RUMOR: Browns to take Wyoming QB Josh Allen #1 Overall per Peter King

This would be horrible for us and would represent worst case scenario.  Then Darnold goes #2 to the Giants if the reports are true that he is the top player on their draft board.  Rosen goes 3 to the Jets.  Mayfield goes 5 to the Broncos.  We are left with nobody!!!

1. Allen

2. Darnold

3. Rosen

4. Barkley or Chubb

5. Mayfield

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

I hurt as much as you... but for the conspiracy theorists maybe that was all smoke and there's a chance Darnold could be 'bought' at 2..

Best chance we have at not getting shut out if this was the case would be Giants to take Barkley

Giants - Barkley

Jets - Rosen

Bills (after trading up as CLE misses Barkley) - Mayfield 

I think the Giants take Chubb. Could fit with the rumor of needing 5 to get to 2. Giants are going to take him at 2 unless they are pretty confident to get him at 5. If Denver knows they don’t want to take QB and know they are stymied on chubb that could be their motivation to take the package and move down. 

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

This would be horrible for us and would represent worst case scenario.  Then Darnold goes #2 to the Giants if the reports are true that he is the top player on their draft board.  Rosen goes 3 to the Jets.  Mayfield goes 5 to the Broncos.  We are left with nobody!!!

1. Allen

2. Darnold

3. Rosen

4. Barkley or Chubb

5. Mayfield

Yep worst case for Bills getting a QB

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

Allen one is not a good thing. That means the Giants don't trade and we're stuck, at best, getting Baker 4-9

Sounds pretty good to me.

Apologies ladies and gents. The first two social media sports posts I saw on it listed it to sound like fact rather than just a rumor. Updated the OP and title for clarity. 

Edited by SoCoBills

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

1. Allen

2. Darnold

3. Rosen

4. Barkley or Chubb

5. Mayfield

Good point. That's how you get a Jackson, and are looking at a new QB in three more years.

Now I'm nervous.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

Take it for what it’s worth. If true then wow, the Browns are still the Browns. What a mistake in the making. 

To be fair, I have seen a number of comments from GM's who believe Allen is the best QB prospect in the draft and the accuracy stat doesn't tell the whole picture.  Now... I do NOT agree with that, but only point is that the Browns don't seem to be alone in thinking Allen is top QB prospect.  He is obviously a strong QB prospect and certain first rounder, I just prefer Baker and Darnold.  

If the following 3 rumors are true, then its bad for Bills:

1. Beane is "trying like hell" to get into top 5
  2. Browns will take Allen #1.
  3. Giants wont trade #2 if Darnold is on the board at 2

If Browns go Allen #1, that puts Darnold on the board and takes what might be the only chance for Beane to trade up into the top 5 off the board.  Or, it will make Beane have to pay an even bigger ransom to get the Giants out of that spot as they could be saying the Darnold stuff to drive up the price tag from the Bills.  And if the rumors are true about Beane trying like hell, he might just pay it.  

Allen going #1 is probably worst case scenario for Bills if those rumors above are true.  There is still the Browns #4 pick, but I seriously doubt they trade it away given either (or both) Barkley and Chubb will be on the board.  They need to take one of those guys, they got enough draft picks and I expect them to stay at 4. 

One interesting story is the rumor that the Broncos really like Mason Rudolph...that is what the Bills NEED to be true to have any real shot at getting into the top 5 if those 3 rumors above are accurate.  The Broncos can trade down to 12 and still get Mason.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

We could only be so lucky that the browns would do something like this.  Gmens price for #2 would probably go up if they really like darnold though.  Ugh.

Edited by NewEra

I think a case could be made on both sides, namely, 1) this would be a great move by the Browns, or 2) This is not a smart move by the Browns.

For the first, I think you could look at it this way.

1)  The Browns are not in a position to win the division and they have a Bridge QB in TT.

2)  By the time Allen is ready, Ben has retired from Pitt; Flacco is out of Baltimore and Dalton is either out of Cincy or out of the league.

3)  Allen takes over in two years and leads the Browns to division contention.  Plus in all of that time, several more pieces have been placed around him.

For the second argument

1)  Allen's lack of accuracy and completion percentage cannot be glossed over as easy fixes.  This is a major concern for a top 5 pick.

2)  He's a project and with a top 5 pick, you need to be a bit safer than that.

3)  If you miss on Allen at #1 when Cleveland has missed too many times, you're in trouble.  You keep the franchise in purgatory and you are most likely shining up your resume.

11 minutes ago, LedyardCTbillsfan said:

God that would be awesome but I don't buy it.

As good as it sounds on the surface I almost think it might hurt us....Giants would then take a qb as well as the Jets...if the Browns take Darnold Giants would likely pass on a qbQBs

2018 NFL Draft report: Josh Allen is the QB that Buffalo Bills are most interested in, but why?

623331608.jpg.0.jpg

Are you on board with the the Bills drafting the big, former Wyoming passer?

According to Denver-based NFL journalist Benjamin Allbright, the Buffalo Bills have shared with several people that Allen is the quarterback that they’re targeting.

Additionally, Allbright says that one of his sources that informed him about the Bills interest in Allen also told him last year that the team was going after Nathan Peterman in last year’s draft, who of course is now on the Bills’ roster.

Why the Bills should be enticed by Allen

Besides Wentz, Allen could be the next Andrew Luck or Ben Roethlisberger - a big strapping passer to whom teams can feel comfortable handing over the keys to the franchise.

For as much talk as there is about Allen potentially being taken No. 1 overall, there’s nearly as much chatter about him sliding a bit because of his stats, which gives the Bills a pretty good chance at landing the QB should they find a way to move into the top 5 of the draft order like it’s expected that they desire to.

Why Allen should scare the them

After finally returning to the playoffs after 17 years, it doesn’t seem like now is the ideal time for the Bills to take on a developmental project at quarterback, especially with AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman as the only other quarterbacks on their roster.

Furthermore, It doesn’t make sense for the Bills to have just traded away a steady performer in Tyrod Taylor just to then turn around and draft one of, if not this year’s biggest, boom-or-bust QB prospects.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

13 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

1. Allen

2. Darnold

3. Rosen

4. Barkley or Chubb

5. Mayfield

I read a rumor that the Broncos are a little sour on Mayfiend now because apparently working with him at the Senior Bowl sounds like it didn't go well.

• Like (+1) 1