Roquan Smith Scheduled to Visit Bills

Per Cover1 who is citing Jason Butt of the Telegraph in Georgia, Roquan Smith has been scheduled to visit with the Bills. Considering the Vander Esch news and now this piece of enlightening information, it does seem that the Bills have not completely sold out to the idea of trading up because neither of these guys will be available beyond the early 2nd round - early 1st for Smith and late 1st to early 2nd for Vander Esch. 

This means, IMHO, the Bills are still very much unsure about trading up and if they do, how far because otherwise these are two guys they would NOT spend their limited number of visits on due to their probable Draft position. It makes sense a guy like Penny is visiting because he's probably a 3rd or 4th round back in this year's Draft class, but any player potentially going in early 1st to early 2nd coming in to the Bills would be a waste of their time and money if they were committed to trading so far up that they needed to give up early picks. I could see them trading with Tampa to get to #7 and only giving up a 3rd or 4th this year which would keep those other two players at least "possibly" in the discussion. 

Hold on to your seat folks, it's still another LOOOOOOOOOONG 3 weeks to the Draft. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

They could be all in on trading up and still get stuck without a partner. Or the QBs could slide more than expected and allow them to keep 22.

it would be irresponsible to only look at the top QBs even if they are your plan

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This could Easily be our 12th pick. You have to have backup plan if everything fails... if we can't move up for Baker, then we probably take Quan at 12... use 22 & our extra 2nd to trade up for Jackson...maybe

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It really could mean anything. Beane said he will purposely bring in some players for visits as smokescreens. 

This.

Plus you aren't just going to bring in only guys you plan on drafting. If plans change they have to be ready. Whaley used to do the same thing. He brought in Watkins even though it was thought they had no shot at him and brought in guys that would be available around the BIlls original pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Due diligence folks.  As much as the serial whiney ninny's can't fathom the idea that it takes two to tango when it comes to trading draft choices the Bills have to have a plan B, plan C and plan D if things don't unfold the way youd ideally like for them to.  That's what good sports mangers do or for that matter what a good normal private civilian should do in life which is plan for the unexpected.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

This.

Plus you aren't just going to bring in only guys you plan on drafting. If plans change they have to be ready. Whaley used to do the same thing. He brought in Watkins even though it was thought they had no shot at him and brought in guys that would be available around the BIlls original pick.

Plus you could see him at a division rival and it’s not terrible to have extra insight 

and you can ask him questions about both teammates and opponents during the visit 

All very true, I suppose I don't put as much validity in the intentionally bringing in players just for "smoke screen" train of thought...but as someone pointed out, Beane has said that himself. 

It seems like a waste of resources, really more time and effort, if you truly have no intent on Drafting a guy....I agree you need to have contingency plans, and that is truly the most thorough way to do things....but, as many have said here, all the preliminary trade up scenarios have been discussed with probably just about every top 10 team and at this point, you'd think they'd have a pretty good idea as to what it would take to trade up...could it change? Of course....but it seems they would know by now what the plan is, so if they have every intent on trading up, wouldn't it make more sense to have guys in for a visit that could warrant your trade up or guys you are very likely to be able to Draft with the remaining Draft capital? 

In the end I trust Beane and his staff, so if they think this makes sense, then so be it.....either way, this feels like crossing off days on the calendar before Christmas.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

All very true, I suppose I don't put as much validity in the intentionally bringing in players just for "smoke screen" train of thought...but as someone pointed out, Beane has said that himself. 

It seems like a waste of resources, really more time and effort, if you truly have no intent on Drafting a guy....I agree you need to have contingency plans, and that is truly the most thorough way to do things....but, as many have said here, all the preliminary trade up scenarios have been discussed with probably just about every top 10 team and at this point, you'd think they'd have a pretty good idea as to what it would take to trade up...could it change? Of course....but it seems they would know by now what the plan is, so if they have every intent on trading up, wouldn't it make more sense to have guys in for a visit that could warrant your trade up or guys you are very likely to be able to Draft with the remaining Draft capital? 

In the end I trust Beane and his staff, so if they think this makes sense, then so be it.....either way, this feels like crossing off days on the calendar before Christmas.

Im sure they have some idea... but what if a curveball happens? Come draft day what if NE offers up a massive package? Or the QBs slide more than expected? Or you have a deal roughly in place for 3 and the jets jump in for example? 

spending time with guys that you think will be big time players is always productive on some level 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Im sure they have some idea... but what if a curveball happens? Come draft day what if NE offers up a massive package? Or the QBs slide more than expected? Or you have a deal roughly in place for 3 and the jets jump in for example? 

spending time with guys that you think will be big time players is always productive on some level 

Fair point....and I certainly can't argue *against* it....it just seems given the limited amount of time and number of visits the NFL affords each team, that it *might* be more resourceful to bring in guys that you have more questions about or just need to spend more time with based on their projected value in the 3rd to 5th round....for example, because Smith has so much detailed video out there plus the Combine plus any other interactions that have occurred, it would seem they pretty much know what they're getting. But, a guy like Lauletta (just as an example) who played in a sub-par division, you'd really want to spend time with him by putting him through the ringer and go through the whiteboard thoroughly with him...because as a contingency, the Bills may need to know him through and through based on how the Draft falls, but you don't get to have a good understanding about his abilities at the next level because of the lower level of competition he played against....see what I mean? 

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, and I understand all the valid points people are making and I can't argue against them, it just seems like there is a better way to utilize the aforementioned limited resources. But hey, Beane knows what he's doing....

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Vander Doodle will not last until 22.  Smith  won't last until 12.

Fixed it.  Smith will be long gone by 12.  

I don't think bringing Smith in is a smokescreen.  I think it is more like an alternative plan JUST IN CASE.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Vander Doodle will not last until 22.  Smith probably won't last until 12.

If the QBs go as high as the media mavens predict they will, Smith will be available at 12.  If the QBs don't go as high as predicted, then there will be 1 or 2 available for the Bills to pick -- if they want one of them, and they might not.

As I've said numerous times, we don't know how the Bills have the QBs rated.  I don't think the Bills will move up for "a" QB as the Jests apparently are willing to do.  I think if they're willing to trade up, it's for a specific QB, which means that they won't trade up before the team they have as a partner is on the clock and their guy is available.   Of course, it may be that neither Cleveland nor Giants is interested in trading out of their spots except for far more than the Bills are willing to give.   If they can't find a partner or their QB is off the board, then they're going to go BPA at another position, which certainly Smith would be.

Whatever the outcome, the Bills need to cross their Ts and dot their Is, and be prepared for contingencies since drafts seldom go the way the hypesters in the media claim it will.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

This.

All GM's look at a multitude of players from different positions because the draft can unfold in a variety of ways.  Looking at Smith could mean a lot or could mean nothing.

This is interesting to say the least.  They only get a total of 30 visits.  I don't know if there's a "master list" thread out there that records this, but I believe that in the last 10 years or so, the Bills first round picks were all in the scheduled visits.  I can easily list out a bunch of players that gets Smith to #12 or that gets the Bills the quarterback that they want.  There's a lot of talent in this draft and linebacker is certainly a position of need.

34 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If the QBs go as high as the media mavens predict they will, Smith will be available at 12.  If the QBs don't go as high as predicted, then there will be 1 or 2 available for the Bills to pick -- if they want one of them, and they might not.

As I've said numerous times, we don't know how the Bills have the QBs rated.  I don't think the Bills will move up for "a" QB as the Jests apparently are willing to do.  I think if they're willing to trade up, it's for a specific QB, which means that they won't trade up before the team they have as a partner is on the clock and their guy is available.   Of course, it may be that neither Cleveland nor Giants is interested in trading out of their spots except for far more than the Bills are willing to give.   If they can't find a partner or their QB is off the board, then they're going to go BPA at another position, which certainly Smith would be.

Whatever the outcome, the Bills need to cross their Ts and dot their Is, and be prepared for contingencies since drafts seldom go the way the hypesters in the media claim it will.

Well said, I think the Bills have one maybe two QBs that they'd be willing to trade up for and just waiting until draft day to see how things play out to trade up or not. I'm hoping the two are Rosen and Darnold. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Exactly