Saban's response to Rosen's comments regarding the demands of college football

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Excellent comments from the greatest college coach of all time.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/08/nick_saban_football_isnt_any_m.html

This is typical of D1 coaches more now than ever. As a former D1 hockey player at an IVY league school 30-35 years ago, and having my son take the same path in the last few years, let me shed a little perspective on it.

When I played, we had practice at 5:00 and it ended at 6:30-6:45. You headed over to the rink about 4:15- a short walk.  Shower and dinner after practice back home no later than 7:45. Total time per day 3.5 hours. Occasional community service commitments on weekend.

My son's experience was like a job and is viewed like that by the players and coach. Between meetings with coaches, lifting , special instruction ,watching film, practice, time with the trainer and doing many community type events, he had way more time invested. Hell after the games they were required to ride exercise bikes while family members waited for them. He easily averaged 6 hours a day on his sport. During this 6 hours, people who are not playing sports have a huge time advantage.

Summers are different too. My sons coach does NOT permit players to do summer internships! He wants them to be in town and working out. On more than couple occasions the coach screamed at the team ," I thought I was getting hockey players and instead I got students!" This is no kidding and at an IVY league institution. People have no idea how different it is.

People who think it is no different now, have  forgotten how big a business college sports have become. Careers, big contracts, egos, getting a better job, high stakes all play into it more than ever. And, Nick Saban is one of the worst I'm sure. Josh Rosen 1000% correct. Hell when i played we had some engineers on the team (I was one), Now-none..nadda..it doesn't work period end of it.

Edited by horned dogs
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Whatever Rosen is 100 percent correct. 

Now why feel the need to bring up a 2017 article??

if you want to get on your knees for the quitter coach there is a college forum 

I commend Rosen. Uber smart and doesnt shy away for controversial topics. I played basketball and was a communications major... LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. And our scheds are made for us. I love that some guys need to be great on and off the field.

12 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

This is typical of D1 coaches more now than ever. As a former D1 hockey player at an IVY league school 30-35 years ago, and having my son take the same path in the last few years, let me shed a little perspective on it.

When I played, we had practice at 5:00 and it ended at 6:30-6:45. You headed over to the rink about 4:15- a short walk.  Shower and dinner after practice back home no later than 7:45. Total time per day 3.5 hours. Occasional community service commitments on weekend.

My son's experience was like a job and is viewed like that by the players and coach. Between meetings with coaches, lifting , special instruction ,watching film, practice, time with the trainer and doing many community type events, he had way more time invested. Hell after the games they were required to ride exercise bikes while family members waited for them. He easily averaged 6 hours a day on his sport. During this 6 hours, people who are not playing sports have a huge time advantage.

Summers are different too. My sons coach does NOT permit players to do summer internships! He wants them to be in town and working out. On more than couple occasions the coach screamed at the team ," I thought I was getting hockey players and instead I got students!" This is no kidding and at an IVY league institution. People have no idea how different it is.

People who think it is no different now, have  forgotten how big a business college sports have become. Careers, big contracts, egos, getting a better job, high stakes all play into it more than ever. And, Nick Saban is one of the worst I'm sure. Josh Rosen 1000% correct. Hell when i played we had some engineers on the team (I was one), Now-none..nadda..it doesn't work period end of it.

I'm sure it's a grind. My school had an elite baseball team. None of the players were in difficult majors that I can recall. One was in accounting and he had to drop baseball.

Ever read about Bear Bryant's practices? They were insane.

https://www.espn.com/classic/s/dent_junction_08/02/01.html

I believe that Saban cares about this players and if they are not succeeding in academics they don't play,

Saban continued to stress the importance of finishing school and earning your degree, which he believes should be the ultimate goal for student-athletes.
“I mean everyday, you’re making a deposit for your future and your chances of being successful for your future. I think the difficulty and the sacrifice is well worth what it creates for a lot of players. I’m proud of the fact that we’ve graduated at a very high rate relative to everybody else — one of the top schools in the country. That’s our goal, to create value for our players. It is an opportunity. With an opportunity comes a burden. The burden is not necessarily easy so I get that. And you do it for your teammates and you do it for your future and your opportunity to be successful because you have a goal and an aspiration for what you want to accomplish and what you want to do in your life. I think it can make you a better parent. I think it can make you a better employee someday. I think it can make you a better at a lot of things.”

Just now, Sky Diver said:

I'm sure it's a grind. My school had an elite baseball team. None of the players were in difficult majors that I can recall. One was in accounting and he had to drop baseball.

Ever read about Bear Bryant's practices? They were insane.

https://www.espn.com/classic/s/dent_junction_08/02/01.html

I believe that Saban cares about this players and if they are not succeeding in academics they don't play,

Saban continued to stress the importance of finishing school and earning your degree, which he believes should be the ultimate goal for student-athletes.
“I mean everyday, you’re making a deposit for your future and your chances of being successful for your future. I think the difficulty and the sacrifice is well worth what it creates for a lot of players. I’m proud of the fact that we’ve graduated at a very high rate relative to everybody else — one of the top schools in the country. That’s our goal, to create value for our players. It is an opportunity. With an opportunity comes a burden. The burden is not necessarily easy so I get that. And you do it for your teammates and you do it for your future and your opportunity to be successful because you have a goal and an aspiration for what you want to accomplish and what you want to do in your life. I think it can make you a better parent. I think it can make you a better employee someday. I think it can make you a better at a lot of things.”

Remember one thing, these guys have a much different public persona. Behind the scenes they don't encourage same things they preach. The stakes have never been higher.

23 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I live near RPI. Some of their players are engineering students, I assume. I recall there was an Amerk player that had an EE degree from RPI. 

There was football player I knew at SU who was a ChemE major and he had a 3.8 GPA.

Not easy though for sure.

I have a sister that went to Alabama.  She's the smartest of 4 kids.  She majored in math and also speaks 4 languages.  She has worked in Germany, the Soviet Union and currently lives in Chicago.  Her ability to understand business math and contracts while also understanding multiple languages has made her wealthy.  I certainly do not disrespect Alabama's curriculum. Just because it's in the south doesn't automatically make it dumb.  There seems to be a bit of bias in this thread.

I also noticed that the OP is obviously a bit of homer for Alabama and that makes his point of view a bit biased as well.  No offense OP.

Point is, Alabama is not just known for their great football program, but it is a great place of learning as well.

14 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I have a sister that went to Alabama.  She's the smartest of 4 kids.  She majored in math and also speaks 4 languages.  She has worked in Germany, the Soviet Union and currently lives in Chicago.  Her ability to understand business math and contracts while also understanding multiple languages has made her wealthy.  I certainly do not disrespect Alabama's curriculum. Just because it's in the south doesn't automatically make it dumb.  There seems to be a bit of bias in this thread.

I also noticed that the OP is obviously a bit of homer for Alabama and that makes his point of view a bit biased as well.  No offense OP.

Point is, Alabama is not just known for their great football program, but it is a great place of learning as well.

None taken. Just doing my part to combat northeastern elitist ignorance. :)  I don't know when your sister graduated, but UA has done a great job of attracting elite students in recent years. Glad to hear that she is doing so well. Roll Tide!

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html

Edited by Sky Diver

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Business, marketing and Sports Administration.....are you claiming these are difficult to obtain.

I had a 2 sports admin classes in college.  I was taught (not lying at all) how to seed teams and create a bracket for rec league tournaments and the other was referring different sports.  

We were given those classes to keep our GPA's up because you basically made automatic A's and it kept you above the 12 hour limit to be eligible to play.  I didn't sign up for these classes, our Athletic Department Admin got us in.

100% correct.  I had two or 8 of those same type of classes and one class we learned the difference between NCAA and Intramural sports lol...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

IVY league schools don't offer athletic scholarships. Stanford isn't technically an Ivy League school, but it's elite. Stanford has good sports teams because they offer athletic scholarships.

Ivy leagues don't offer athletic scholarships but they do provide financial aid for athletes....which acts like a scholarship.

The Ivy Leagues don't have good teams because they have a much, much higher academic standard than all other schools.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ivy leagues don't offer athletic scholarships but they do provide financial aid for athletes....which acts like a scholarship.

The Ivy Leagues don't have good teams because they have a much, much higher academic standard than all other schools.

My understanding is that all financial aid is need based. Do they bend the rules for athletes?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Excellent comments from the greatest college coach of all time.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/08/nick_saban_football_isnt_any_m.html

I'll give you credit for one thing, you have defended your school staunchly, and while I may not agree with Saban's comments and think they're detached from reality, I applaud your efforts.  You've kept it respectful, refrained from makin anything personal, and made this a good debate to read.  Kudos to you sir.  

• Like (+1) 1

Jake Coker was a successful QB at Alabama. He gave up football after a knee injury. He had an undergrad degree in fiance and a Master's degree in Marketing as I recall. I believe that he got his MS while he was playing. He's from Mobile and sounds like Elvis. He works for a lumber company and appears to be doing okay.

http://www.dothaneagle.com/sports/alabama/jon-johnson-column-jake-coker-offers-unique-viewpoint-of-nick/article_35040628-8872-11e7-bf5a-1f189f5a35c7.html

9 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

I'll give you credit for one thing, you have defended your school staunchly, and while I may not agree with Saban's comments and think they're detached from reality, I applaud your efforts.  You've kept it respectful, refrained from makin anything personal, and made this a good debate to read.  Kudos to you sir.  

Thank you, sir.