Bucs GM on GMFB: Contacted about Trade-Back UPDATE: Bills were the team

KDIGGZ

14 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

they can trade with us knowing we are taking a QB and the player they were going to take anyways will still be there

but my reasoning for trading to 7 now is to get have the time to work out a deal for 2.  worst case, you get stuck at 7 but most likely you can trade up again from there

Yep.

Worst case you move up to 7, you still see the 4 QBs go before you, but you just gave up a 2nd and you get one of Chubb, Barkley, Nelson or Fitzpatrick, guys who would never make it to 12 anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

they can trade with us knowing we are taking a QB and the player they were going to take anyways will still be there

True, but I still think you have to see how at least the top 4 picks play out.  If Chubb and Barkley go in the first 4 picks then I think you can relax a little.  Not much, but a little.  But if three QB's go in the first 4 picks then you have to hope Denver will accept 7 and let us move into 5 or Cleveland will accept what we have and be willing to give up 4.  But if we move into 7 now, it gives GM's of Zona and Miami time to make a stupid deal to cripple their franchise and jump in front of us IF Denver or Cleveland are willing to sell those picks.  And if that happens we are stuck at 7 and better not take Jackson or Rudolph there just because we need a QB.

Edited by NewEraBills

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

but my reasoning for trading to 7 now is to get have the time to work out a deal for 2.  worst case, you get stuck at 7 but most likely you can trade up again from there

Agreed. Making a move to 7 doesn't mean you are done. It just helps trading up even more.

10 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

True, but I still think you have to see how at least the top 4 picks play out.  If Chubb and Barkley go in the first 4 picks then I think you can relax a little.  Not much, but a little.  But if three QB's go in the first 4 picks then you have to hope Denver will accept 7 and let us move into 5 or Cleveland will accept what we have and be willing to give up 4.  But if we move into 7 now, it gives GM's of Zona and Miamia time to make a stupid deal to cripple their franchise and jump in front of us IF Denver or Cleveland are willing to sell those picks.

Zona and Miami already have that time, even to move to 7.  You just don't know how the price could change, you get into draft night and Mayfield or Rosen is the only guy left at pick 7 and suddenly you've got Buffalo, Miami, Arizona, etc all really throwing offers at you.  If Tampa is open to moving back now for any sort of reasonable price, do it.  They are down a 3rd already from the JPP trade, they may be happy with any one of Ward / James / Edmonds / Roquan, feel comfortable of getting one at 12 and be open to moving down for one of 53 / 56 / 65 right now.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Zona and Miami already have that time, even to move to 7.  You just don't know how the price could change, you get into draft night and Mayfield or Rosen is the only guy left at pick 7 and suddenly you've got Buffalo, Miami, Arizona, etc all really throwing offers at you.  If Tampa is open to moving back now for any sort of reasonable price, do it.  They are down a 3rd already from the JPP trade, they may be happy with any one of Ward / James / Edmonds / Roquan, feel comfortable of getting one at 12 and be open to moving down for one of 53 / 56 / 65 right now.

Bingo!  Price could go waaaay up on draft night once certain players start falling and time is of the essence

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

What if you can move from 12 to 7 now and it only costs a 2nd round pick? Then you have more options to possibly trade into the top 5 from there if the other team only has to drop to 7. If you wait until the draft and there's a really good player available maybe you have more competition and the price goes up

I agree Kdiggz but Tampa knows this also, so it's in their best interest to wait until the draft.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I could see us trading Hughes to move up to 7, and picking Mayfield. A new era of Bills football would begin. This is my dream scenario.

Is that a reasonable possibility? Because I’d be all over it! Kind of Cordy Part Deux. Wouldn’t waste a lot of picks going WAY up. Have to keep the poker face on and hold your water....

Why is this suprising?  Any GM should and would understand every scenario trading up or down based upon teams needs, their roster, etc...  This is what front offices would do.  If a player drops to 7 you better have a good idea as to what the cost would be in case you want a move.

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Is that a reasonable possibility? Because I’d be all over it! Kind of Cordy Part Deux. Wouldn’t waste a lot of picks going WAY up. Have to keep the poker face on and hold your water....

There was some rumor a few weeks ago that we were trying to trade Hughes as part of a trade up. Or maybe the rumor was just about Hughes and the trade up was speculation. Not much difference this time of year I suppose. I would love it if it was true. Whatever we're planning I don't think we'll know anything until draft night.

1 minute ago, kota said:

Why is this suprising?  Any GM should and would understand every scenario trading up or down based upon teams needs, their roster, etc...  This is what front offices would do.  If a player drops to 7 you better have a good idea as to what the cost would be in case you want a move.

Because he came out and said it on national TV. You aren't putting it out there unless you are very interested in doing it. Could you imagine if they interviewed Beane and he said he was taking calls about moving back and figuring out trade values? Everyone would be freaking out

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

You move to 7 you might as well relax and just pick at 12 and not give up draft picks

Lots of good players in this draft and we are still in a position to get a qb

Thats assuming no other teams jump in front of you to get their QB

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TOboy said:

I'd be all for this...on draft day. You only move to 8, or 7, if you know your guy is there. 

I think I move there now and then strike and attempt to move up higher, on draft night, if need be.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

What if you can move from 12 to 7 now and it only costs a 2nd round pick? Then you have more options to possibly trade into the top 5 from there if the other team only has to drop to 7. If you wait until the draft and there's a really good player available maybe you have more competition and the price goes up

I think Beane and company have a pretty good sense of what it's going to take to get to the spot they need to be. If that's the case, then absolutely, move up to 7 now. But just moving to 7 now in hopes you get the guy you want is risky on a number of levels (all your guys go early, other teams can jump ahead of you, etc.). 

I guess in short, I trust the process and won't be freaking out either way. But I get it if they wait until draft day. 

There is this growing calm that some how, some way, one if not two of these QBs will start to slip a little. Buffalo will only have to give up a couple of assets to move up and land them oppose to having to sell the farm to get up to one or two.

Yes, it would ease my nerves having secured a top pick, but I have a sense that maybe Beane isn't sold that guys like Rosen and Mayfield are locks to be gone before everyone anticipates.

I could be dead wrong, but I firmly believe only the Browns and Jets are dead set on a QB with their picks. Browns fourth could be open for business, but I think the Mayfield love out of Denver is hoping someone jumps up and pushes down a player like Barkley or Chubb (who ever they covet most).

Edited by BillsFan17

It's obvious that a lot of topics regarding player trades and pick trades were more fully discussed; it will be interesting to see how quickly moves are made and see if/how much the Jets premium affects these other trades...