Baker Mayfield

19 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

His mechanics and feet are fine. 

He gets good depth in his 5 and 7 step drops i have seen him make. So I have no concerns in his ability to make drops from under center 

I agree. The kid has played QB since grade school. It would take him all of one practice to relearn the position from under center. Of course to become proficient, he would need repetitions. I think that not playing under center is one of the least important minuses when they evaluate QBs.

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

His mechanics and feet are fine. 

He gets good depth in his 5 and 7 step drops i have seen him make. So I have no concerns in his ability to make drops from under center 

Dropping from the shotgun and the center are not the same thing.  How can you have "no concerns" about it?

Edited by {::'KayCeeS::}
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Honest question: do you think it's a fad?  the tilted shotgun ratio, i mean?  it's something i think about...

I remember when the NFL started tilting to passing more than rushing, and people thought that was just part of the ebs and flow of the game.

Not a fad.

Shotgun allows for younger QBs to enter the league and produce immediately. They spend their entire careers playing spread or shotgun, then have to learn something different for the NFL. It isn't logical. It's like training a doctor to do a surgery a certain way for 8 years, they get their license, and now they have to perform it differently. 

Also, in shotgun you have more playmakers on the field typically, you have a better vantage point to read the field presnap, and can run the ball just as effectively. 

The only advantage I see to under the center snaps is the ability to run play action. For the case of the Bills, we have Shady McCoy who is historically better running out of shotgun. Us being one of the few teams that ran under center a majority of the time shows how truly horrific the Dennison hiring, coaching, and offense as a whole was. Totally unfit for personnel, totally unfit for today's game.

I hope Daboll brings something new to the table or we will be watching more of the same unless we strike absolute gold with our young QB. I'm worried the conservative, calculated nature of our FO will leave us with a spread QB like Mason Rudolph, since a guy we liked better didn't fall, and we try to fit a square peg into a round hole with a throwback under center offense. 

Edited by Elite Poster

The honest truth is physical visibility + psychological knack = success.  Drew, Russell, they have to be way better in certain ways than Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.  Just a fact.  Which makes what they do even that more impressive.  As Meanie said in his thread, to be a QB, you have be the 1 percent of the 1 percent.  An if you're undersized?....

Reality: 99% of eyes in heads are in similar locations relative to size.

But I think this is an April Fool's Thread :D

21 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Dropping from the shotgun and the center are not the same thing.  How can you have "no concerns" about it?

Because I have watching him drop from center as well. At his proday for example. He has good feet and solid mechanics. He gets the proper depth (might be a little fast in the drop but can be addressed) 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Because I have watching him drop from center as well. At his proday for example. He has good feet and solid mechanics. He gets the proper depth (might be a little fast in the drop but can be addressed) 

I get you.

But you will agree that pro days mean pretty much nothing?  I mean, he might as well be Allen then, if gameday experience is negligable.

Just saying: I'm not a Mayfield hater, I actually like the guy quite a lot.  But just trying to call a spade a spade.

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

Looking at Baker Mayfield's 2017 highlights I love his accuracy and movement in the pocket.  However, my concern is he played exclusively from the shotgun in a spread offense.  Did not see many "tight window" throws and many of his completions were based on hitting wide open receivers based on scheme and match-up advantages.

I'm wondering how long it will take Mayfield to learn to play under center and how is his footwork.

I like everything else about him and although I don't like that he's only 6'1", I think his pocket movement will alleviate that height concern.

What is the boards thoughts on this?

...pretty interesting question even if the yipsters yap about repetitive thread.....so much has been made about collegiate spread and/or Air Raid QB's hesitancy/avoidance yet the Mayfield kid seems to be widely accepted here......why the hesitancy about collegiate spread and/or Air Raid QB's., yet he seems to pass the grade?.....BIGGER question is that we have NO idea what McBeane/McD/McDaboll envision as THEIR type of offense and as to whether Mayfield kid fits or can be groomed to fit......"character issues" could become secondary in their big picture analysis.....

1 minute ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

I get you.

But you will agree that pro days mean pretty much nothing?  I mean, he might as well be Allen then, if gameday experience is negligable.

Just saying: I'm not a Mayfield hater, I actually like the guy quite a lot.  But just trying to call a spade a spade.

Prodays are negligable when it comes to alot. However a guy in drops or the mechanics of a QB do matter. You can tell if they are not smooth, struggle or forced (see Tebow). 

Mayfield though didnt looked forced, struggle in drops. They were smooth just a bit faster than I would expect like rushing them as opposed to proper timing. 

I do have issues with Mayfield but playing from under center in terms of mechanics and drops isnt one of them. 

15 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I remember when the NFL started tilting to passing more than rushing, and people thought that was just part of the ebs and flow of the game.

Not a fad.

Shotgun allows for younger QBs to enter the league and produce immediately. They spend their entire careers playing spread or shotgun, then have to learn something different for the NFL. It isn't logical. It's like training a doctor to do a surgery a certain way for 8 years, they get their license, and now they have to perform it differently. 

Also, in shotgun you have more playmakers on the field typically, you have a better vantage point to read the field presnap, and can run the ball just as effectively. 

The only advantage I see to under the center snaps is the ability to run play action. For the case of the Bills, we have Shady McCoy who is historically better running out of shotgun. Us being one of the few teams that ran under center a majority of the time shows how truly horrific the Dennison hiring, coaching, and offense as a whole was. Totally unfit for personnel, totally unfit for today's game.

I hope Daboll brings something new to the table or we will be watching more of the same unless we strike absolute gold with our young QB. I'm worried the conservative, calculated nature of our FO will leave us with a spread QB like Mason Rudolph, since a guy we liked better didn't fall, and we try to fit a square peg into a round hole with a throwback under center offense. 

Thank you for responding in such an intelligent manner.  I think we hired Daboll precisely to make us current with the RPO.  I think Shady would be fantastic in an RPO offense.  But who will run it?  Everyone seems to love McCarron, so I do too...? :unsure: