt returner. As a kick returner he struggled, I’ll give you that 

I thought Tate was a good returner too.....until last season.  I wasn’t impressed with his play last year

Recent history has shown that WRs tend to be overvalued by fans, and not so much by winning teams. Seahawks best WR is a 5th Round player, Pats didn't win it all with Cooks hence the trade, Watkins has done squat, Odell is great but he doesn't move the needle toward wins, Mike Evans has been a beast and the team can't even be taken seriously in their own division which is weak outside of the Saints. 

WR position has become the equivalent of the RB position 5 years ago....find a value guy, and you'll succeed. Thielen, Kupp, Antonio Brown, Keenan Allen...yes there is Julio and AJ Green, but they are the exception. Bills have some depth and can and will probably Draft another decent WR....all good.

Jarvis Landry / Odell Beckham / Golden Tate / Brandin Cooks / Josh Gordon / Martavis Bryant / Stefon Diggs 

All slated to be free agents next off season.

Plus guys will likely be on the trade block, plus we'll have draft picks.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Hit on the QB and we can fill the pieces in around him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Even as a punt returner you think?

I will say that his punt return wasn't terrible but there were times where the opposing team would kick it so he would have to return it and he wouldn't even make it to the 20.  It was frustrating with already an already struggling offense to start 5-10 yards behind where they could of started with a knee or just hitting a hole and getting as much as possible

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Jarvis Landry / Odell Beckham / Golden Tate / Brandin Cooks / Josh Gordon / Martavis Bryant / Stefon Diggs 

Plus guys will likely be on the trade block, plus we'll have draft picks.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Hit on the QB and we can fill the pieces in around him.

Not a great list.  Lots of talent but some serious headcases or not locker room guys.  Diggs will be kept by Minnesota I would think.  

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

True but Beane is going to have to really sell some snake oil to get those guys to play in Buffalo and all are going to want max contracts.  Well except for Landry he might be willing to take about anything just as long as he doesn't have to go back to the mistake by the lake. :lol:

I still think you can get a guy like Travis Benjamin by dealing a late-round pick.  He's got a high cap number on a team that has a glut of young WRs, he's been productive in the past, and he's got the speed factor that this team is missing.

49 minutes ago, cudi said:

So all this talk about QB's and trading up is nice and all but what about the guys they throw to?  What are some receivers you'd like to see Buffalo go after? (Round doesn't matter)  Right now in the mid rounds I wouldn't hate seeing us take Antonio Callaway out of Florida.  (Kinda bias because I'm a Gators fan)  But still if the guy has his act together and is ready to play football he's a good receiver as well as a good return man.  Anything can be better than Brandon "19 Yardline" Tate returning for us.  Right now we have KB just coming of surgery, Zay running around naked not catching anything but Johnny Law, and a pack of guys that just haven't been able to put it all together yet.  Yeah load the ammo in the gun and pull the trigger on the QB but how much success are they expecting from a kid that doesn't have a few guys that are going to make plays for him?

We definitely need a WR ... perhaps even in 1st 2 rounds.  Daboll should have a good read on Ridley, and Chark and DJ Moore would be a good fit.  As to midround picks, the name DeSean Hamilton (PSU) has been associated with Bills.  Equanamious  Brown (ND) is an interesting idea too but his value seems to be all over the place.  I don't see the Bills being interested in Callaway at all ...implicated in a rape case, credit card fraud, multiple failed drug tests.  He has all the talent in the world but s#@t for brains.  Reportedly, despite all these red flags he still showed up at his pro day out of shape.. 

If the Bills want to replace Tate in the return game, they might get it while adding depth at cb.  Mike Hughes (UCF), DJ Reed (KSU), and Darius Phillips (WMU) all excel as returners.   Some WR returners that might be avaliable in the 7th or UDFAS are Ray Ray Mcloud (Clemson) and Quadree Henderson (Pittsburgh) who is only 5'8" but a highlight film on returns.

Edited by CamboBill
  • Like (+1) 2

I haven't seen Antonio Callaway play, but he's projecting around pick 200 on a lot of the draft boards that I've seen and a UFA on others.  Not even a top-40 prospect at his position.  I would think about Auden Tate (Florida State) in the third round.  I would even consider Dallas Goedert (TE S.D. State) as he's a huge matchup problem with his size and speed.  I like Courtland Sutton (SMU).  History has proven that you don't need to reach for WR's, so taking one with either first round pick seems like a waste.  I'll also take the big possession receivers over the undersized speedsters all day.  I've heard DJ Moore's name mentioned, but he's grading out third round.  A Fine place to take a QB.

Just now, Luxy312 said:

I haven't seen Antonio Callaway play, but he's projecting around pick 200 on a lot of the draft boards that I've seen and a UFA on others.  Not even a top-40 prospect at his position.  I would think about Auden Tate (Florida State) in the third round.  I would even consider Dallas Goedert (TE S.D. State) as he's a huge matchup problem with his size and speed.  I like Courtland Sutton (SMU).  History has proven that you don't need to reach for WR's, so taking one with either first round pick seems like a waste.  I'll also take the big possession receivers over the undersized speedsters all day.  I've heard DJ Moore's name mentioned, but he's grading out third round.  A Fine place to take a QB.

Yeah I'm a fan of larger WR's as well the little speedsters are nice in the return game and give you some nice quick short routes but a nice tall receiver with good to decent speed and can jump is a favorite for me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cudi said:

Get a legit QB and WRs will come.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

Recent history has shown that WRs tend to be overvalued by fans, and not so much by winning teams. Seahawks best WR is a 5th Round player, Pats didn't win it all with Cooks hence the trade, Watkins has done squat, Odell is great but he doesn't move the needle toward wins, Mike Evans has been a beast and the team can't even be taken seriously in their own division which is weak outside of the Saints. 

WR position has become the equivalent of the RB position 5 years ago....find a value guy, and you'll succeed. Thielen, Kupp, Antonio Brown, Keenan Allen...yes there is Julio and AJ Green, but they are the exception. Bills have some depth and can and will probably Draft another decent WR....all good.

I don't completely agree with that, but of that's the case then we were horribly inept at getting WR depth. That's like saying deonte Thompson last year was like a montee ball 5 years ago. If they're a dime a dozen we certainly didn't land anyone with promise. Or seem to be making any attempt now.