VGK win division

49 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

You were b*tching that ESPN was pushing soccer.

I explained why.

I felt that zlatan's kick was better than karlsson's.

Obviously they did too.

Right.

I felt zlatan's was better.

It was an amazing play, in his debut, which he will be under intense scrutiny, to score two great goals and win the game.

Another poster was whining that ESPN is "trying to push the pansy game of soccer" and that was the reason that the NHL play was "only #2" on the top10.

I left that part out, but was just pointing out that ESPN didn't have an agenda in regards to the play ranking.

I think a game winning, short handed, between the leg trick shot to clinch the division as an expansion team was a better play than a straight ahead kick by player in his debut. 

Ive seen dozens of kicks like that, but I can’t remember the last time I saw a goal like Karlsson’s. 

To each his own, but you’re wrong on which isn’t the better play. 

I can't believe the Knights this year. My parents live in Vegas and I was telling them they should get season tix, but alas they did not. An exceptional year one for an expansion team. I live in Seattle and we are likely getting an expansion team in the coming years... can't imagine it'll be as memorable of a season.

7 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

As much as I love the Sabres, I have been a Las Vegas resident since 2001.  It has been an amazing season for the Golden Knights. 

That goal by Karlsson was a thing of beauty.

It is going to be fun to see how this upstart team (Las Vegas born) can do in the playoffs.  Each player plays with a chip on his shoulder.   On their opening night they had a moving ceremony honoring the victims and survivors of the 1 October shooting.   Last night, their last home game of the regular season, they raised a banner with the names of the 58 players that list their lives in the shooting.   They announced that the number 58 would never be worn by a Golden Knight.

This town has embraced the team in an amazing fashion.  I doubt that the raiders will get that kind of support from the Las Vegas fan base.

Go Knights!!!

I was going to ask how folks have taken to the Knights. Hockey is probably the last sport you would think would work in the desert Southwest. Although the ECHL Wranglers did very well for years at the Orleans Arena. 

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I was going to ask how folks have taken to the Knights. Hockey is probably the last sport you would think would work in the desert Southwest. Although the ECHL Wranglers did very well for years at the Orleans Arena. 

The town has more than embraced the knights. Every practice, even on weekdays, is standing room only with people waiting out the doors. You can’t go anywhere in town without seeing VGK gear. I am now looking forward to getting the Raiders in 2 years, and a MLB team in 5 years.

22 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The people in Las Vegas are nuts about the Knights. I doubt they stay that way. Back when we had the Las Vegas Thunder of the IHL, they started off the same as the Knights, they were really good and they used to get 14-15,000 a night at the Thomas and Mack Center, but over the years, as the excitement wore off and the team started to suck, the attendance plummeted. The last season they were there we went to a few games and there were only 3-4,000 people in the building, then the team folded. Pretty much every other "Pro" sports team there has suffered a similar fate, the fans come in droves at first, but it doesn't last and the team eventually folds, hopefully I'm wrong, we'll see.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes they did.  The Wranglers had a loyal following.

Hockey is doing well in Phoenix  and Southern California as well.  The support in Las Vegas is amazing.

1 hour ago, Amaru523 said:

The people in Las Vegas are nuts about the Knights. I doubt they stay that way. Back when we had the Las Vegas Thunder of the IHL, they started off the same as the Knights, they were really good and they used to get 14-15,000 a night at the Thomas and Mack Center, but over the years, as the excitement wore off and the team started to suck, the attendance plummeted. The last season they were there we went to a few games and there were only 3-4,000 people in the building, then the team folded. Pretty much every other "Pro" sports team there has suffered a similar fate, the fans come in droves at first, but it doesn't last and the team eventually folds, hopefully I'm wrong, we'll see.

I hope that is not the case.   The ownership and GM remind me of the Bills brain trust.   They have made all the right moves over the last year.  Let's hope they can sustain their success.

3 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I think a game winning, short handed, between the leg trick shot to clinch the division as an expansion team was a better play than a straight ahead kick by player in his debut. 

Ive seen dozens of kicks like that, but I can’t remember the last time I saw a goal like Karlsson’s. 

To each his own, but you’re wrong on which isn’t the better play. 

It was a 40+ yard kick with topspin that curved over the goalkeeper into the top corner of the net.

It wasn't a "straight ahead kick"

It also was the inaugural Galaxy vs LAFC crosstown game, with the debut of the biggest free agent ever to come to MLS, as he is still one of the biggest stars in the world of soccer/futbol, from the English premier league, from one of the biggest clubs in the world, man U.

When the crowd was chanting for him to come into the game, he can't in, and delivered that goal, then a header goal in OT to win 4-3.

Don't act like the Vegas game, though it clinched the division, was some incredible game to end the season, they are now up 9 points with 4 to play.

If they lost in OT it would have been 7 points with 4 to play.

They could have lost, then finished the season 1-3 with regulation loses, or 0-4 with two OT loses, the sharks going 4-0 and still clinched.

Again, his goal was fantastic, so was zlatan's.

I'm not downplaying either, but don't act like the zlatan goal was some "routine tap be in" then overblow the significance of the San Jose game to clinch the division, they it locked up already.

So yes, to each his own, and they were close plays, but you are dead wrong with acting like zlatan's was trash and easy and wasn't a "big moment" while acting like the the hockey goal was the greatest thing ever in the biggest moment ever.

50 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Cool.  That sounds like a lot of fun.  Thanks.

It is for sure.  First couple weeks I’d recommend getting there by 8 or so to get a decent seat.  It’s a dive bar with amazing food and bartenders are a good time

5 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Everything going forward is icing on the cake for me with my Golden Knights. I can’t wait to see some exciting games this post season, but I am hoping the cheap shotting, punks from LA don’t make it. Ef them. 

:beer:

If you guys haven't been to a game IN Vegas yet, you need to make it a priority. Even mid-week games are crazy energetic and wild. I have been told by multiple fans of other teams that VGK games in T-Mobile Arena are second to none. The only bad thing about the games are the $18 beers, other than that, we put on one hell of an event. GO KNIGHTS GO!

• 2 weeks later...

Why the F are Bills fans still arguing about ESPN?

I thought we settled this, ages ago. Now I come back and find the same old arguments, on both sides? Let's skip to the end: ESPN is a dying creature. It has been dying ever since the Internet. Back in the day, NFL Primetime, and Sunday Sportscenter was required viewing, because that was where we got to see all the stuff we didn't see. The extended highlights, with Berman's act, was an amazing, unique experience. So was Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman's year-round hilarity. (Interestingly, Dan Patrick still has a job with a national audience, Keith Olbermann was last seen podcasting from GQ's lunchroom. Gee, I wonder why? :lol:)

But, now, any of us can see any highlight, or an entire game, any time we chose. And, ESPN broke itself the day the left their standard Sunday night plan, and began broadcasting games instead. They've never had the same ratings. You give Chris Berman et al an hour, just like you give Michaelangelo an entire ceiling. You don't break either up into segments and expect the same results. They would have had a chance if they relied on talent == Berman can crush any Youtuber. Instead: they relied on "branding" :rolleyes: .

Then, in a last-ditch effort to save itself, ESPN decided to do more "journalism"....which is weird, because it already was doing great sports journalism. No. It decided to do some sort of inane "let's find stories where they are least likely to exist" examining(yellow muckraking?), not journalism at all. "Let's bore the hell out of audience with Social Justice nonsense, virtue signaling, and talking more about what happens off the field, than on it!" That was their grand plan. 

It failed, as miserably as it failed obviously.

Now, they have culled ALL of their journalists, and are back to the 1980s model: "just talk about sports headlines, because we can't afford to do anything else".

People! ESPN is dying. Don't concern yourselves with what is now just one of many click-bating sports enterprises.