Bucs GM on GMFB: Contacted about Trade-Back UPDATE: Bills were the team

KDIGGZ

On 3/28/2018 at 3:06 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Brady Quinn said today on Sirius that the Bills will trade down to #9 with the 49ers and it will cost perhaps a 3rd, at most a 2nd. He says we will draft Josh Allen at 9.

Don't shoot the messenger. :)

well it makes sense. i could see a trade to 4 with the browns, but chances are good that the browns take advantage of that spot for a huge player. that being said, the broncos will do whatever they want...don't see them trading out.

therefore, we should let the draft come to us . the colts may covet a player at 6, so whoever (qb) makes it to 7, then it's game on. this is what we should do instead of bending over trying to get to no.2.  if mayfield or allen fall to 7, we can make it happen ...or if everyone's gone we can sit at 12 and take rudolph or move back.. i say at sitting at 12 right now, wait til draft night and see how things develop.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

well it makes sense. i could see a trade to 4 with the browns, but chances are good that the browns take advantage of that spot for a huge player. that being said, the broncos will do whatever they want...don't see them trading out.

therefore, we should let the draft come to us . the colts may covet a player at 6, so whoever (qb) makes it to 7, then it's game on. this is what we should do instead of bending over trying to get to no.2.  if mayfield or allen fall to 7, we can make it happen ...or if everyone's gone we can sit at 12 and take rudolph or move back.. i say at sitting at 12 right now, wait til draft night and see how things develop.

Thank you for making good sense sir. If there is a run on QB's early good for the Bills at 12. they get top 10 talent at 12. If there is not a run at QB's good for the Bills at 12 to give very little in a trade up to get the QB they may covet at 7 or 9. Gotta wait til Draft night....

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

If you think giving up 3 second round picks to move up 3 spots with a 50% chance your #1 QB is off the board is a good move then you are part of the few that do. It was the equivalent of giving up the #1 overall pick. It rivels the Whaley move to give an extra first for Sammy Watkins. No way a good GM does that. It was a panic move by GM swinging for the fences to save his job. It's a move you make on draft day when the guy you want IS STILL ON THE BOARD, and even then it's borderline overpayment based simply on the value. Its a move you make to get to #1 not #3. 

So 50% is now a huge gamble? 50% is a huge risk of missing your guy?

Edited by BillsFan17

Wasn't sure where to ask this, but here makes sense, since Tampa could use Shaq Lawson.  Here's my ?

If Shaq Lawson is part of a trade up to #2 or #7, what do they do about a physical?  Would that have to be figured out before the trade?  They couldn't make it contingent on passing a physical, right, or could they......such as, if he fails the physical, the Bills have to give up a 2019 pick?

On 2018-03-28 at 8:29 PM, SydneyBillsFan said:

it's not nuclear physics:

- Trade 12 and 56 to the Bucs for 7 now

- If there is a QB we like available at 6, offer 7 + 65 to the Colts on draft night

- Keep 22 + 53 in your back pocket

Why would the Bucs do this now?

they'd have to be stupid. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Ideally, honestly, this is our target spot because we want Baker Mayfield.

Seriously, I hope this is a sign of that.

Personally, I think Mayfield is the best QB in this draft, but I think there's no way he goes top 4. And I think that's the consensus. So I hope Buffalo is preparing to trade up to #5-#10 depending on the situation for Mayfield.

Get

Baker

Mayfield!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/3/2018 at 7:08 PM, Bills Pimpin' said:

I said if the player is available at 7 or 9. The Jets didn't swoop in on the Bills. The Jets made a terrible trade for the #3 pick when they have no idea who will be there. I don't care what anyone says there is no way the Jets have 3 of these 5 QB's rated exactly the same. There is a huge chance they will have to settle on a QB they didn't have rated number 1 after spending 3 second round picks to move up 3 spots. There is no way the bills can get to #2 before the draft unless the Browns announce who they are taking and pinky swear on it. You should prolly go get some kind of medication if you are going to look at the news everyday waiting on a trade into the top 5. It ain't gonna happen before the 15 minutes between the Browns pick and the Giants pick.

I disagree with your point about the Jets...I think their trade up was a great move on their part, and frankly, I’m jealous that it couldn’t have been the Bills.

Furthermore, it doesn’t necessarily have to matter whether they get their top rated guy, as long as they think there’ll be 3 guys that could be franchise guys and they wouldn’t mind having them.

The Bills had a similar mindset in 1983...They had two 1st rounders that year but didn’t take a QB with their first pick because there were two guys they liked, and were guaranteed to get either one with their second pick...therefore, if the Jets like 3 guys it was an excellent trade!  But it doesn’t have to mean that the Jets give the same grade to all three- just that they would be happy with any of them.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2018 at 10:12 PM, Green Lightning said:

Allen will be a bust. No way McBeane was talking an inaccurate guy who can only focus on a primary read. We've had plenty of those already.

**we, but not he. Cam wasn't exactly the epitome of accuracy coming out either and he turned out ok. I'm not pro or anti Allen, and I can go either way w how I feel as his list of pros and cons is longer on bother sides than anyone else. I just wouldn't shut the door the same way I would w Jackson. And that's just me, but after jettisoning someone w a similar skill set and basically ignoring his workouts that seems like a shut door. 

Then again - it cld all be smoke:)

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ideally, honestly, this is our target spot because we want Baker Mayfield.

Seriously, I hope this is a sign of that.

Personally, I think Mayfield is the best QB in this draft, but I think there's no way he goes top 4. And I think that's the consensus. So I hope Buffalo is preparing to trade up to #5-#10 depending on the situation for Mayfield.

Get

Baker

Mayfield!!!

Again, caveat that this is just me...

I'd be happy w Baker. He seems to do a lot of things well. My biggest thing with him is nothing of his own doing. I cant get myself hyped bc I've been hoping they go to 2 and get their guy. Now, Mayfield very well may be it... and if so, later might be fine. I just feel like darnold and Rosen are the McDavid and eichel of this draft. Maybe Allen is there someday. If nothing else, for whatever reason if we ended up with him I'd be happy - but feel like we got the best of the rest rather than that elite talent and the potential star power that comes with it. 

Granted I could be 100% and acknowledge these are just my feelings. I have no clue how it shakes out of course. And in the end one of these lower guys could be the stud and it's a moot point. 

Edited by gobills1212

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:05 PM, BillsFan17 said:

So 50% is now a huge gamble? 50% is a huge risk of missing your guy?

If you have identified three qbs who you believe can be franchise qbs for you then you have more flexibility. The big gamble is staying at the 12 spot and waiting to see which qb falls in your lap. You may end up waiting at the altar while the expected bride is shacking up at the hotel with her real love object. However, if you maneuver yourself into the 5-9 spot you are hedging your bets and increasing the odds of getting a qb that meet your needs. The point is that this isn't an all or nothing proposition. There are some  very good options that can be taken. 

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you have identified three qbs who you believe can be franchise qbs for you then you have more flexibility. The big gamble is staying at the 12 spot and waiting to see which qb falls in your lap. You may end up waiting at the altar while the expected bride is shacking up at the hotel with her real love object. However, if you maneuver yourself into the 5-9 spot you are hedging your bets and increasing the odds of getting a qb that meet your needs. The point is that this isn't an all or nothing proposition. There are some  very good options that can be taken. 

The post you are quoting was in reference to a discussion about the Jets trade being bad because they are taking a "huge gamble" on not getting their guy at three.

To which I said it was not a huge gamble especially since we dont know what their board is set up like.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

The post you are quoting was in reference to a discussion about the Jets trade being bad because they are taking a "huge gamble" on not getting their guy at three.

To which I said it was not a huge gamble especially since we dont know what their board is set up like.

I agree with you. The position I stated can also apply to the Jets. They positioned themselves to get one of the qbs on their preferred list. If their list included Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield from where they are they will get one of them. Was it too costly to make the deal?  I don't think so because they should be able to come out of this draft with a franchise qb. For the Bills right now it makes more sense to wait and see how the draft actually unfolds. It appears that Beane is exploring preliminary deals with the teams ahead of us. He then will wait to see where his targeted qb/s  will fall. Why make a more costly deal with the Giants when a less costly deal can be made with the Colts, Denver and Tampa that will still meet our need?

On 3/28/2018 at 1:18 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

One of these guys will be there, it's just a question of which one. I'm guessing Rosen or Mayfield at this point, and I am okay either way. 

And I think this is what Beane meant when he said "striking distance."

TBH - I'm fine with any QB other than Jackson. He just looked horrible during his pro day. He seems to really struggle outside the numbers and too many throws were high. 

17 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I disagree with your point about the Jets...I think their trade up was a great move on their part, and frankly, I’m jealous that it couldn’t have been the Bills.

Furthermore, it doesn’t necessarily have to matter whether they get their top rated guy, as long as they think there’ll be 3 guys that could be franchise guys and they wouldn’t mind having them.

The Bills had a similar mindset in 1983...They had two 1st rounders that year but didn’t take a QB with their first pick because there were two guys they liked, and were guaranteed to get either one with their second pick...therefore, if the Jets like 3 guys it was an excellent trade!  But it doesn’t have to mean that the Jets give the same grade to all three- just that they would be happy with any of them.

Who was the other guy we liked? Marino?

6 is the spot we need to get to. The Browns are taking Darnold. The Giants would have taken him but take Barkley. The Jets I think will take Rosen. The Browns then take Chubb.  The Broncos take Allen. I don't think any of these top 5 trade down. The Colts I think want Chubb but since he is gone will trade down with the Bills and we take Mayfield. At least in my mind that's what's gonna happen. ?

Edited by Floydboy12