Moving up to #2 = No Playoffs for the next three years

10 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Hey, it's possible, and I hope it works. But who is Rosen or Mayfield going to be throwing to, exactly? 

I would argue that if the QB works out, it's a solution at the position for a decade. Then you spend the next couple offseasons surrounding him, and get that ever-elusive SB window before he gets the big money after his rookie deal.

5 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Your analogy is almost correct, the Rams traded, got Goff and they were awful and completely inept on offense in 2016.  They had cap room and made moves with FA selections to bolster their offensive line and WR group.  Changed coaches and then took off in 2017.

The Bills have the unique opportunity to get a QB and build their roster in the 2018 draft.  Let's remember any QB we pick is gonna be an unused roster spot in 2018.  Let's stay at 12, 22, 53,56, 65 and 96.  Take Jackson or Rudolph and build the rest of the roster, then let's see what AJ can do and if we can progress from 2017.  Then use our significant cap room and a full allotment of 2019 draft picks to replace the Patriots at the top of the division for at least the next 5 years as the Patriots fall apart after Tommy and Bill leave, the Dolphins are an organizational mess and the Jets have their franchise QB and no players around him.

Thats my plan, what's yours?

Trade up get one of the top three QBs. (Prefer using 2019 picks as an offset to keep 2018 picks)

Fill the rest of the holes with the picks we have left 

anything we missed sign post draft. 

Continue to grow, use next years cap space to fill out the team to a SB Contender 

6 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Your analogy is almost correct, the Rams traded, got Goff and they were awful and completely inept on offense in 2016.  They had cap room and made moves with FA selections to bolster their offensive line and WR group.  Changed coaches and then took off in 2017.

The Bills have the unique opportunity to get a QB and build their roster in the 2018 draft.  Let's remember any QB we pick is gonna be an unused roster spot in 2018.  Let's stay at 12, 22, 53,56, 65 and 96.  Take Jackson or Rudolph and build the rest of the roster, then let's see what AJ can do and if we can progress from 2017.  Then use our significant cap room and a full allotment of 2019 draft picks to replace the Patriots at the top of the division for at least the next 5 years as the Patriots fall apart after Tommy and Bill leave, the Dolphins are an organizational mess and the Jets have their franchise QB and no players around him.

Thats my plan, what's yours?

Beer. Lots of it.

But I hope you're right!

7 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

You said picking 6 players makes it likely to hit on one or two players.  What’s not to understand?  If hitting on one or two players is better than hitting on a qb, then that’s your opinion.  You made it clear.  If that’s not what you said, perhaps you have an issue with getting your point across clearly.  

No, I said it's more likely we hit on one of 6 than just one. Remember, that QB can be a bust, too. 

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Rams

Eagles

Chiefs

Titans

Jags

Huh

All of them made playoffs last year.  All of them drafted QBs high or traded up for QBs within the last 4 drafts.

Stop being intellectually dishonest.  Not all those teams used multiple picks to get one player.  Not every last one contributed to their team in a meaningful way (Mahomes) last year.

24 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Anyone notice what a real QB did for San Fran ONCE the trade for Jimmy G was made. 

Instant upgrade. 

But in Buffalo land it means no playoffs for 3 years 

Despite the gushing by the national media, I still think that the jury is still out on Garoppolo, but I understand your overall point. We need a QB, and in order to get one, we have to trade up.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Despite the gushing by the national media, I still think that the jury is still out on Garoppolo, but I understand your overall point. We need a QB, and in order to get one, we have to trade up.

I agree the jury is still out on His long term outlook. But what he did to that San Fran team thag could not win a game once he was started was the impact a QB makes to a team. 

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

5-0 

The jury may be out (and I do agree with that) but darned if it aint leaning one way. 

• Like (+1) 1

How can you even say such things? LOL Please... Next year the Bills will have SO much cap space they can sign players instead of drafting them. I say they MAKE the playoffs EVERY YEAR. We made it last year with just as many holes.

25 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

Why do some people think that picking a position player can’t produce a bust as well?  It’s like people are afraid of a qb because they might fail, but then talk about all of the picks in the first three rounds as if they are locks to be great.  Here’s a concept.  If our staff is good enough to nail 6 picks over 3 rounds, they are good enough to pick a qb.  

Your logic is faulty.  There is a risk factor in any pick and it is compounded if multiple picks are used to obtain one player.  It is not only if the one heavily invested player that is lost but the opportunity lost on the others.  I would bet that many of the riverboat gamblers here today were crying on the old BBMB about giving the Jags a pick when we obtained Rob Johnson that turned into Fred Taylor.  

11 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Stop being intellectually dishonest.  Not all those teams used multiple picks to get one player.  Not every last one contributed to their team in a meaningful way (Mahomes) last year.

You are right.  Some of those teams legitimately stunk and drafted a player with their own pick.  But they all have the same thing in common.  Having a young cheap QB in place offers you a dramatic advantage when it comes to building a deep talented roster around them.  By drafting a QB who hits, you open up a 5 year window of having an insane luxury at the post expensive position in the sport.  There are no guarantees in any draft pick.  That "stud position player" we might draft at 12 might be complete garbage.  We could whiff on one or both 2nd round picks.  But I'm not being any more intellectually dishonest than the "Too many holes to trade" club who would lead one to believe we just wouldn't put 11 players on the field if we don't have multiple 2nd round picks.

20 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yes, let's look at the Rams team, going all the way back to 2010.

2010: 7-9 No playoffs

2011: 2-14 No playoffs

2012: 7-8-1 No playoffs

2013: 7-9 No playoffs

2014: 6-10 No playoffs

2015: 7-9 No playoffs

-----------------------------------------> Trade up from pick #15 to Pick #1 and select Jared Goff

2016: 4-12 No playoffs

2017: 11-5 Won Division

Yep, trading up for a QB reaaaallly set them back.

Getting rid of Fisher helped too.

Honestly, my expectation if we were to trade up for a QB would be that he starts and we win between 5 and 8 games in 2018. Then in 2019 we upgrade the pieces around him with all the cap space we have freed up and start a streak of playoff appearances and runs. This is exactly what the Rams and Eagles did. Our roster is not complete, and won't be for the 2018 season whether we trade up or not.

32 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

You think this roster is playoff ready? Yeah, I know, we made it this past year. Yippee! We had no shot at advancing, though. Our roster needs some stars

I believe we would have with a better quarterback, honestly.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Rams say Hi 

So do the Giants with Eli and his two rings.

It works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't.

Just like every draft pick.

It's less detrimental now with the rookie wage scale I think.

Another important factor is that bad teams usually have a bad QB, so they aren't willing to part with the top pick.

This year was an exception with the colts and Giants both in the top 5, who both might pass on a QB and be willing to trade down (colts already moved down a couple spots)

Broncos might be willing as well, then after that, all the teams from 6-11 are set at qb and might be willing to trade back as well.