If Browns/Allen rumor has merit......

Does this mean the Bills have Allen as their #1 QB?

Hear this out.....since we're all dying for another trade....and it's just fun to speculate.  

Could it explain why we haven't traded up into the 4 or perhaps even #1 spot?  

If the Browns want Allen they can surely get him at 4, right?  The Giants like Darnold and the Jets Rosen.  If this is the belief then why haven't we traded up to say 6-8 then make a huge offer for #1 overall with Cleveland. 

Shouldn't Cleveland be listening to all offers for that first pick feeling pretty good that at 4 you'll get Allen (best case for them per their board; or one of Darnold Rosen and Baker).  Don't you do this all day?  Cleveland still has #4.  Then another pick between 6 and 8.  And probably next years first and more.  This actually makes more sense then trading the #4.  

But you don't because you feel and I bet you know the Bills want Allen.  Or someone in that top 3 does.  

I think the Bills have Allen #1.

Edited by Big Blitz
Phrasing

No.....no they don't.  At least they better not.  Josh Allen is not the type of player you trade multiple good players and multiple first and 2nd round picks to acquire.  They do that, and he flops like most think he will, we'll be looking for a new coach and front office sooner than we want to be. 

There is no way this front office gives up virtually everything they have to take a chance on Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Hear this out.....since we're all dying for another trade....and it's just fun to speculate.  

Could it explain why we haven't traded up into the 4 and perhaps even #1 spot?  

If the Browns want Allen they can surely get him at 4, right?  The Giants like Darnold and the Jets Rosen.  If this is the belief then why haven't we traded up to say 6-8 then make a huge offer for #1 overall with Cleveland. 

Shouldn't Cleveland be listening to all offers for that first pick feeling pretty good that at 4 you'll get Allen (best case for them per their board; or one of Darnold Rosen and Baker).  Don't you do this all day?  Cleveland stil has #4.  Then another pick between 6 and 8.  And probably next years first and more.  This actually makes more sense then trading the #4.  

But you don't because you feel and I bet you know the Bills want Allen.  Or someone in that top 3 does.  

I have to believe that the Bills are ok with any of the four QBs.  They are going to go up and get one of those four.  If they can't find a willing trade partner, I guess they stay back and then draft Lamar Jackson.  May be he is more a better version of Cam Newton than a Tyrod Taylor.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I think the Bills are going to take whoever's at 12. They'll probably be fine with Allen, Mayfield, or Jackson. They're probably fine with Rudolph too, but could get him at 22.

this seems likely to me as well.  McD needs a strong MLB, of which there are a few in this draft.  

IFFFFFF the Browns have Allen at 1 it isn't because they are the Browns, because they are stupid or because they fail to see his flaws and risks.  It is because they see the flaws and risks of:

Sam Darnold who makes Dave Krieg look like a protector of the ball

Baker Mayfield whose Flutieesque size and Manzielesque attitude are risks and

Josh Rosen who may make Rob Johnson look like Cal Ripken

They are all risk/reward.  But.....the top three teams need to take a QB for various reasons. My guess is that one of the four pans out....maybe even excels and the other three flop.  My guess is Mayfield but it is a guess.

Honestly think about all you read from many sources about these guys.  How many times do you see sentences like:

Qb x does skill y at an elite NFL Qb such as HOFer QB z?  Not often.  There are more sentences like:. If a then b QB x might end up solid.  In other years, you read specific things about specific guys.  This year I read specific positives about Allen's arm strength and Jackson's electricity and that's it.  The QB rush seems based on quantity.

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Could it explain why we haven't traded up into the 4 or perhaps even #1 spot?  

Shouldn't Cleveland be listening to all offers for that first pick feeling pretty good that at 4 you'll get Allen (best case for them per their board; or one of Darnold Rosen and Baker).  Don't you do this all day?  Cleveland still has #4.  Then another pick between 6 and 8.  And probably next years first and more.  This actually makes more sense then trading the #4.  

How do you know the Giants like Sam Darnold?  How do you know the Jets like Josh Rosen?

Almost everything being put out this time of year is a lie. 

GMs purposely put out false information to throw the other teams off.  Agents purposely make-up interest in their clients to push them up the draft boards.  Reporters gladly report every unsubstantiated rumor they can find, because it gets them clicks and attention.

Peter King's report yesterday (Browns prefer Josh Allen #1) comes from an "anonymous friend" of GM John Dorsey.  Why does King think Dorsey is sharing his draft board with friends?  How is King confident this friend isn't totally making the story up?  How does King know the story isn't being planted on purpose?  I find it embarrassing that anyone in the media can report something like this as news.

Guessing is fun.  And sometimes you can get clues by the way teams act.  But most of the "interest" reports this time of year are a total smokescreen.

To answer the question of whether the Bills have Allen as their top guy, I'd ask another question.  Are the Bills looking for someone who can come in and compete and possibly be the starter immediately, or are they looking to find a guy with talent that needs to sit for a little while?  IF they are looking for the former, there's no way Allen can be their top guy.

6 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

To answer the question of whether the Bills have Allen as their top guy, I'd ask another question.  Are the Bills looking for someone who can come in and compete and possibly be the starter immediately, or are they looking to find a guy with talent that needs to sit for a little while?  IF they are looking for the former, there's no way Allen can be their top guy.

My thinking exactly, and I don't think you wait unitl free agency is over, and all the QBs are gone save one (AJ), pay him 5 M/yr, because you're interested in a project draft pick (Allen). The Browns are another story, they may feel like TT can give them a 1-2 years.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

How do you know the Giants like Sam Darnold?  How do you know the Jets like Josh Rosen?

Almost everything being put out this time of year is a lie. 

GMs purposely put out false information to throw the other teams off.  Agents purposely make-up interest in their clients to push them up the draft boards.  Reporters gladly report every unsubstantiated rumor they can find, because it gets them clicks and attention.

Peter King's report yesterday (Browns prefer Josh Allen #1) comes from an "anonymous friend" of GM John Dorsey.  Why does King think Dorsey is sharing his draft board with friends?  How is King confident this friend isn't totally making the story up?  How does King know the story isn't being planted on purpose?  I find it embarrassing that anyone in the media can report something like this as news.

Guessing is fun.  And sometimes you can get clues by the way teams act.  But most of the "interest" reports this time of year are a total smokescreen.

Peter Kings column is much more of a free flowing thoughts piece than any sort of news reporting.  And "a friend of Dorsey" is putting that out there so Browns fans are ready when they take Allen instead of Darnold.  It's absolutely planted on purpose, Peter knows that, the Browns have no reason to smoke screen anything if they are leaking Allen it's so their fans know what to expect and don't riot over the choice.

People need to accept Allen has the best physical tools in the QB class and comes from a system that's developed pro QBs.  Oklahoma & USC have a reputation to turning out NFL busts at the QB position.  

IF it's true that the Bills are 'trying like hell' to move up, it seems to me they really like someone.  And that someone can't be the same QB they think the Browns like because that's the one team we can't jump over.  Beane must believe he's targeting someone that will be available after the Brown's pick. 

Allen?  It's possible, I suppose but I just don't see Allen as someone worth the cost of moving up into the top 5.   

• Like (+1) 1

Tis the season of speculation. 

The problem here is you are picking and choosing what rumors and speculation to believe. There is so much crap out there, it's hard to discern what is real. 

THis_is_too_much.gif

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Exactly!  

Most mock drafts can't even get the top 7 picks right.  Unless the Browns reveal who they're taking or Jay Glazer reports it, it's all just a guessing game.

I personally think the Giants like Rosen and the Jets like Mayfield.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

IFFFFFF the Browns have Allen at 1 it isn't because they are the Browns, because they are stupid or because they fail to see his flaws and risks.  It is because they see the flaws and risks of:

Sam Darnold who makes Dave Krieg look like a protector of the ball

Baker Mayfield whose Flutieesque size and Manzielesque attitude are risks and

Josh Rosen who may make Rob Johnson look like Cal Ripken

They are all risk/reward.  But.....the top three teams need to take a QB for various reasons. My guess is that one of the four pans out....maybe even excels and the other three flop.  My guess is Mayfield but it is a guess.

Honestly think about all you read from many sources about these guys.  How many times do you see sentences like:

Qb x does skill y at an elite NFL Qb such as HOFer QB z?  Not often.  There are more sentences like:. If a then b QB x might end up solid.  In other years, you read specific things about specific guys.  This year I read specific positives about Allen's arm strength and Jackson's electricity and that's it.  The QB rush seems based on quantity.

no stereotyping going on on this post. 

which NFL team do you work for?  hmmmmm exactly