Saban's response to Rosen's comments regarding the demands of college football

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Careful.  We may be on the cusp of having AJ McCarron as our starting QB this season.

Exactly.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bingo.  Rosen's initial comments were regarding football along with a demanding academic major.  The type of move a lot of "football factory" programs wouldn't even let players consider.  Saban isn't turning out future doctors and lawyers.

But that "Criminal Justice" degree comes in handy.

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Barrett Jones earned his BS/MS in accounting in 4 yrs. He finished undergrad with a 4.0. Accounting isn't easy especially at a top program like Alabama's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_Jones

That's because the student athletes keep having to take off their shoes to do all that cipherin'...

I think it's only difficult for the guys that really want to learn.  I went to school and had class with Kerry Collins and Kijana Carter at Penn State.  Even though both were in my class, I never saw them in ANY class except for the 1st one.

Also, why are we defending a future New York Jet and past Miami Dolphin?

So if it is so easy playing football and having a top end degree someone explain to me why 

Harvard, Yale and the IVY leagues are no longer competitive?

Y Notre Dame has a hard time landing recruits 

i mean all school Degree Programs are the same wouldnt as a too end athlete wouldnt you want to play for one of thise schools make it to league and get a prestigious degree as well?

oooo wait because they are not. No matter what comes out of the quitters mouth 

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Unsure what goes on in Exercise Science at Bama. But it is actually an incredibly difficult field, following a similar track to pre-med/bio and requires gross anatomy.  Might want to remove that one.

check out the kinesiology core these majors take  https://catalog.ua.edu/undergraduate/education/kinesiology/courses/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

Unsure what goes on in Exercise Science at Bama. But it is actually an incredibly difficult field, following a similar track to pre-med/bio and requires gross anatomy.  Might want to remove that one.

Not really, kineseology is the appropriate term. And its basically just a fancy way of describing pysical education. So yeah, its not as hard as it sounds, unless you think gym teachers are geniuses.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

check out the kinesiology core these majors take  https://catalog.ua.edu/undergraduate/education/kinesiology/courses/

Jesus, what a joke. I know tons of people with that degree coast to coast, and that wasn't anywhere near their class schedule. Just at a quick glance from UB Pre-Req's, those courses are harder, and that is just to be in the program.

https://sphhp.buffalo.edu/exercise-and-nutrition-sciences/education/exercise-science-bs/prerequisites.html

An aside, the USA has a real issue with physiology and exercise science, and it largely stems from football culture. The Australians, Swiss, Brittish, and Germans, do a far better job then we do. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly.

That's because the student athletes keep having to take off their shoes to do all that cipherin'...

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly.

UA has a top accounting program:

• Ranked 7th best undergrad and Ph.D. Accounting program in the nation by the 2017 Public Accounting Report, Masters is ranked 8th.
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Jesus, what a joke. I know tons of people with that degree coast to coast, and that wasn't anywhere near their class schedule. Just at a quick glance from UB Pre-Req's, those courses are harder, and that is just to be in the program.

https://sphhp.buffalo.edu/exercise-and-nutrition-sciences/education/exercise-science-bs/prerequisites.html

An aside, the USA has a real issue with physiology and exercise science, and it largely stems from football culture. The Australians, Swiss, Brittish, and Germans, do a far better job then we do. 

Yes. Lots of medical doctors think the field is a joke. And more psudo science than science 

2 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Not really, kineseology is the appropriate term. And its basically just a fancy way of describing pysical education. So yeah, its not as hard as it sounds, unless you think gym teachers are geniuses.

At the risk of sounding snarky, you probably do not interact much with high end physiologists. Because what the study is supposed to be, and what comes out of some universities, are two very different things. 

What you are describing is more akin to the difference between a nutritionist and a dietitian. You or I can be a nutritionist in about a month online, but a dietitian has an incredibly strong background in science. 

And much like you, Saban missed the entire point of what Rosen was saying, which is that the NCAA does very little, if anything, to help student athletes prepare for a future that does not include their college sport. That hasn't changed since Saban played, but it doesn't make it any less true. The NCAA has 0 interest in what happens to these kids once they stop playing. Alabama was used as an example, as was Clemson, but the point applied to all major colleges. They get athletically gifted kids in that otherwise never would have qualified to attend the school, and then put them through a light courseload with a tutor that does a lot of the work for them so they can focus on the sport. Then, at the end they have a degree they know very little about that isn't very applicable in the real world.

Again, Rosen isn't saying Alabama or Clemson are the bad guys. He's saying the NCAA is a steaming pile of crap and he's right.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

UA has a top accounting program:

• Ranked 7th best undergrad and Ph.D. Accounting program in the nation by the 2017 Public Accounting Report, Masters is ranked 8th.

That's nice. 

He must the be smartest one on the team.

Just now, MURPHD6 said:

Yes. Lots of medical doctors think the field is a joke. And more psudo science than science 

Physiology is absolutely not a joke. It is a very real study of science and the body. I wouldn't go to a doctor who thought otherwise. Again, for those in the back. Some Universities and con artists will take your money for a BS degree, or month long online course to give you some BS certification, that nobody in the field respects.  But you can work at your local gym and call yourself a trainer of some sorts. 

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

At the risk of sounding snarky, you probably do not interact much with high end physiologists. Because what the study is supposed to be, and what comes out of some universities, are two very different things. 

What you are describing is more akin to the difference between a nutritionist and a dietitian. You or I can be a nutritionist in about a month online, but a dietitian has an incredibly strong background in science. 

This is a fair debate. And no, I don't mind snark. Not alot of peolple interact with high end physiologists, because few exist. They are out there, absolutely. But not alot of them. 

Physiology is absolutely not a joke. It is a very real study of science and the body. I wouldn't go to a doctor who thought otherwise. Again, for those in the back. Some Universities and con artists will take your money for a BS degree, or month long online course to give you some BS certification, that nobody in the field respects.  But you can work at your local gym and call yourself a trainer of some sorts. 

Yes. This is exactly what I am talking about, actually. 

And you know that lots of Doctors are snarky !@#$s too, right, who think that sports science sucks, and that its not as important of other areas of research. 

And this is actually a problem, by the way, because its hard to find a doctor who has up to date, expertise in sports science. Its way sexier to be studying cancer treatments, and stuff like that.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bingo.  Rosen's initial comments were regarding football along with a demanding academic major.  The type of move a lot of "football factory" programs wouldn't even let players consider.  Saban isn't turning out future doctors and lawyers.

Greg McElroy, a former QB at Alabama, was a Rhodes Scholar finalist and was a grad student while playing football at UA. Last I checked, Rosen hasn't even earned a degree.

• Like (+1) 1