Moving up to #2 = No Playoffs for the next three years

I'll see your "Moving up to #2 = no playoffs for the next three years" and raise it a "No franchise QB = no Super Bowl Championships for the next decade".

Under normal circumstances, I might be inclined to agree with you, but the Bills' 2018 draft is not "normal circumstances". They've spent two full offseasons offloading talent after talent JUST to accumulate picks for this very purpose. As it stands now, they could reasonably trade up, get a quarterback, STILL have a decent amount of picks to use this year, and then go into 2019 with nearly $100 million in cap space to build around the young QB.

Can't say "maybe next year" forever. Go get a QB and be done with it.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

and I'm guessing they will be active, if need be. If they are pro-active,  I don't see the 3-5 playoff wait being a realistic time frame

You think this roster is playoff ready? Yeah, I know, we made it this past year. Yippee! We had no shot at advancing, though. Our roster needs some stars

2 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Plus, we've got a huge cap surplas next year....we can be very pro-active in FA then. 

Is that huge surplus gonna get us a qb that we will desperately need?  No, because they rarely hit the market.  But what can the cap surplus do that is possible?  Get us position players to fill holes.  I don’t understand why people don’t get it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'll see your "Moving up to #2 = no playoffs for the next three years" and raise it a "No franchise QB = no Super Bowl Championships for the next decade".

Under normal circumstances, I might be inclined to agree with you, but the Bills' 2018 draft is not "normal circumstances". They've spent two full offseasons offloading talent after talent JUST to accumulate picks for this very purpose. As it stands now, they could reasonably trade up, get a quarterback, STILL have a decent amount of picks to use this year, and then go into 2019 with nearly $100 million in cap space to build around the young QB.

Can't say "maybe next year" forever. Go get a QB and be done with it.

Hey, it's possible, and I hope it works. But who is Rosen or Mayfield going to be throwing to, exactly? 

Just now, Domdab99 said:

You think this roster is playoff ready? Yeah, I know, we made it this past year. Yippee! We had no shot at advancing, though. Our roster needs some stars

Our roster needs a star QB. I think we have stars in our secondary or at least very good players. We need to work on LB, we've already improved our DL from last season. If we get a QB, we will likely be better than our playoff team of last season.

2 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

Is that huge surplus gonna get us a qb that we will desperately need?  No, because they rarely hit the market.  But what can the cap surplus do that is possible?  Get us position players to fill holes.  I don’t understand why people don’t get it.

I get it, Dude. It's possible. I understand what you're saying. I just think it's less likely. 

Just now, Domdab99 said:

Hey, it's possible, and I hope it works. But who is Rosen or Mayfield going to be throwing to, exactly? 

If these rookies are as great as we want them to be than it doesn't matter as they will make the receivers look good. Many QB's have done it.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So a team that made the playoffs with hmmmm most of the same team will start a 3 year drought if they trade up for a Legit QB. 

Interesting take 

You think we're going on a playoff run with this current roster? Really? Who is this savior QB going to throw the ball to, exactly?

2 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

Wait, so getting two position players is now better than one qb?  Ok.  Sounds reasonable 

You have a problem with reading comprehension, don't you?

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

You think we're going on a playoff run with this current roster? Really? Who is this savior QB going to throw the ball to, exactly?

Was last years sell off a playoff roster.  Oooo wait it was. 

Lets see if you have a elite rookie QB when WRs get cut after draft (like Dez) doesnt it help signing WRs with a top end QB?

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Rams say Hi 

Your analogy is almost correct, the Rams traded, got Goff and they were awful and completely inept on offense in 2016.  They had cap room and made moves with FA selections to bolster their offensive line and WR group.  Changed coaches and then took off in 2017.

The Bills have the unique opportunity to get a QB and build their roster in the 2018 draft.  Let's remember any QB we pick is gonna be an unused roster spot in 2018.  Let's stay at 12, 22, 53,56, 65 and 96.  Take Jackson or Rudolph and build the rest of the roster, then let's see what AJ can do and if we can progress from 2017.  Then use our significant cap room and a full allotment of 2019 draft picks to replace the Patriots at the top of the division for at least the next 5 years as the Patriots fall apart after Tommy and Bill leave, the Dolphins are an organizational mess and the Jets have their franchise QB and no players around him.

Thats my plan, what's yours?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Moving up is sexy, it's fun, it's what's for dinner these days. But moving up will set the team's growth back three, maybe five years. Possibly longer. This team has so many holes, that to throw away all these picks on a QB who might be good is insanity. 

If we can somehow move up and still have 1 2nd and 1 3rd...I'd be willing to listen. But only for Rosen or Mayfield. Trading up for any of the other QBs is insanity. Especially since Jackson has a very good chance of being there at 12. Hell, he has a good chance of being there at 22.

I'd rather pick an elite player at 12 - Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea....etc. Use the rest of the picks on holes like WR, OL, DL, LB....

Throwing away this draft along with a first next next year? No thanks. 

I agree with the tenor of your post - plugging in too many picks to get to #2 is really not worth it to me - you aren't moving up to #2 to get an established QB, it's a pipe dream and even if you get it right, you won't have the ability to surround them with the talent they need to succeed.

On Jackson - if you wait too long (maybe even 12) - someone is going to jump ahead of the Bills, knowing they are likely to draft him.

I still think how this plays out is they have grades on players.  I think the trade up targets are #4 and #6 - and those will be a hell of a lot cheaper then #2 would be.  The Giants got a ton of power when the Jets moved up - and overpaid by all standards.  I say let the chips fall where they do, and move up to a more reasonable spot to grab a QB when the price is right.

This could be the 1983 QB draft - or it could be a whole lot of flops.  I would so much rather not have to move up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

You said picking 6 players makes it likely to hit on one or two players.  What’s not to understand?  If hitting on one or two players is better than hitting on a qb, then that’s your opinion.  You made it clear.  If that’s not what you said, perhaps you have an issue with getting your point across clearly.  

8 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Look at the rest of the Rams team. They're loaded. We're not.

Yes, let's look at the Rams team, going all the way back to 2010.

2010: 7-9 No playoffs

2011: 2-14 No playoffs

2012: 7-8-1 No playoffs

2013: 7-9 No playoffs

2014: 6-10 No playoffs

2015: 7-9 No playoffs

-----------------------------------------> Trade up from pick #15 to Pick #1 and select Jared Goff

2016: 4-12 No playoffs

2017: 11-5 Won Division

Yep, trading up for a QB reaaaallly set them back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2