Moving up to #2 = No Playoffs for the next three years

Totally disagree. 

QB is everything.  Haven't we friggin figured that out, yet?  :doh:

We might be able to swing trading up to #2 for, say, both our 1sts and both our 2nds this year plus a 1st or 2nd next year.

Considering we'd still have 5 picks this year and a ton of Cap space next offseason, we would absolutely not be mortgaging our future, especially considering that what we "paid" to get some of the draft picks we would give away were assets McDermott and Beane didn't want, anyway (Tyrod, Sammy, & Darby) or never even had the opportunity to utilize at all due to injury (Glenn).

We're still in good shape if we trade up to #2 and the above is about all it takes.  If we only had to trade up a few spots or somehow managed to stay at #12 and still manage to get "our guy," I think we'll be in exceptional shape and will expect us to be Super Bowl contenders by 2019.

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Anyone notice what a real QB did for San Fran ONCE the trade for Jimmy G was made. 

Instant upgrade. 

But in Buffalo land it means no playoffs for 3 years 

Jimmy G.....2nd rounder pick #62

I don't agree with OP on his panic.

So my guess is a move up to pick 7 costs OBD pick 12 in Rd 1 and a 2nd rounder (53).  Throw in a 4th round pick to pay a 10% premium

So now they draft at  7, 22, 56, 65 and 96.  Bills go from 6 to 5 picks in top 100 and still have late 5th and a 6th rd picks

7 picks is still more than last years draft btw.  Still likely they get future starters at QB, MLB, DT, WR and CB in this scenario

16 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Calling it a lottery ticket is a bit disingenuous. Taking s top rated prospect is the most likely way to get a good or elite QB. 

So which QB will have the best career?  How many will have great careers?  Will you be happy if we trade all those picks and end up with Joe Flacco?

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

So which QB will have the best career?  How many will have great careers?  Will you be happy if we trade all those picks and end up with Joe Flacco?

Which LB will b e an all pro? How about which RB?

Maybe which WR?

4 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

Why do some people think that picking a position player can’t produce a bust as well?  It’s like people are afraid of a qb because they might fail, but then talk about all of the picks in the first three rounds as if they are locks to be great.  Here’s a concept.  If our staff is good enough to nail 6 picks over 3 rounds, they are good enough to pick a qb.  

Holy smokes sir YOU have just won post of the week in my opinion.  Very, VERY good point you bring up and honestly one I haven't even thought about until you brought it up.

I still want us to move up and get Rosen or Mayfield, and know it's going to take more than alot of us will be happy with.  However, we could all be surprised...Beane got us a 3rd round pick for Tyrod, and I honestly would've been happy getting a 5th for him.  But I think with Rosen and Mayfield, like Maj said, we're talking instant upgrades.

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

yes if it means winning a SB and getting one of these

replica-vince-lombardi-trophy-any-team-a

Just now, joesixpack said:

Which LB will b e an all pro? How about which RB?

Maybe which WR?

Roquan and Sanquan.  Probably no WR's.  Maybe on return ability.  And I don't need to overpay for Roquan

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

yes if it means winning a SB and getting one of these

replica-vince-lombardi-trophy-any-team-a

So we Trent Dilfer, Jim McMahon, Doug Williams, Nick Foles, Jeff Hostletter are ok to overpay for as well?  The Ravens D won that superbowl

4 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Moving up is sexy, it's fun, it's what's for dinner these days. But moving up will set the team's growth back three, maybe five years. Possibly longer. This team has so many holes, that to throw away all these picks on a QB who might be good is insanity. 

If we can somehow move up and still have 1 2nd and 1 3rd...I'd be willing to listen. But only for Rosen or Mayfield. Trading up for any of the other QBs is insanity. Especially since Jackson has a very good chance of being there at 12. Hell, he has a good chance of being there at 22.

I'd rather pick an elite player at 12 - Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea....etc. Use the rest of the picks on holes like WR, OL, DL, LB....

Throwing away this draft along with a first next next year? No thanks. 

Does having all of those picks meant that the Bills will hit on each one?   Even if they do the team only gets so far without a consistently good to great QB.  Take the swing, it's long overdue. 

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

you don't KNOW that though, do you?

Nobody KNOWS anything, we all just have opinions. Some people confuse that with fact. My sister-in-law does it all the time. Is this the pet peeves thread? 

16 minutes ago, bills in oregon said:

Philly D was and is rock solid!! so was the O-line the added a WR and  a RB. so ya that could do that with what that had already.

So they Built around their trade up QB. 

Amazing people here against trading up say that is impossible 

Just now, Augie said:

Nobody KNOWS anything, we all just have opinions. Some people confuse that with fact. My sister-in-law does it all the time. Is this the pet peeves thread? 

Yes, well, that's the problem. Pete and those who think like him seem to think that EVERY pick used on anything other than a QB will be a success, and the team will be great for it. They think it's a fact. It's not.

The only FACT is that since we've avoided QB for 20 years, we've sucked.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Pete said:

It is a well calculated, educated guess.  You pick the QB- and I pick Roquan.  Lets see who makes probowl

Which position is more important? You have to weight those choices. Nailing the QB position is FAR more important than getting a good LB. You can’t pretend they are of equal value. 

• Like (+1) 1