Jim Kelly Cancer Recovery - Final Surgery Scheduled for 11/28/18

The good news is that Jim Kelly's surgery is an indication that testing did not find metasticized cancer in other parts of the body.  I wouldn't be surprised if he underwent more chemo in case there are undetectable cancers elsewhere, but there is still hope he can beat this.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 3-28: Jim Kelly Undergoes Jaw Reconstruction Surgery Today - Operation Successful
Just now, bbb said:

So, was the cancer also in his lymph nodes?  The wording if taken literally is that they took the cancer only from the jaw. 

Don't they often remove lymph nodes as a means to prevent the spread of the disease? 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Don't they often remove lymph nodes as a means to prevent the spread of the disease? 

Could be, but now that you say that, I just thought about how it went with my mother's breast cancer surgery.  They removed lymph nodes and THEN tested them.  I believe if it was 3 or more testing positive, they considered it to be spread, and then she had 4.  (It was one over, whatever the baseline was) - but she lived 13 more years, and didn't die of cancer. 

So, that is probably it - removing them to test them. 

Or, to prevent spreading as you said.

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I thought so but am sure bbb is correct too.  I'm sure there is more work to do but it seems like a good day and result.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My dad went through radiation to beat his cancer and after 13 sessions, he beat it but it took a toll on his body.

I can't imagine what Jim is going through.  This is multiple procedures for him.  I respected Kelly for his toughness as a player but that level of respect has increased dramatically after going through this.....you have to be tough to go through this again.

Prayers for Jim.  If anyone can handle this, it's him.

As hard as this must be for him, I'm sure it pales when compared to what he went through with his son, Hunter.  As a dad I can't imagine anything that could be worse than losing a child.  Jim and his family have been through so much.  I hope they get a Mulligan on this one. They've definitely earned it.

Edited by Inigo Montoya