The Bills rebuild with a trade-down after an early run on QB

56 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll play along but in a slightly different way. Keep 12, trade 22 and your 4th for a 2nd this year and 1st next year. Trade a 2nd and 2019 4th for Foles. The next month could look something like this:

- Foles

- Roquan Smith 

- Billy Price

- Christian Kirk

- Rashad Penny

- Darius Leonard

- Brian O’Neill

- Avonte Maddox 

- 2019 1st

I am not one that believes Foles is the answer but thought this would be a fun exercise. 

If Foles is not the answer then why give up a high pick for him? Foles did have a terrific playoff run. But that short term high level of play doesn't represent his usual level of play. So the question becomes is Foles much better than McCarron? I would say not appreciably so. If the Bills can't work a deal to get one of the top tier qbs then it should stay where it is at and use their current picks to add to the roster. 

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Lets make a bet.  I will bet you $50 that they don’t trade down.  That’s how confident I feel that they aren’t moving down.  Are we on?  

I don't know what they will do. It depends upon too many unknow outside of anybody's control or knowledge.  I think each possibility (trade up a few, stay pat, trade down a few) are all about equally possible.   Its a 1 in 3 chance, not an even chance.

In what universe does Mayfield slip down to #12?

Also, have you noticed that drafting middle to low round QBs HAS FAILED MISERABLY for us over the last 2 decades?!?!!

NO. NO MORE. You TRADE UP and get the guy. ENOUGH of this middling BS.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

We were in cap hell and needed to rebuild the roster. We don't have the nucleus to trade away all of our draft picks.

Further, with the recent moves Spotrac has us at just under 63M for the cap versus being at nearly 100M just a few weeks ago.  That will get eaten up by signing a fair number of players who will just below top shelf in terms of quality.  Who knows?  Maybe a valuable vet QB will be available via trade and we will need nearly half of that for reworking that QB's contract.  The top 4 of the draft are far from the only options.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

I agree with this. Besides, the OP is wrong in asserting that Taylor helped out the offense of line with his scrambling. Just the opposite is true. The offense of line actually played pretty fair during 2017. The problem was Taylor’s tendency to panic under pressure and run into a sack.Again, embedded in the initial post is the ridiculous lingering narrative that Taylor was anything but horrible.

Yeah sometimes i dont think people realize how bad TT played.  Im not knocking the guy but his numbers were embarrassing.  

The entire world knows that we're angling to move up in this draft and get a coveted franchise QB.. IMHO it's a foregone conclusion that the only scenario that exists is the Bills utilize what we have in picks to move up to a Top 6 pick..take the 4 QBs..Rosen,Darnold,Allen and Mayfield..throw Barkley and Chubb in the mix for the first few picks..We get 1 of these coveted  QBs w a Top 6 pick...

I just don't see us moving back in this draft given the media leaks and news that the Bills are desperate to get a franchise type of QB..unless this is a well designed bluster and misinformation campaign as to the Bills true intentions..if that is the case we need to hand out Oscars for best supporting actor!

In any event,it's exciting to speculate and know that the Bills moves will make this draft exciting and make watching it a must see event

15 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Agreed, if the top 4 are off the board before the Bills are able to do anything (for whatever reason), that will mean that some good position players drop, and I'd prefer they stay put, grab the best LB or DT (yes, yes, I get it, they are not QBs and we need a QB, but in this scenario, we've accepted that we didn't get one), and gauge whether Lamar Jackson will drop (or even do their best to move up from 22 to 13 or 14, which might not cost much), then grab a WR and RB in the 2nd, or if a CB is dropping (if there's anyplace I truly trust the process with McBeane, it's defensive backs). 

Exactly.  You have to do the best with the hand your dealt.  I understand the frustration people feel about not taking a QB and i think the front office is doing what they can to get one.  But you can only do what you can do.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I don't know what they will do. It depends upon too many unknow outside of anybody's control or knowledge.  I think each possibility (trade up a few, stay pat, trade down a few) are all about equally possible.   Its a 1 in 3 chance, not an even chance.

So by that assumption, you should be willing to take odds.  $50 bet gets you $150 if they trade down.  You would be giving away money.

• Like (+1) 1

Many people want to trade down to get one of the four coveted QBs. Coveted by who? Is it possible or even likely the Bills "covet" less than all four QBs? 

• Allen has many issues. Some scouts say he should not even be a first round pick.
  • Rosen may be a medical risk
  • Mayfield's personality may not mesh

My point is, the trade up many on this board are jumping to do may not be something the Bills are willing to do if the one to four QBs they covet are off the board. This isn't a pick the last of the four QBs because we covet them all as a value at the top of the first round. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I am amused by all the experts who know about the "can't miss" rookie QB, who can perform miracles without an offensive line, wide receivers or linebackers on defense.  .....

You're mistaken right from your first sentence. People don't think that one of the new QBs can perform miracles. And we're aware that trading away all those picks will hurt the team's roster, handicapping us for several years. 

But you've spent an awful lot of work here missing the point. By a wide margin.

We're aware that we're going to be pretty bad next year after they trade up. (And the news makes it very obvious that if there's any way to do that, Beane will. He's desperately trying to do that.) The point is that Beane's and McDermott's focus is not on next year. It's on the long term ability to put together a team that can consistently be in position to compete for championships. 

And a franchise QB will put us in that position. Not next year. Hell, the chances are very good that whatever high-level guy we pick after the tradeup is going to sit next year and learn from McCarron. Whereas filling a bunch of holes but still having no franchise QB will very much NOT put us in that position.

There's still one situation where trade-backs become very possible. If we can't get into the top five or six and the top four QBs are gone ... and if they don't like anyone else as much as some on these boards do ... then yeah, we might well see them trading back. Trading this year's #22 for a 1st next year and some change. This year's #56 for a 2nd next year and some change. And so on.

Because if they don't get someone this year that they really like at QB, expect them to try to put themselves in the same situation next year putting together a big ole cache of picks so that we can try to trade up next year. 

Yeah, those picks could fill some holes. That won't begin to do for the long term prospects of this team what getting a franchise QB here would.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

"Brandon is trying like hell to get up and get a quarterback," the NFL GM told La Canfora. 'I'm convinced he'll trade up twice more if he has to. It reminds me of (Eagles general manager) Howie (Roseman) a few years ago (when he was moving up to land Carson Wentz).'"

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/04/buffalo_bills_gm_brandon_beane_reportedly_trying_like_hell_to_trade_up_for_qb.html

It's probably a good deal higher than even. Though maybe the Giants and Browns simply don't want to make the trades.

If they weren't trading up, they'd have traded Glenn not for a move up but for another draft pick. 

Get used to it. This is likely to happen. Practically every draft-related move they've made since Beane got here has been pointed at this.

• Like (+1) 1

I am amused by all the experts who know about the "can't miss" rookie QB, who can perform miracles without an offensive line, wide receivers or linebackers on defense.  ..... Please remember that or offensive line was bailed out by Taylor's feet and that we have aging ,declining guards, that we lost our starting center and traded away a rotational starting tackle.  Three new faces are needed there................  We have one starting linebacker and need two more.  Somebody from the first two rounds would do.....................  Our wide receivers scare nobody, but Mr. Miracle Quarterback is going to have those guys free down the sidelines for a 50yard gain and shaking loose from coverage over the middle and getting an average 15 yard YAC on every play.  Don't think so.  At least one pick in the first 3 rounds is needed............Oh, did you forget that we lost some people as FA who had "DB" as their position?   Maybe one more pick in the 1st three rounds is needed here...........................................BUT lets ignore all that and trade the first two rounds from this year and next year's first for a 50:50 shot.  Yea, right.

With all these needs (six plus a QB = 7) I can not see going in the direction of trading away the draft picks necessary to field a competitive team in order to get a possible star to have wet dreams about.  The games are won in the "trenches".  A cute rookie QB with a broken leg is not good for anything.  I say we should do the following.  Stay at #12 in case the QB that the Bills could live with is available.  If not, they trade down and get your Bart Starr, Jim Kelly or Dan Marion with a later pick.    (with arm twisting, moving up 3-4 spots and losing next year's 2nd rounder would be okay)

I'm amused by anyone who watches the NFL and still doesn't understand the importance of a Quarterback.

And by the way, nobody believes the 2018 Draft has a "can't-miss" QB prospect. 

The argument being made (in the trade-up crowd) is that the higher ranked prospects like Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield have a much better chance of success than guys farther down the ladder like Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk or Kyle Lauletta.  And since we have the extra draft capitol to make a move... and since we have a monstrous need a QB... and because the 2019 QB Class is considered weak -- THIS would be a fantastic year to go up and grab a top QB prospect.

Honestly, it's not a hard concept to grasp.  For instance, if you believe we need a Linebacker - would you be more comfortable filling the spot with one of the top prospects like Roquan Smith or Marcus Davenport?  Or would you like to fill our gaping LB need with somebody slated to go in the 4th-5th Round?  Or maybe a bunch of Undrafted Free Agents?

Obviously there are TONS of examples of Linebackers taken late in the draft who have found tremendous success in the NFL.  But if we wait until Day 3 to draft a LB, many of you will be throwing a fit.  Why?  Because no matter how much you fuss about the draft being a "crap shoot" - somewhere inside you know that Top 10/1st Round Prospects have a much higher rate of success.  The same is true with Quarterbacks.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Nope. The Pats are evil magic.  They traded him off for a higher draft pick and have a replacement cast-off from another team who will step right in and be another Hogan  /  Edelman.   Guy who were given up on by other teams and who are now starters for a top-notch team.   Look at the Pat's drafts.  Last year: DE, DE, OT, OT. .......    2016  CB,  OL,  QB, NT...........2015   DT, S, DE/LB, DE..................2014   (DL , 2nd Round – Jimmy Garoppolo (QB,
(OL (RB,  (OT, o (G, (DE,  (DB, WR,   

Evil magic is right. Hogan? The guy has put up less than stellar Goodwin like stats with Brady throwing. But sooooo good amiright? :lol::rolleyes:

We need to draft a QB, and that is the bottom line. This year we have the capital to do it. Best come to terms with it.

What do you mean by "Conspiracy theories"?   Have you mixed up your post with some political blog?    The Pats are famous for trading away guys who have become sort of stars under their system.  When they are a bit over the hill but still have a great reputation, the Pats sell them off at a premium and wind up with high draft picks for a soon-to-be-fading overpaid star.   Last year's trades of the Bills is along the same line. It is called smart.

You talked about reconnaissance being seen as something different than what is actually there

The Bills are trading up for a QB. It is the worst  kept secret in the NFL. Dont over think it

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If you get to a situation where the Browns go QB at #1, the Giants do at #2, the Jets do at #3.... the Browns refuse to trade out of #4 and then Broncos go QB at #5 I would happily trade back from #12.  I just don't think there is any chance that the scenario plays out.  

That is a nightmare scenario. 

It would be so billsy its possible.

This scares me.

We passed on Watskn and Mahomes for a QB this year. Hope obd doesnt get wet feet.

12 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

the offensive line was hindered by Taylor not helped.  

They must have been hindered by pick5petermen too right?

:lol:

58 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Disagrree with one pointnin ur op.

If we draft a top rookie qb we can just let AJ start and take the hits until we shore up our offensive line.

sometimes you have to leave the ferrari in the garage.

Go out n cop the ferrari but, until the driving conditijns conditions are good, leave that sht in the garage.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wsam4031 said:

Eagles were already offered a 2nd and said they wouldn't take less than a first. They wanted 2 first but I think that's insane and they go down to 1 if anyone gave them one which nobody will do because Foles isn't that good

You offer them the 2nd and the 4th next year. They either take it or they don’t. They can ask for whatever they want but will get whatever is offered to them. They can choose to take it or hold onto Foles. My guess is that they try to hold on and hope for a preseason injury to a QB of a contender.

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

In what universe does Mayfield slip down to #12?

Also, have you noticed that drafting middle to low round QBs HAS FAILED MISERABLY for us over the last 2 decades?!?!!

NO. NO MORE. You TRADE UP and get the guy. ENOUGH of this middling BS.

Who is THE guy?  Is there one, or are we just going to be fixated at a position because we just HAVE to take one?  If there's a GUARANTEE that any one of those QB's are the savior, a generational type player, then cool... I'm in.  But, I've not read ANYTHING that says this QB class is that talented.  Starters yes... a few Pro Bowls... perhaps.  But worthy of 3 #1's+?  I'm not sold.