Are We a Playoff Team with A.J. ?

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

At the end of the day he is what he is. McCarron can be a smart, tough, game manager that can keep you afloat for a month. It was a good signing at the price and with the need. He’s a decent bridge option and a really good #2. His skill set is limited though. Anyone that expects him to come in and light up the scoreboard hasn’t watched a lot of McCarron. That’s not who he is. He’s actually a poor man’s Tyrod in a lot of ways. He has less physical skills but a lot of the same “won’t lose you games” approach. He has won a lot in his life playing that style. McCarron was a fantastic addition at that price but isn’t likely the long-term guy.

Good assessment.  I have said he's a decent option as a bridge/backup.  I'm glad the Bills signed him, but I look forward to the draft with the hope of acquiring the future franchise QB. 

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good assessment.  I have said he's a decent option as a bridge/backup.  I'm glad the Bills signed him, but I look forward to the draft with the hope of acquiring the future franchise QB. 

From a purely financial standpoint, this signing was a mixture of pure genius and grand larceny because of the stupid $$$ QB's are getting on the open market. If the kid pans out, it will be one of the best FA signings of the decade 

Edited by MILFHUNTER#518
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

From a purely financial standpoint, this signing was a mixture of pure genius and grand larceny because of the stupid $$$ QB's are getting on the open market. If the kid pans out, it will be one of the best FA signings of the decade 

The way I see things, it's a win for both him and the Bills.  The Bills get at least a bridge/backup QB and he gets a chance to compete for a starting job. 

Is Daboll smart enough to get Case Keenum or nick foles production?  

A few few things would have to happen that are possible in order to get us to the playoffs. Zay Jones bounces back and becomes a nice wr. Draft stud mlb, slot wr, ot, dt. Don’t have to be studs but nice productive guys. Similar to Dawkins who was a second round guy.  

So we need great coaching and great drafting. Impossible without

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Again, he averaged 208 yards per game in CIN with a great receiving corps which is something that we do not have in BUF.  Go get your hopes up too high. 

A young kid playing in his first four games, one being a playoff game. Probably not much worse than Peyton's first four games. We shall see.

1 minute ago, billykay said:

A young kid playing in his first four games, one being a playoff game. Probably not much worse than Peyton's first four games. We shall see.

That's a pretty weak excuse with that being his 2nd season on a stacked offensive team and the prevelance of QBs playing early these days in the NFL.  Wait, did you just mention Peyton Manning in reference to AJM? 

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's a pretty weak excuse with that being his 2nd season on a stacked offensive team and the prevelance of QBs playing early these days in the NFL.  Wait, did you just mention Peyton Manning in reference to AJM? 

It may have been his second season, but it was still his first few games that we are talking about. They won two of those games and would have probably won the Playoff game had not his RB fumbled while trying to use clock near the end of the game. From what I remember, the Pittsburgh pass rush was all over him the whole game. Tough position for a kid in his first playoff game.

No need to be snarky re: my mentioning of Peyton Manning. I was just trying to show an analagous situation regarding even future Hall of Fame QBs. Of course, I thing that you knew that.

• Thank you (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, billykay said:

It may have been his second season, but it was still his first few games that we are talking about. They won two of those games and would have probably won the Playoff game had not his RB fumbled while trying to use clock near the end of the game. From what I remember, the Pittsburgh pass rush was all over him the whole game. Tough position for a kid in his first playoff game.

No need to be snarky re: my mentioning of Peyton Manning. I was just trying to show an analagous situation regarding even future Hall of Fame QBs. Of course, I thing that you knew that.

A "young kid" who played okay. Nothing snarky about it regarding the Manning comment because it's not a realistic comparison to make. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

For the record. AJM won his arbitration case well before Free Agency.  He simply misjudged the market with the thought he'd be in demand.   He wasn't. 

Oh so he does read my posts.  

The QB’s taken before him were starters at one time were they not?  

How many backups FA’s were signed to be a potential starter before AJ? 

New toy Garappolo doesn’t count as he wasn’t a FA 

Tough question to answer.  My gut is telling me we're looking at 9-7 again...but what I'm really unsure of is if it will be enough to get in.  I...I'm going to say 'yes', and rather then backing in, I have a hunch a key Week 17 victory, perhaps an upset, gets them in.

Last year's team overachieved, yes.  But let's not overlook the positives of that.   Be it coaching, heart, or a combination of the two, they did more then looked possible on paper.  Nothing saying with the same coach and changing culture that doesn't happen again and this team pulls a few more surprises.

Tyrod is an anomoly, the ultimate baseline.  He is a die that only rolls '3' or '4'.  He kept some games close, but when the game neared the end if we were behind he couldn't give us the high rolls we needed.  He took us as far as be could, and will do well in Cleveland, where 8-8 would be adored.  We hit TT's ceiling, and when Cleveland finally does, their rookie should be ready.  That being said, we don't know what AJ will bring.  There is a very limited body of work to go by, and it doesn't include Bills' players, coaches, or schemes.  What he does give is a chance to be better then TT and the risk of being worse.

If nothing else, I'm hoping he's willing to throw deep.  Keep in mind McCoy was running uphill.  Having a star running back and a QB that only throws short makes defense easier.  You put eleven players, a couple cheerleaders and an assistant coach in the box and dare TT to throw deep.  Hopefully AJ, if he's playing, will at least stretch out the D and make the offense less predictable.

For every game we barely won thanks to turnovers or such, there were games we barely lost, such as the Panthers and Bengels.  I think we're going to gain and lose ground in equal measure this year, but our long-term outlook will look better.  And, if nothing else, I think it will be entertaining.

• Like (+1) 1

On March 30, 2018 at 4:09 PM, reddogblitz said:

Didn't you learn anything last year?

Yes. Leslie Frazier is a great DC and the coaching by McD was very good too, but he needs to work on clock mgmnt skills. No HC did more with less talent.

On 3/29/2018 at 7:09 PM, Looper said:

Assuming we don't get one of the big 4 QBs, are we a playoff team with A.J. ? Or are we the 2017 Browns and the #1 seed to get Drew Luck, Jacob Eason, or Jarrett Stidham next year ? 

Is it worth even using a draft pick on Rudolph or Jackson ? 

Yes. This team believes in itself. It willed itself to 9 wins without an offense and a leaky defense.  With the additions with the number of draft picks this team does have it in them to go into the playoffs again even with AJ.

• Like (+1) 1